TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Will crowds be light or heavy on a typical opening day?

Will a lot of the coasters be closed? While I'm thinking everything will be tested/tuned up before opening day, I am picturing maintenance dudes ironing out kinks that arise once the public has arrived.

Is this overall a bad idea? LOL I'm hoping that because its so early in the season weather wise, your average theme park goers will not be around. Is this often the case? Thanks for any info/opinions/help.

_joey

Going on opening day is a great idea! I'll be there for sure. Crowds are generally really light, though the park is opening a few weeks later this year so the weather might be a little better, possibly leading to larger crowds.

It's almost a guarantee that every coaster will be open (except for Kingda Ka because of the construction). I've probably been to Great Adventure 10-15 times in the last few years and every coaster has been open every time I've been there (including opening day last year when it was really cold).

The only downsides to opening day are that sometimes the coasters don't have all of their trains yet (last year Batman and El Toro opened with 1 and Nitro opened with 2) and the rides break down a lot throughout the day (I'm not sure why but this happens every year). Crews can also be a little slower since they're new, but popular rides like El Toro and Kingda Ka (if it's open) will probably have great crews so it's not too big of a deal.

Also, Great Adventure doesn't care about weather at all. So if it's cold and people are talking about other parks not opening their coasters in cold temperatures due to "manufacturers recommendations" rest assured that Great Adventure doesn't concern themselves with that kind of crap.

Going on opening day is a great idea! I'll be there for sure. Crowds are generally really light, though the park is opening a few weeks later this year so the weather might be a little better, possibly leading to larger crowds.

It's almost a guarantee that every coaster will be open (except for Kingda Ka because of the construction). I've probably been to Great Adventure 10-15 times in the last few years and every coaster has been open every time I've been there (including opening day last year when it was really cold).

The only downsides to opening day are that sometimes the coasters don't have all of their trains yet (last year Batman and El Toro opened with 1 and Nitro opened with 2) and the rides break down a lot throughout the day (I'm not sure why but this happens every year). Crews can also be a little slower since they're new, but popular rides like El Toro and Kingda Ka (if it's open) will probably have great crews so it's not too big of a deal.

Also, Great Adventure doesn't care about weather at all. So if it's cold and people are talking about other parks not opening their coasters in cold temperatures due to "manufacturers recommendations" rest assured that Great Adventure doesn't concern themselves with that kind of crap.

Thanks so much! This is so reassuring and has gotten me even more hype for this day!

What is the deal with that corner of the Park being closed off? I've yet to understand that....

Old Country? It was closed by the previous management and only had bumper cars and a Music Express (besides some food and game stands) after 2007 when it closed. With Fender Benders added to Adventure Alley, they probably don't see the need to have it opened until they need the space for something.

Looks like they went in with a scalpel and carefully took out Rolling Thunder. I wonder if they kept the queue untouched for a reason? I guess we'll find out if it stays like that during the season.

I was a bit surprised myself, I had a feeling it was going to look a lot emptier than it does. I have a strong feeling they're going to be using this queue for something in the near future. Maybe not as soon as next year, but we'll see.

Will crowds be light or heavy on a typical opening day?

Will a lot of the coasters be closed? While I'm thinking everything will be tested/tuned up before opening day, I am picturing maintenance dudes ironing out kinks that arise once the public has arrived.

Is this overall a bad idea? LOL I'm hoping that because its so early in the season weather wise, your average theme park goers will not be around. Is this often the case? Thanks for any info/opinions/help.

I was fortunate to go last year because I won a sweepstakes. There was also this concert going on and Neyo and some of the cast from Jersey Shore were there as well.

However, the park was basically dead. We had exit passes but the lines didn't look too long anyway. The longest we waited was for El Toro in the front and maybe about 20 minutes? I think the line for Toro was about 20 minutes, plus however long for the row you wanted.

El Toro was delayed a bit in opening because of the cold. Ka was the longest delay but opened mid-afternoon for a while before it started having rollbacks and closed again (but as you said, it might be closed anyway). Nitro had some issues during the day but it was open for the most part. All other major coasters were open and if they had issues, I wasn't there when it happened.

Thanks for the info on opening day. Any other experiences would be nice as well. It's almost here I think about it everyday! Getting a group of some friends together and gonna check out the scene on April 12th.

This is my first post on ThemeParkReview, so I thought it would be fitting to post in the thread of my "home park away from home" (home park being SFA), and my favorite Six Flags park.

The 2014 season looks to be really exciting for Great Adventure, and while I'll miss Rolling Thunder, I'm all for progress and future expansion. Let's hope Six Flags does this transition right and doesn't leave a glaring hole in their 40 year history.

The fact that they kept Rolling Thunder's station and queue intact makes me a bit nervous that they aren't going to capitalize on the huge amount of room that is open for them to expand. Plaza Del Carnival and Golden Kingdom can become connected and extend down to a newer area that would be able to hold a replacement for Rolling Thunder as well as whatever the future may hold.

^ El Toro would like to talk to you (reused Vipers station).

That isn't what I'm saying. Without a coaster directly between El Toro and Kingda Ka, they have room to expand that section of the park down a lot further and add more stuff that the park needs.

That isn't what I'm saying. Without a coaster directly between El Toro and Kingda Ka, they have room to expand that section of the park down a lot further and add more stuff that the park needs.

He just means its possible SF is just planning to reuse rolling thunder's station a la El toro did with Vipers for a future coaster on the same plot.

He just means its possible SF is just planning to reuse rolling thunder's station a la El toro did with Vipers for a future coaster on the same plot.

Isn't RT's queue a little small for a coaster? If they are reusing it has to be expanded to accommodate for the crowds. But it seems like a good idea to reuse the space. It saves money.

Without a coaster in Rolling Thunder's spot, they have a lot of space to create an expansion down that side of the park towards the Safari. If they put a new coaster where Rolling Thunder was, they can only expand down that way from Golden Kingdom.

I highly doubt that RT's area will be used for zumanjaro. Kingda Ka's queue splits into two ares. It would be better to have the coaster on one side and the drop tower on the other. RT's area will most likely by used for future expansion. Whether that is a new coaster or I even heard that it could be a new themed section!

The fact that they kept Rolling Thunder's station and queue intact makes me a bit nervous that they aren't going to capitalize on the huge amount of room that is open for them to expand.

I hate to rain on this conversation about how the station is still intact but...

^Even thought the station isn't intact (which makes sense- that would REALLY limit their coaster/expansion future in that area), the fact that they left the queue should certainly be noticed. There is no reason for them to leave it there if they don't have plans to utilize it in the near future. Everyone is saying this is such a horrible thing, which I'm not saying it is or isn't, but that does give us some reassurance that that area won't be left bare for the next 10 years or closed off like Old Country. There is no guarantee that they'll actually use that space and/or build a new coaster there until they say so, which they haven't.

LOTS of parks have old queue lines that haven't been reused. Heck, Flight Commander's queue is still intact at Kings Island and it closed in 1995. I think this area is ripe for a new addition but I don't think that leaving the queue is a signal one way or the other that this is where the next big addition will go.

LOTS of parks have old queue lines that haven't been reused. Heck, Flight Commander's queue is still intact at Kings Island and it closed in 1995. I think this area is ripe for a new addition but I don't think that leaving the queue is a signal one way or the other that this is where the next big addition will go.

That may be true but SFGAdv doesn't do this a lot. Its true that the chillers queue is there but that area is closed off. With toro next to it, I would think that not removing the queue is a sign that something could be coming in the near future...