TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I find it crazy how one of their excuses for removing a classic ride was that there was "a new generation of rides" was now being built... Intamin has had the ability to build a drop tower onto a coaster tower for the past 13 years (built giant drop attached to ToT at dreamworlds in 1998)

I find it crazy how one of their excuses for removing a classic ride was that there was "a new generation of rides" was now being built... Intamin has had the ability to build a drop tower onto a coaster tower for the past 13 years (built giant drop attached to ToT at dreamworlds in 1998)

The point is that Rolling Thunder is much older and outdated compared to the new generation of coasters and rides that we have now. In 1979 there were no 415ft drop towers mounted on 456ft tall roller coasters. Rolling Thunder was a top notch ride when it opened and now its time for it to retire so that the new generation of rides can take over.

While I like these drop rides in theory, the business side of me says...

Take out more family friendly ride (even if it is painful) with HUGE capacity. Install non-family friendly ride with small capacity. Profit?

Reminds me a LOT of Six Flags circa 2001.

Hm... Had an interesting look at the satellite view of Kingda Ka. Noticed there's not much room there between the tower and the hydraulic motor room. From what it looks, it's kind of cramped unless they're planning on flipping the hydraulic motor room around for some more space, hence the removal of Rolling Thunder. If there "wasn't enough room" as SF states, then how were they able to install Kingda Ka in the first place, and why would they need to remove it now if the drop towers are going inside of Kingda Ka. I don't know, something about the way they worded the Rolling Thunder removal seems like a PR reason to remove it, versus the real reason of them poorly taking care of it.

I'm going to SFGADV for the first time, a week from Sunday with a couple friends. Can anyone give me a good plan of attack, I want to ride as many of the rides as possible. What should we ride first, etc etc. Thanks for the help.

RIDE ROLLING THUNDER AS MANY TIMES AS YOU CAN BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!!!

But if it is too late by then, I suggest going on the Safari Off-Road Adventure first because the lines for that were absolutely crazy when I went to the park last week. Afterwards, go to Bizarro and Kingda Ka because they're generally close to one another. El Toro is most likely still going to be down for a while, so don't bother with it.

While I like these drop rides in theory, the business side of me says...

Take out more family friendly ride (even if it is painful) with HUGE capacity. Install non-family friendly ride with small capacity. Profit?

Reminds me a LOT of Six Flags circa 2001.

Rolling Thunder HAD huge capacity, years ago (before the seatbelts). During my year working it, the standard throughput was between 400-500 riders per side an hour. To ride it with a 1 train wait could take 15 minutes if you add in the time spent sitting on the brake run... It's time had come. Hopefully they soon add another coaster for the smaller set, but there's still Blackbeard, Runaway Train, Skull Mountain and the Dark Knight Coaster

Really excited for the drop tower, and the return of the ferocious baboons. It would be awesome if they put a car in their exhibit for them to destroy!

Think positively, with the leaving of Rolling Thunder, SFGAd might get another RMC! (Does El Toro count as a RMC?) Plus, they are getting a drop tower finally!

I'm going to say no to this one. It appears they did none of the design work with Intamin on this and just did the physical construction. On their website it's listed as "Roller Coaster Construction" (along with 6 others). Interestingly, they don't have a section for the only current ride they designed from top to bottom (Outlaw Run), or rides they massively overhauled (Iron Rattler and New Texas Giant), however they do have a section of "Roller Coaster Repairs." I would say they should put these newer rides on, but I think everyone already knows who they are at this point and the rides are speaking for themselves!

In other news... EL TORO WAS TESTING TODAY!!! Hopefully it will reopen soon!

Anyone see it testing today? Or even better yet with riders? Was trying to go tomorrow, this would be a nice surprise.

I'm not very familiar with this park - but did I not read the release that stated "to make way for this new attraction, Rolling Thunder will be removed, get your last rides....."? Is it what people are saying - that they need to remove it from the expense report to make way for the new ride? Or are they really going to use some of the land from RT as part of the queue?

From the sounds of it, this is SFGA's version of SFOT's Judge Roy Scream? Not a lot of sentimental value?

Honestly there is plenty of room for a path to Zumanjaro, and a queue for it WITHOUT removing Rolling Thunder. Actually more than enough, so I'm on the side of they are removing Rolling Thunder because of capacity, maintence issues, and drop in popularity, and new ride/rides/roller coaster will occupy its plot in the future. Removing it now "for" Zumanjaro is simply just a convient time and reason.

In other news... EL TORO WAS TESTING TODAY!!! Hopefully it will reopen soon!

Anyone see it testing today? Or even better yet with riders? Was trying to go tomorrow, this would be a nice surprise.

El Toro has reopened.

Just in time for Riding of the Bull Cinco next Saturday. This will be the first one I miss. I've been at all 4! I'm heading to LA for WCB instead.