TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I was really hoping CP would do something similar to TTD.

They still could, at some point!

I doubt they ever would - there's no record to be broken!

If they could build to the tippy-top, 420 (or even 416) is bigger than 415 for this new one. However, I'd have to say that unless it is built on the back, that would get too close to the track. And if it was built on the back, TTD would have to be dismantled a lot more than KK would for the front (I would imagine), especially if it was built on the tower's "spine" (they would have to fork the spine up vertical where it bends back towards the tower, and then strengthen the spine.)

Well I must say is am impressed with the drop tower, but on the other hand rolling thunder makes me sad. I mean yeah it wasn't the best wooden coaster but it holds value. People share so many memories of the ride from its heyday, as a first coaster for the racing factor, the year it went backwards and how the park grew around it. Gadv doesn't have many rides like this left it wasn't the best but for anyone who really knows gadv this ride is special and I'm sure gonna miss it.

This looks awesome and terrifying, and I'm so glad that next year I'm finally returning to the park. As for Rolling Thunder, I'm delighted to see it go. The only coaster that I've ever absolutely hated. I've always fantasized about an Intamin similar to Maverick going in that area, but anything that replaces that pile of wood would be a massive improvement. Overall, great job Six Flags!

As anybody who's ridden LL:DOD can tell you, the ascent is actually much scarier than the descent. I finally got to ride it when Superman launched and it really does add a whole other element to the ride. I kept waiting for it to stop shaking and before I could think we were already dropping. And all of the people riding on the same side as me were talking about the shaking more than the drop. I can imagine that the shaking will be even more on this drop tower.

I still say LL:DOD should add rotating cars that make you drop head first.

I really like the idea of these retrofitted towers. Seems Intamin resurrecting their "track" style drop patterns from the older towers and updating them was a great idea. I guess Six Flags is confident the Intamin cable from Ka won't come flying up from below to further thrill ascending riders.

Should be a great view up there, too. I know looking toward that direction is nicer than looking off the back side of KK. It should offer even better views than Lex Luther if timed right. I'd love to drop alongside a coaster train. I wonder if the entrance will be in the Golden Kingdom or back toward Bizarro?

Zumanjaro looks awesome! While I'm not sure the view will be as interesting as that of LL:DoD, I do think it will be super neat to watch Kingda Ka trains coming and going.

As someone who hasn't been to Great Adventure since 2007, has Rolling Thunder really gotten that bad? I'm shocked to hear that the park is removing it. I remember the ride being a lot of fun--not overly rough and full of pops of airtime. (Maybe my memory is failing me, though. haha)

Hmmm Now they will have room to build a RMC Coaster!

That said this looks awesome! Honestly a bit nervous to ride that thing.

In a way, they already have a RMC coaster - Rocky Mountain did construction work (although not design) on El Toro.

^You and I both know that's not even "in a way" having an RMC.

As anybody who's ridden LL:DOD can tell you, the ascent is actually much scarier than the descent. I finally got to ride it when Superman launched and it really does add a whole other element to the ride. I kept waiting for it to stop shaking and before I could think we were already dropping. And all of the people riding on the same side as me were talking about the shaking more than the drop. I can imagine that the shaking will be even more on this drop tower.

I'd say it'll shake way less. The Ka tower doesn't sway, it's much, much bulkier and the triangle tower adds a lot of stability. I'd be surprised if this one sways noticeably at all, really.

Was never a huge Rolling Thunder fan. It is a shame when those older coasters go by the wayside, but other than nostalgia, it really was not a coaster worth saving, IMHO. This ride seems like a decent replacement, especially since I would actually ride this regularly.

I only wish it was a design more akin to Falcon's Fury - the seats should tip forward at least 45 degrees once they ascend to the top. Not sure when I'll ever make it to Tampa and get on that one.

Also, Some Sad News:

To make room for the newest addition to Six Flags Great Adventure, we must bid farewell to a classic. Rolling Thunder, our classic wooden coaster, will close to the public on September 8 to help make way for construction of the new ride. New technological advances and preferences have created a new generation of thrill rides, and Rolling Thunder’s popularity has decreased over the years. Be sure to tackle this coaster’s 85-foot drop and 10 dipping hills before it slips into history.

At least you guys still have El Toro

A little verklummt over this, having riddent it a few times with my late DF before moving here to FL. But when I first detoured Rolling Thunder for El Toro on my last trip to Great Adventure in 2011 (I'm former New Jerseyan and I still call Six Flags Great Adventure, well, Great Adventure.) and found that it kicked its rear and it became my go-to woodie.

Anyway, that ride makes Great Adventure a future destination for a near-future vacation. This would spur even a move when I become a millionaire through a - *ahem* - legit entrepreneurship venture...

I always disliked Rolling Thunder, but this year it was running much better than usual. I enjoyed it a lot this year actually. Although it sucks to see it go, the amount of potential they have with this removal is huge and I really hope they don't block themselves in by adding a dead end coaster station and queue somewhere.

Cedar Point should consider this on Dragster.

They already have a Power Tower so I can't see why they would do this.

Power Tower is a completely different ride than Lex Luthor, I've been on both multiple times, but Dragster uses the space in between the tower as the queue for the ride, so it would be very hard for them to build a drop tower off the side.