TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

This was posted to SFGAdv's Facebook page about 45 minutes ago:

Tomorrow we are announcing our new attraction for 2014! LIKE this post no later than 7PM EST tonight for a chance to win a pair of tickets to Six Flags Great Adventure!

The main takeaway I see? "...our new attraction..." Singular. Maybe we won't see any of those rumored additional rides in Golden Kingdom after all, just the all-but-confirmed drop tower.

It’s official. Coming in 2014, Six Flags Great Adventure will introduce Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom, a brand new record-breaking drop ride feature breathtaking views, impressive heights, astonishing speeds, stomach-tightening drops, and an adrenaline rush like no other. It will be the tallest drop tower in the world, lifting riders up 415 feet in the air and rocketing back down at 90 miles per hour.

First, your eight-person gondola will blast to the top of the 415-foot structure in approximately 30 seconds. You’ll pause for a moment to check out the aerial view of the park and anticipate the rapid heart-racing plummet coming up next. Everything soon becomes a blur as gravity pulls your gondola downwards at 90 miles per hour, reaching ground level again in less than 10 seconds—before you even have time to scream.

The three soaring Zumanjaro towers will share their structure and be built on the face of the record-breaking Kingda Ka coaster. As you rise and fall along the vertical track, the Kingda Ka steel trains will be thundering around the track at 128 miles per hour at the same time.

Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom was inspired by the African theme of Safari Off Road Adventure, last summer’s new attraction that created the world’s largest theme park. While waiting to board Zumanjaro, guests will pass an all-new animal area, where they can watch native African Anubis baboon play and interact in their habitat.

To make room for the newest addition to Six Flags Great Adventure, we must bid farewell to a classic. Rolling Thunder, our classic wooden coaster, will close to the public on September 8 to help make way for construction of the new ride. New technological advances and preferences have created a new generation of thrill rides, and Rolling Thunder’s popularity has decreased over the years. Be sure to tackle this coaster’s 85-foot drop and 10 dipping hills before it slips into history.

The extreme Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom is set to debut in spring 2014. Are you ready to take on this all-new drop ride?

63104-SFGA-Zumanjaro-original.thumb.jpg.fcfdd783c3ec4c6ff5d70fe2468a80e1.jpg

90140024_SFGAZumanjaroPhoto1_8x10_300dpi.thumb.jpg.6495fc023ee8053468677107d44f579c.jpg

1658728336_SFGAZumanjaroPhoto2_8x10_300dpi.thumb.jpg.0a4d12ad1eb279ef09748e08ad2058c0.jpg

385532253_SFGAZumanjaroPhoto4_8x10_300dpi.thumb.jpg.0849f11b2ff33515488c6189a44dcf45.jpg

761285375_SFGAZumanjaroPhoto5_8x10_300dpi.thumb.jpg.1997dac6ab1fa7c4521a7586b4a3d20a.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

Welp, there goes SFMM's short lived record.

If it's really 415, then I believe it ties Lex Luthor.

Wouldn't be that bad of an idea on Six Flags part. How nice would it be able to market that you've got the world's tallest drop ride in two different parks?

Welp, there goes SFMM's short lived record.

If it's really 415, then I believe it ties Lex Luthor.

Wouldn't be that bad of an idea on Six Flags part. How nice would it be able to market that you've got the world's tallest drop ride in two different parks?

Lex Luthor is marketed as 400' tall.

Also, from this image, you can tell that Lex Luthor does not go up to the top of the 415' tower. So, if Zumanjaro is 415' tall, it will be the tallest drop tower in the world, even taller than Lex Luthor.

Also, Some Sad News:

To make room for the newest addition to Six Flags Great Adventure, we must bid farewell to a classic. Rolling Thunder, our classic wooden coaster, will close to the public on September 8 to help make way for construction of the new ride. New technological advances and preferences have created a new generation of thrill rides, and Rolling Thunder’s popularity has decreased over the years. Be sure to tackle this coaster’s 85-foot drop and 10 dipping hills before it slips into history.

At least you guys still have El Toro

Also, Some Sad News:

At least you guys still have El Toro

Thanks for posting that. I'm so glad I got my Rolling Thunder credit this year. I had a feeling its days were numbered.

Nice addition - the park needs a drop tower and they'd have been crazy not to use the Kingda Ka structure. Would love to ride it on a foggy day - an ascent up through the clouds without being able to see the ground below would be incredible! Might be a bit of trek out to the ride though, still at least you can watch Kingda Ka while waiting in the queue I guess.

Awesome to hear about Zumanjaro, after Lex at SFMM I knew it was only a matter of time before we had a drop ride added to our Intamin.

Although couldn't they have given us just a little bit more time to get to go ride Rolling Thunder one last time. I'm in VA for the long weekend and I leave for West Coast Bash on Wednesday...I guess i'll go tonight and skip the Allentown Fair

At least they gave us some warning at though...

Omg I will be so scared going up this thing! Great news for the park but while Rolling Thunder is aging, it still was a good wooden coaster for families plus it was two separate rides since layouts were different. Glad to see the park get a drop ride finally!

Gla I'm heading to the park next Saturday to get a final ride on Rolling Thunder!

All I can think of when I read the name is "Juuuumannngi!"

This. I'm going to start deliberately making fun of this ride's name like I do Shambananasandcreme.

It looks great! If there's no audio at the top and the cars just drop without warning, it's going to be properly terrifying.