TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Dark Knight intense for a wild mouse?

Interesting, I thought that ride WEAK for a wild mouse! We didn't get the "flung out" feeling on any of the turns...

Anyway welcome to my home park! It's kind of a dump with only a handful of rides open and only a few good coasters to be honest.

I always said they should just take Nitro, El Toro and KK move em elsewhere and level that whole place.

Anyway welcome to my home park! It's kind of a dump with only a handful of rides open and only a few good coasters to be honest.

I always said they should just take Nitro, El Toro and KK move em elsewhere and level that whole place.

SFGAdv has more than a "few" good coasters. Sure, not all of them are world class coasters like the ones you mentioned, but all of them are at least somewhat enjoyable. There are far worse coaster collections out there.

Edited by Coaster_Fanatic

If only, if only, if only... except I'd say Bizarro can come too. I'm pretty resentful that those four rides keep dragging me back to that awful place.

Oops, I forgot Batman the Ride. I do love that one, still one of the most forceful rides there are! That one can be moved also

I mean the coaster selection is solid but eh...that's at best. It's a shame, used to be a great park.

Irony, I still like Nitro more than the average enthusiast seems to. Fast, smooth, nice layout (love the helix) and I usually get strong/sustained floater on it.

It has had bad days, but generally that's a sweet ride. It just doesn't hold up as well with all the airtime monsters that have been built

Kingda Ka - This ride has a weird launch - it seems more and less intense at the same time. Also, the airtime hill does give some floater. The trim brakes atop the tower can be noticed in some seats. The descent from the tower can be bumpy in some seats. On another note, I could have sworn that we advanced onto the launch area before the next train cleared the tower. We then had to wait a while to launch.

You sure you weren't just in the "staging area" of the launch? That is how they use to run the ride during four train operation. They would send both trains out of the station, the first train would launch, then the second train would park itself on the launch waiting for the block to clear before launching.

SFGAdv has more than a "few" good coasters. Sure, not all of them are world class coasters like the ones you mentioned, but all of them are at least somewhat enjoyable. There are far worse coaster collections out there.

I can agree with that, but Skull Mountain was REALLY bad. If I had the choice to level any coaster on the planet, it would be Skull Mountain.

I can agree with that, but Skull Mountain was REALLY bad. If I had the choice to level any coaster on the planet, it would be Skull Mountain.

Hey now, I remember liking it a lot when I was 9. It's important having "in between" coasters like that. Sure it gives off a depressing sense of neglect like most of the park, but other than that what about it is SO bad? I think with a little sprucing up it could be a fine family coaster.

I have to defend Nitro here. Everyone has picked on Nitro this year but this is the first year it hasn't been running well so I don't like that people have the wrong idea about this ride that rode it for the first time like a poster a while back. Nitro is 1 of the few complete rides out there which is why I still consider it an elite coaster. I admit it's not running great this year but it's still a great coaster.

I am 1 of the few enthusiasts that's not a fan of Batman. It always hurts my legs or another body part and I feel it's too much about g's. I prefer Great Bear and Great Nor Easter over it.

Like GAdv or not, it may be the best park in the SF chain and has a great collection of coasters for a reasonable price if you look at the coasters you get for the season pass. For that, I'm still greatful it's my home park and I'd put it right up there with Cedar Point, Hersheypark, etc.

I feel terribly that people think so poorly of Great Adventure. I really love this park (in fact I'm going again on the 12th), and I think the coaster collection is pretty spot-on for creating an enjoyable day. My home park is Dorney, and SFGAdv's coasters surely pummel Dorney's straight into the ground. I've never really had a bad experience here, too bad that others seem to frequently have them. Oh well. I'll always enjoy this park! And that's all that matters for me

Like I said, it was a GREAT park but it slowly went down hill, and as for the coaster selection...it's just decent IMO

Great ones: Toro, KK, Nitro (though many dont really like that one)

Good: Bizarro, but its not great. Batman the Ride, but its not anything unique, at all. You could come here and skip it honestly.

Superman, always a huge wait and not a very good ride.

Rolling Thunder, kinda crap. OK at best.

Green Lantern. OK.

Runaway Train, well its a mine train. Its kinda fun actually but just a mine ride.

Skull Mountain, fun but well...family ride.

Dark Knight: Not bad, but just a wild mouse.

What really pissed me off is slowly all the non coaster rides have been removed (though only 1/3 were ever running on a given day) now it's just a few coasters, and a few rides. Overall it has a dirty feel, and other huge parks like Hershey and even CP don't feel nearly as dirty. There's little green at SFGAdv, everything is done half assed there. I really wish I could just pay per ride, so I can do the ones I want and leave. And it's sad because every year it got a bit worse...

And I know everyone laments how big parks don't have that same "feel" of a small park, and I get that but really...Cedar Point doesn't feel as corporate and bleh to me, even though it obviously is a massive park.

I have to defend Nitro here. Everyone has picked on Nitro this year but this is the first year it hasn't been running well so I don't like that people have the wrong idea about this ride that rode it for the first time like a poster a while back. Nitro is 1 of the few complete rides out there which is why I still consider it an elite coaster. I admit it's not running great this year but it's still a great coaster.

I am 1 of the few enthusiasts that's not a fan of Batman. It always hurts my legs or another body part and I feel it's too much about g's. I prefer Great Bear and Great Nor Easter over it.

Like GAdv or not, it may be the best park in the SF chain and has a great collection of coasters for a reasonable price if you look at the coasters you get for the season pass. For that, I'm still greatful it's my home park and I'd put it right up there with Cedar Point, Hersheypark, etc.

