TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Hello!

I'll fly from Europe to NYC end of March and I will be visiting NYC 9-13 April. Before that I had to organize a tour and I want definitely go to SixFlags GA for King Da Ka.

But I'm scare about many things:

First is there a confirmed opening days ? It was March then 12th April, then 5th April... what is right ? My ideal day would be 7 or 8th April any chance to be open ? It's crazy that there is no information yet on their website.

Secondly, id by chance it's open went I could go, how high is the risk to have King Da Ka closed due to the installation of the (sh****y) drop tower on it ? I would be so pissed off if the only time in my life I could come here the world record coaster would be closed.

Third, as I can very rarely go to major theme park I prefer to put more money and enjoy it as much as possible. How expensive would be a flash pass to be able to ride and re-ride unlimited without wait ? Any promo for TPR members for 2014 ? (when I try the login at six flags accesso it's not loading the site...).

Thanks for any help, as early as I can have reliable information the more easy I can prepare my trip.

^Well, I've just been to their website and couldn't find the opening day, all they said was "We'll see you in April 2014". As to kingda ka being closed or not, I don't know but I'm sure someone else here will know.

About the flash pass, there are 3 levels: regular, gold and platinum. As they explain on the site, the regular one will allow you to wait the same time as everyone else but without having to be in the queue, so you can do something else. Gold gives you a 50 % reduction on waiting times (and you still don't have to queue) and platinum provides a 90% reduction (not only that, they give you a bracelet which allows people to ride twice in a row without leaving their seats.) Platinum will guarantee that get plenty of rides everywhere although it's not always necessary (that depends on how crowded it is). Last summer me and my dad had platinum flash pass and we paid 214 dollars. I think for one person it is 120 and gets cheaper as you add more people all the way up to six. Again, I'm not sure how crowded it will be (assuming it is open) but someone will be able to tell you.

Hello!

I'll fly from Europe to NYC end of March and I will be visiting NYC 9-13 April. Before that I had to organize a tour and I want definitely go to SixFlags GA for King Da Ka.

First is there a confirmed opening days ? It was March then 12th April, then 5th April... what is right ? My ideal day would be 7 or 8th April any chance to be open ? It's crazy that there is no information yet on their website.

Secondly, id by chance it's open went I could go, how high is the risk to have King Da Ka closed due to the installation of the (sh****y) drop tower on it ? I would be so pissed off if the only time in my life I could come here the world record coaster would be closed.

Third, as I can very rarely go to major theme park I prefer to put more money and enjoy it as much as possible. How expensive would be a flash pass to be able to ride and re-ride unlimited without wait ? Any promo for TPR members for 2014 ? (when I try the login at six flags accesso it's not loading the site...).

Thanks for any help, as early as I can have reliable information the more easy I can prepare my trip.

Great Adventure is guaranteed to be open on the 12th because they have events listed for that day on their website. I'd think this will be their opening weekend... it's not looking like they're going to open earlier.

I'm expecting Kingda Ka to be closed at the beginning of the season but I'm basing this only on the fact that it's Six Flags. Still... El Toro will be open and that's really all that matters. Who knows... they might surprise us and have Kingda Ka open but I seriously doubt it. They have an entire offseason to work on it and if we were talking about Dollywood or Cedar Point I'd have no doubt that the ride would be open in plenty of time but we're talking about Six Flags here.

Even without Kingda Ka you'll love Great Adventure. Nitro, Batman and Bizarro are all great coasters and El Toro will make you forget that Kingda Ka even exists. It's by far the best ride in the park (maybe the best ride in the world according to last year's Mitch Hawker results)... Kingda Ka doesn't even come close. Seriously... don't stress over Kingda Ka potentially being closed. Look on the bright side, that's just more time you can be re-riding El Toro.

Also, just a few random tips.

- As far as Flash Pass, don't buy it before you get to the park. Even if money isn't an issue it might not help you at all on opening weekend because depending on the weather it can be pretty dead. If the lines never get beyond the merge points then it won't help you.

- Be sure to check out Houdini's Great Escape while you're here. It's easy to miss but it's a pretty cool ride.

- If Kingda Ka is open take your first ride in the second row because it's going to have the shortest line since most people bottleneck and don't realize that row is empty. Then ride it in the front... it's much better in the front but I'd suggest riding in row 2 first because it's an unreliable piece of crap and the longer wait for the front gives it more of a chance to break down. Better to get 1 ride in row 2 than no rides because you're waiting for row 1.

- On El Toro, ride in the back car (I prefer one seat from the back). Once you pass the garbage can in the station there won't be long waits. For some reason nobody passes the garbage can.

