TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Surprised this on the front side. After the cable breaking during the first year (or was the second year) if I recall they stopped using the infield queue. Haven't been since 2007 so maybe the old one is back in service but otherwise I assume they will use the old queue for the drop ride. It was very cool to be inside during the Kinda Ka launches.

All the comments on the SFGAdv Facebook announcement..."Isn't that just Kingda Ka? Looks just like Kingda Ka! So basically this is a renamed Kingda Ka?"

Always hate to say this about any coaster, good or bad, but in regards to Rolling Thunder, good riddance. After Mean Streak, definitely the roughest ride I've been on.

Although GADV is losing a classic (Let's face it they didn't take perfect care of it which turned a lot of riders away) that leaves a massive area for future improvements! Who knows maybe one year we will see RMC do a dueling remake of Rolling Thunder... As far as the drop towers, it's about time! Since Stuntmans Freefall was removed there has been nothing of the type in the park. I'm excited to see the changes next year, and years following.

So does this make only 3 coasters for kids? I dunno about them removing RT... Hopefully next season they will do like SFMM is doing and expand their kids coaster options. I didn't expect them to remove RT... I guess them gives them room to expand on the safari experience. It's going to be weird riding El Toro and not crossing over RT anymore. I guess always thought it to be the norm for parks to all have and maintain a classic family friendly wooden coaster. Anyway... Zumanjaro was expected and I hope I can muster the bravery to ride it. Between this and Falcon Fury... 2014 is going to end up feeling like fear factor.

NOOOO ROLLING THUNDER! The dismay of it leaving balances the excitement of this ride. As terrible as Rolling Thunder may be for others, I always thought it was a really fun ride. Not all that rough. Plus I would always find myself grinning and laughing like an idiot the whole time (perhaps because it throws you around in unique and interesting ways), and provides a different kind of fun that isn't present anywhere else in the park. Not even whatever ends up replacing RT can imitate that fun, which I think can only be had from an old wooden coaster.

Man, what am I doing? I shouldn't even be this upset about it

Although GADV is losing a classic (Let's face it they didn't take perfect care of it which turned a lot of riders away) that leaves a massive area for future improvements! Who knows maybe one year we will see RMC do a dueling remake of Rolling Thunder... As far as the drop towers, it's about time! Since Stuntmans Freefall was removed there has been nothing of the type in the park. I'm excited to see the changes next year, and years following.

This is perhaps what I'm most excited about. I'm really curious to see how this extra land is going to be used in the coming years. Based on it's location, additional rides in both the Golden Kingdom AND Plaza del Carnival are possible! I think a couple family-style flats would fit nicely.

Upon looking at the Facebook comments, I also noticed a plethora of parents who were disappointed at this. It is one less ride their kids can ride, and one more they can't.

This is a valid point, and I'm hoping that it is taken into consideration with whatever they choose to do above. They did a good job addressing this issue a couple years ago with the Adventure Alley expansion, but one more decent family coaster I feel will be needed now that Rolling Thunder is rollin' out to pasture.

One of the positives of Rolling Thunder leaving is that the park has so much room to expand now. That entire area of the safari behind El Toro and Bizarro is not used and will be empty next season after the monkeys are moved into the theme park.

And with the planned hotel now looking like it will go through I'm guessing the park will have an even higher attendance making larger expansions much more feasible.

1885548657_expansionroom.thumb.PNG.fff2a373e7db779fd85261095f9661d1.PNG

All I can think of when I read the name is "Juuuumannngi!"

And I as well. Can't see myself not just calling it Jumanji now this late in the game (5 minutes after I read the press release).

Has anyone ridden SFMM's Drop Tower who can also compare it to the Second-Gen Intamin Drops? I know the vehicle and restraint system are a bit different with these new SFGAdv/SFMM towers, but based on the eye test, I'd imagine (and hope) the ride experience is still closer to the Second-Gens than the impressive looking but much tamer (lamer) Third-Gen Gyro Drops.

It's going to be weird riding El Toro and not crossing over RT anymore. I guess always thought it to be the norm for parks to all have and maintain a classic family friendly wooden coaster. .

Not when the cost of maintaining the ride outweighs the popularity.

I am excited for this! I LOVE drop towers - one of my favorite kind of rides. I was mad when I was at Magic Mountain that theirs was broke down and now I am moving far away from New Jersey - looks like I will making a east coast trip in the next few years.

Anyone know if it will shake like it does on Lex Luthor due to Superman? I bet Kingda Ka doesn't have a similar sway structure base (maybe it does) so it won't sway, but maybe it will still shake from the vibrations of Kingda Ka? Or are the drop cars too far away to feel anything? This would be a cool bonus if it's there.

How about the view of the park that this ride will now provide? I can already imagine climbing up at dusk, all of the park lights on as the sun gently sets on the horizon in the distance. It will truly be one-of-a-kind. This was why I was really hoping for the ride to be on the front of the tower; all of this would be missing if it were facing any other direction.

Edited by michaellynn4

Personally I have no problem with the departure of Rolling Thunder as long as they use the space to put a decent flat or coaster in it's place. I don't want to see that space end up like the Chiller's with nothing replacing it. The drop tower looks like a great flat but if that's the only reason they took out Rolling Thunder then I'll be disappointed in that decision because despite me not liking the ride, it was the most popular family ride in the park. But I understand costs of maintaining it became pretty high.

Great Adventure, beating out height records by like 20 feet ish since 2005.

This post didn't get the attention it deserved. It made me laugh out loud at work.

All kidding aside though, this thing looks outstanding. I rode Lex Luthor earlier this year and was very impressed, I'm sure this will be even better.

I love Great Adventure and this ride just looks amazing. Sad about Rolling Thunder, but lets be honest that ride was terrible. Think about it they could put in a great dueling/racing GCI. That would be the perfect replacement for the park and families.