I havn't been yet this year. Nitro has been running poorly? That is upsetting, it was still my second favorite in the park. You are right, complete ride and was just so much fun.

Even last year, I went twice and one day it was great but another it was a let down. Threw it up to a bad day but perhaps it's trending this way now

I went to school in PA so I kinda made Hershey my adopted home park, I still go every year, and I try to get to CP every year so that's my vaca park, but you are right... I'm just being a bit spoiled, for many Great Adventure is probably better than what they have. Since I can go so easily I can better appreciate smaller but nice parks like Dorney even. I'll admit I'm spoiled but still most of my friends agree and prefer Hershey or CP (to those who have been to them)

SHORT VERSION: To quote what was just said in the SFMM thread. I get parks as businesses, I get it. But Great Adventure makes it painfully obvious...they half ass everything if they even bother, and it's in your face they're $$ over people. I'm sure Cedar Point and Hershey are the same but it doesn't feel nearly as bad!

Edited by JJLehto

Nitro is not that bad. As for Skull Mountain, I suppose Revenge of the Mummy has set my expectations way too high for indoor dark coasters.

Well I can't hate on it...it's a family ride LOL

A bit unfair to expect much of anything. I actually find it fun, but if the wait is more than 5 mins obviously I wont bother.

My ranting is over, its "better than nothing" it's easier to go 45 mins here than the 2.5 hours to Hershey, (or the 9 to CP) just the park really has gone to crap, and is saved by a few really sweet rides.

Dark Knight intense for a wild mouse?

Interesting, I thought that ride WEAK for a wild mouse! We didn't get the "flung out" feeling on any of the turns...

I was in the back, usually in the front on mice, but I figured that it doesn't really matter - both due to the small car and level surface of the turn. Maybe it was having never ridden a dark mouse before?

Kingda Ka - This ride has a weird launch - it seems more and less intense at the same time. Also, the airtime hill does give some floater. The trim brakes atop the tower can be noticed in some seats. The descent from the tower can be bumpy in some seats. On another note, I could have sworn that we advanced onto the launch area before the next train cleared the tower. We then had to wait a while to launch.

You sure you weren't just in the "staging area" of the launch? That is how they use to run the ride during four train operation. They would send both trains out of the station, the first train would launch, then the second train would park itself on the launch waiting for the block to clear before launching.

They were running 3 trains, and Dragster runs with that type of staging area" too. I'm not even sure if the block violation happened, but if I'm right, I remember that our stopping position was where we eventually engaged the catch-car.

I actually liked the park, and want to come back to give Nitro another chance and do El Toro some more! As for Nitro, I remember hearing ALL the trims. In the back, its bumpy at the bottom of the first drop, but thats not the huge deal. The floater hills seemed kinda weak compared to Diamondback. I was expecting this "old" B&M to be quite good and forceful, considering my friend's rabid love of Apollo's Chariot along with Diamondback. I ended up getting some good positive G's and weak, trim-ruined negatives.

I know what you mean about the launch. It's not very "intense" at all but I actually like that, because it just builds and builds.

Not the most forceful start but it just keeps accelerating!

Nitro always was about floater, but it used to be nice and sustained. I'll have to get there soon but sounds like this year it really has been running poorly. This saddens me, when you get a nice float over every hill, and some good pops in the finale, it was such a great ride.

Nitro always was about floater, but it used to be nice and sustained. I'll have to get there soon but sounds like this year it really has been running poorly. This saddens me, when you get a nice float over every hill, and some good pops in the finale, it was such a great ride.

When I rode Nitro last month, the airtime was still fantastic as usual, but the ride had felt a lot rougher compared to the last few years. Hopefully SFGAdv can fix the issue one way or another...

I know what you mean about the launch. It's not very "intense" at all but I actually like that, because it just builds and builds.

Sure, not very intense, but it was still AMAZING. It's pretty fast to begin with, but then once you pass the camera it gets even faster and it just keep coming and coming and coming...

I feel terribly that people think so poorly of Great Adventure. I really love this park (in fact I'm going again on the 12th), and I think the coaster collection is pretty spot-on for creating an enjoyable day. My home park is Dorney, and SFGAdv's coasters surely pummel Dorney's straight into the ground. I've never really had a bad experience here, too bad that others seem to frequently have them. Oh well. I'll always enjoy this park! And that's all that matters for me

When I went last year, I had to put my "blinders" on and ignore everything in the park as I walked straight from coaster to coaster (which is all I had time to do considering the lines). I had to do my best to ignore all the aggressive advertising and desolated theming areas just to have a good time. I'll be the first to admit their coaster selection is generally world-class, but that's not how I want to enjoy theme parks. I want to take in the atmosphere, enjoy the sights, not spend all day trying to ignore how the park feels even emptier and sadder than it did the year before.

I'm planning on going in September, maybe I'll make my first trip report trying to document the very particular brand of... how should I put this... disillusionment this park gives me. It's all the good memories I have of the place that really amplifies it. It's where I first fell in love with roller coasters, and that was before I could even ride them.

It's all the little things, you know? Like the crackling in the speakers the fake "drill sergeant" spiel plays through in the queue for the parachute drop. Probably just a bad wire somewhere. Just fix the d*mn thing! Give a crap!

I don't get all the hate on this park. Out of the 4 other six flags theme parks i have been to (Great America, Over Georgia, America, St.Louis) This on is the best one. Kingda Ka is great, Nirto is great, Bizarro is great, and El Toro is godly. I thought the park had a great atmosphere and great small kiddie attractions and big thrill rides, i would LOVE to have great adventure as my home park