- With the Flash Pass you can reserve your next ride as soon as you pass the attendant at the merge point who checks your Flash Pass. Don't wait for the ride to be over before reserving El Toro again (I mean whatever ride you're going to reserve next), it's a waste of time.

I wonder if they'll ever expand past Kingda Ka now that Rolling Thunder is gone and the Safari entrance is within the park itself. This way, they could extend all the way towards Hurricane Harbor. They could then, if they wished, make SFGADv a 3 For 1 park.

I know someone at Six Flags He said that they are trying to get Kingda Ka and Zumanjaro to open with the park. so you might not have a problem there.

They can try all they want but it's probably not going to happen. Let's look at the track record. I may be leaving out some kids rides here but I'm not sure.

In 2013 the park opened Safari Off Road Adventure: This was not open on Opening day. It was a pile of dirt.

In 2012 the park opened Sky Screamer, Air Jumbo (which was just relocated from storage), Bumper Cars and Deja Vu. These were all empty pads on Opening Day except for Sky Screamer which wasn't open either but at least there was a tower there, the Bumper cars were a concrete path on Opening Day with no hint that there would be a ride there. Four new rides... none of them were ready for opening day.

In 2011 Green Lantern was not open for opening day.

In 2010 there were no new rides.

In 2009 there were no new rides, but they changed Medusa's name to Bizarro and pretended it was new. And guess what... they couldn't even get that ready for opening day! It opened at end end of May! No, I'm not kidding.

In 2008 they opened the Dark Knight. This didn't open until May 15th.

In 2007 there were no new rides.

In 2006 they opened El Toro and Tango. El Toro didn't open until the Summer, Tango was also not ready for opening day.

In 2005 they added Kingda Ka which was not ready for opening day, neither was the rest of the Golden Kingdom except for the small part that used to be Frontier Adventures and contained no rides.

In 2004 they didn't add anything.

In 2003 they added Superman... it didn't open until April 18th (a few weeks into the season).

In 2002 they added nothing.

In 2001 they opened Nitro on Opening Day. That was 13 years ago and it was the last new ride they managed to open on opening day.

Combine this track record with the fact that it's an Intamin ride being built ridiculously far away from the current pathway and there is no chance that this ride is going to be open on time. That doesn't necessarily mean Kingda Ka won't be open, but it's not likely.

I don't mean to complain here. I like Great Adventure and I'm really lucky to have El Toro less than 3 hours from my house but getting rides open for opening day isn't their strong point.

I remember the advertisements for Bizarro. The "all new" Bizarro coaster. It actually did convince some people it was a new coaster from what I remember hearing from other guests in the park in 2009.

I was surprised nothing from Adventure Alley was ready for opening day in 2012. I was expecting Air Jumbo and Deja Vu to be open (although I only cared about Deja Vu)

I know someone at Six Flags He said that they are trying to get Kingda Ka and Zumanjaro to open with the park. so you might not have a problem there.

They can try all they want but it's probably not going to happen. Let's look at the track record. I may be leaving out some kids rides here but I'm not sure.

In 2013 the park opened Safari Off Road Adventure: This was not open on Opening day. It was a pile of dirt.

In 2012 the park opened Sky Screamer, Air Jumbo (which was just relocated from storage), Bumper Cars and Deja Vu. These were all empty pads on Opening Day except for Sky Screamer which wasn't open either but at least there was a tower there, the Bumper cars were a concrete path on Opening Day with no hint that there would be a ride there. Four new rides... none of them were ready for opening day.

In 2011 Green Lantern was not open for opening day.

In 2010 there were no new rides.

In 2009 there were no new rides, but they changed Medusa's name to Bizarro and pretended it was new. And guess what... they couldn't even get that ready for opening day! It opened at end end of May! No, I'm not kidding.

In 2008 they opened the Dark Knight. This didn't open until May 15th.

In 2007 there were no new rides.

In 2006 they opened El Toro and Tango. El Toro didn't open until the Summer, Tango was also not ready for opening day.

In 2005 they added Kingda Ka which was not ready for opening day, neither was the rest of the Golden Kingdom except for the small part that used to be Frontier Adventures and contained no rides.

In 2004 they didn't add anything.

In 2003 they added Superman... it didn't open until April 18th (a few weeks into the season).

In 2002 they added nothing.

In 2001 they opened Nitro on Opening Day. That was 13 years ago and it was the last new ride they managed to open on opening day.

Combine this track record with the fact that it's an Intamin ride being built ridiculously far away from the current pathway and there is no chance that this ride is going to be open on time. That doesn't necessarily mean Kingda Ka won't be open, but it's not likely.

I don't mean to complain here. I like Great Adventure and I'm really lucky to have El Toro less than 3 hours from my house but getting rides open for opening day isn't their strong point.

