TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Usually the employees aren't very reliable and neither are those signs in the queues. (

They are "permanent" signs and may not account for the number of trains running at that time. If I remember correctly the posted signs are worst case scenario so if all trains are running the wait times will be less.

Went on 8/21 as part of my brief NYC vacations. Rather than a full report, here are my thoughts (not in chronological order):

-BtR: First Batman, and jesus christ was it something. Didn't black out, but it was still astoundingly forceful and never let up for a moment.

-Nitro: Decidedly inferior to SFNE Bizarro, but still a strong ride in its own right.

-Green Lantern: Surprisingly good and quite forceful. Better than people give it credit for.

-Superman: Pretzel loop wrecked me. Everything else was okay.

-Kingda Ka (pahk my cah, khed): Launch floored me and the air was fairly decent. Rattle wasn't too bad due to my being tall enough to escape headbanging.

-Bizarro: Decent overall, surprisingly intense second half and a fairly odd zero-g roll.

-Runaway Mine Train: Reasonably fun, but goddamn rough.

-Skull Mountain: Serviceable time-killer.

-The Dark Knight: Meh.

-Rolling Thunder: OW. Should NOT have been stupid enough to ride it.

El Toro was down, which blew; other than that, the few flats that still exist were decent enough, and the tostadas (those aren't chalupas, khed) that I had at La Cocina were surprisingly tasty. Also, I saw three fights break out over the course of the day, all due to linecutters. Two were standard wannabe tough guy posturing fests, but one actually did turn physical after someone stuck their foot out and tripped the linecutter. The day was ended with a six-pack of Yuengling and a bunch of Robot Chicken, Squidbillies, and Aqua Teen at the hotel that I was staying at (sure, it was in East Orange, but it was dirt cheap and I've walked around in the hood enough to know how to not look like a scared white kid).

Edited by Blind Idiot God

Anyone know what might be coming in 2014. Also, is going there worth the long trip from Massachusetts?

I've never been there, but judging from what I have read, and pictures, it would definitely be worth the long trip, and I would be coming from Missouri!

If this is true, it sounds like the drop tower rumor may be true since it's probably designed to blend with Kingda Ka (I'm sure we all thought of this already, it's not like I just made an amazing discovery).

If that's what they're doing, then I wonder how we're going to get to it. I know the Rolling Thunder rumor has been popular lately but I don't see it, mainly because I don't see this ride being marketable if they move it anywhere and I don't see why they'd bother demolishing it because it's still mildly popular.

The same can really be said for Bizarro. Not only is it a really long walk from kingda Ka, but I see no point in removing this coaster (though I think it's more plausible than removing Rolling Thunder).

Maybe they can use part of the now-closed Golden Kingdom path or Safari Discoveries area?

The same can really be said for Bizarro. Not only is it a really long walk from kingda Ka, but I see no point in removing this coaster (though I think it's more plausible than removing Rolling Thunder).

Bizarro is not going anywhere. The park has confirmed this multiple times.

Bizarro is probably going to stay put, as it's still popular enough to justify keeping it where it is. Rolling Thunder was a walk-on, and it's an uninteresting, forceless, hideously rough waste of space that no one likes. Hell, it doesn't even have the "baby's first big-ish coaster" reason for existing, as there's still RMT.

If this is true, it sounds like the drop tower rumor may be true since it's probably designed to blend with Kingda Ka (I'm sure we all thought of this already, it's not like I just made an amazing discovery).

If that's what they're doing, then I wonder how we're going to get to it.

There is plenty of room between Kingda Ka and Rolling Thunder for a walking path.

Bizarro is probably going to stay put, as it's still popular enough to justify keeping it where it is. Rolling Thunder was a walk-on, and it's an uninteresting, forceless, hideously rough waste of space that no one likes. Hell, it doesn't even have the "baby's first big-ish coaster" reason for existing, as there's still RMT.

Hey now, speak for yourself only. I actually like Rolling Thunder. To each their own that is what I say. I like classic old white rough wooden coasters. I would rather them get rid of Green Lantern or Superman than Rolling Thunder. I think both are boring coasters. But that is my opinion and a lot of people do not agree with me.

If they do get the drop tower on the side of Kingda Ka I sure hope they are ready for all the issues with wind like in Magic Mountain. From my experience that goes down a lot due to high winds. I could be wrong so I apologize if I am.

Hey now, speak for yourself only. I actually like Rolling Thunder. To each their own that is what I say. I like classic old white rough wooden coasters. I would rather them get rid of Green Lantern or Superman than Rolling Thunder. I think both are boring coasters. But that is my opinion and a lot of people do not agree with me.

If they do get the drop tower on the side of Kingda Ka I sure hope they are ready for all the issues with wind like in Magic Mountain. From my experience that goes down a lot due to high winds. I could be wrong so I apologize if I am.

There's a difference between charmingly rough and "ow ow OW someone get me some Tylenol oh **** I think I broke something" rough. Rolling Thunder is decidedly in the latter. Made Wildcat look smooth.

I don't think this is going to be even close to a problem. Tall towers close in high winds because they sway too much - the standalone towers are the best example (any drop tower, any SkyScreamer or Windseeker), but S:EFK/LL:DOD is also a relatively thin tower that already sways ever time a Superman car hits the tower, not to mention the extra weight now of a Lex Luthor car sitting at the top - hence the closures when it's windy.

Ka's tower doesn't move even remotely close to how much a standalone tower or even the Superman tower. You'll be able to operate a drop tower on it with wind speeds well beyond what they'll allow for any of those other towers, I guarantee it. Heck, you could probably operate it in higher winds than you should Kingda Ka if you're trying to avoid any stalls or constant rollbacks.

There's a difference between charmingly rough and "ow ow OW someone get me some Tylenol oh **** I think I broke something" rough. Rolling Thunder is decidedly in the latter. Made Wildcat look smooth.

Something must have happened in the past two weeks because Rolling Thunder running well on August 10th. I only rode it because others on TPR said it was running better since re-opening. I was hoping to prove them wrong, but it was running well.

Those appear to be the same color as Kingda Ka's tower supports.... so either we are looking at the drop tower, or ANOTHER green roller coaster...

Honestly, its kind of sad that in one part we have two yellow coasters, and 2 green coasters, and they're both right next to each other.... fail.

Those appear to be the same color as Kingda Ka's tower supports.... so either we are looking at the drop tower, or ANOTHER green roller coaster...

Honestly, its kind of sad that in one part we have two yellow coasters, and 2 green coasters, and they're both right next to each other.... fail.

We are looking at a kingda ka drop tower. And nobody is confusing Green Lantern and Kingda Ka or Nitro and Batman.

I thought Rolling Thunder was running well on Monday, it didn't seem any different than the times I have ridden the coaster in the trips to the park in the past month. I actually think its running smoother than Thunderhawk at Dorney this year.

Couldn't agree with you more. Rolling Thunder was my first wooden coaster and will always be special to me. I ride it on just about every visit to the park. I never ride Superman or Green Lantern and think that they are just a waste of space.