- Big Red Planes opened in 2007

- Also Golden Kingdom was delayed cause families complained about Bugs Bunny Land closing early

Hello!

Great Adventure is guaranteed to be open on the 12th because they have events listed for that day on their website. I'd think this will be their opening weekend... it's not looking like they're going to open earlier.

I'm expecting Kingda Ka to be closed at the beginning of the season but I'm basing this only on the fact that it's Six Flags. Still... El Toro will be open and that's really all that matters. Who knows... they might surprise us and have Kingda Ka open but I seriously doubt it. They have an entire offseason to work on it and if we were talking about Dollywood or Cedar Point I'd have no doubt that the ride would be open in plenty of time but we're talking about Six Flags here.

Even without Kingda Ka you'll love Great Adventure. Nitro, Batman and Bizarro are all great coasters and El Toro will make you forget that Kingda Ka even exists. It's by far the best ride in the park (maybe the best ride in the world according to last year's Mitch Hawker results)... Kingda Ka doesn't even come close. Seriously... don't stress over Kingda Ka potentially being closed. Look on the bright side, that's just more time you can be re-riding El Toro.

Also, just a few random tips.

- As far as Flash Pass, don't buy it before you get to the park. Even if money isn't an issue it might not help you at all on opening weekend because depending on the weather it can be pretty dead. If the lines never get beyond the merge points then it won't help you.

- Be sure to check out Houdini's Great Escape while you're here. It's easy to miss but it's a pretty cool ride.

- If Kingda Ka is open take your first ride in the second row because it's going to have the shortest line since most people bottleneck and don't realize that row is empty. Then ride it in the front... it's much better in the front but I'd suggest riding in row 2 first because it's an unreliable piece of crap and the longer wait for the front gives it more of a chance to break down. Better to get 1 ride in row 2 than no rides because you're waiting for row 1.

- On El Toro, ride in the back car (I prefer one seat from the back). Once you pass the garbage can in the station there won't be long waits. For some reason nobody passes the garbage can.

- With the Flash Pass you can reserve your next ride as soon as you pass the attendant at the merge point who checks your Flash Pass. Don't wait for the ride to be over before reserving El Toro again (I mean whatever ride you're going to reserve next), it's a waste of time.

Also don't miss the parachute tower, it's a pretty rare ride now.

Kingda Ka closes all the time just for weather-related reasons, and you're talking about early springtime, so between that and the drop tower construction I'd say there's a pretty good chance it'll be closed. But you shouldn't go there for Kingda Ka, you should go there for El Toro, one of the best wooden coasters ever built, and Nitro, probably the best B&M hyper ever built.

I did confirm that those big footings behind kingda ka are going to be extra supports for the tower so it is safe to say kingda ka will not be open at all during the construction. I have also been told that the construction is behind schedule due to many reason weather being a big part of it.

I have also been told that the construction is behind schedule due to many reason weather being a big part of it.

Interesting to hear since we have had a mild winter off season to date. This region has had one week of bad weather.

No, it was pretty severe. Plus, I'm sure there are concerns about the retrofitting to the structure. It seems that some of the support columns will need to be replaced, meaning the structural integrity needs to be temporarily weakened. I'm sure we will see quick movement in the next month!

Of course, then again, this is Six Flags we are talking about... it may be a while...

There has been one week of severe weather in the region and that is most recent in many people's minds.

I'll check these charts again when more data is available, but for November 2013.

Average November Monthly Rainfall in New Jersey = 2.83 inches less than an average of 3.64 inches over the past 30 years.

http://climate.rutgers.edu/stateclim_v1/data/njhistprecip.html

Average Monthly Temperature in November in New Jersey was 43.0 degrees, which is 2.6 degrees lower than the most recent 30 year average. But an average temperature of 43 degrees should not prevent work from getting done.

http://climate.rutgers.edu/stateclim_v1/data/njhisttemp.html

I know there are plenty of engineering but don't use weather as a excuse. I didn't have to wear a winter jacket in November or December and the temperature in NYC doesn't deviate that greatly from Jackson, NJ.

true.

I think something we do need to keep in mind is that this ride is more than just the steel on the tower. remember this project started wight he removal of RT. I'm sure there has been some infrastructure in that area of the park redesigned/built to accommodate the new area. Its quite large when you realize how far the pathway needs to go to get to the back of the tower...

Drove past the intersection of Rte 526 and Old Noah Hunt Rd on my way to my mother's place and snapped this photo of two cranes at the site (one big, one small). I didn't see any other similar photos here, so I figured I'd share.

1064037451_NewImage.thumb.JPG.cdbac66680646fb0acf7c4d3744f9d55.JPG