TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Honestly, while I am hoping for a coaster for 2014 I think a drop tower would be perfect. It would be something different than the usual elimination of flat rides. In fact I think they might finally be making a comeback. Drop towers are always park staples.

I rode it today and is running the best it has in years, but is not AWESOME. You get little pops of air and no jack hammering

Hey, to each their own, but to me, for Rolling Thunder that's awesome. It is in no way "Skyrush awesome" or "El Toro awesome", but still really great compared to what the ride devolved into over the last few years. I've got so many great memories of this coaster from when I was a kid, I'm just glad it's in better shape so younger generations will hopefully love it too instead of just viewing it as termite food.

I was at the park for the first time in 3 years on Saturday and the Nitro (rode 3x) stacking of 3 trains is horrible. Most times they wouldn't even check the restraints for the loaded train until the 3rd train hit the brake run, ugh. Bizarro was the same way. El Toro (rode 4x) is still by far my favorite woody but I thought the operations were a little slow my first couple rides, unlike my past visits. I rode skyscreamer for the first time (once during the day and once at night) which was my first experience on a star flyer vs a wind seeker which I rode at CP, I enjoyed skyscreamer much more than wind seeker (bounces too much) although you can't beat that view on CP's. Rode GL for the first time (4th stand-up, RR, Mantis and SW @KD) got in a good ride in the 3rd row no head banging but it was still, meh. Rode KK once its amazing how much rougher imo it is than TTD but I still enjoy it and rode Superman, Batman, Congo, Log flume, Sky ride and Skull Mountain each once. Just missed parachute jump for the first time as the winds picked up as we were next in line. I rode the Safari around 6 and enjoyed it much more with the guide and the off roading opposed to the self-guided drive through although we didn't stop at Camp Adventura was closed for the day. All the animals were awake and visible even the Lions, also like Larry mentioned the guide on my tour said they were building a new habitat for the baboon's to be incorporated next year although she made it seem like in the Safari, I guess we'll see soon enough. We had a gold flash pass and started riding about noon and left at 9, the crowds were moderate-heavy with the biggest lines at the Safari and the two water rides based on the flash pass times. I still really enjoy this park and love going back a three year hiatus was long enough after going 7 years in a row.

So, I thought I would post my first trip report. It is from 2011, but nonetheless it was right when green lantern opened.1306435670396.jpg.ecf43d808a3d407926d31dccb1a62205.jpg

Here is my first gl photo

1312142472569.jpg.6c109002a587d05302fbb9f68918361b.jpg

It was about an hour wait with a breakdown, but It was my first standup

1312135339279.jpg.104c3ab77490c8c9259a0ee20e84b4a1.jpg

I hope this ride stays around for awhile longer

1315680787786.jpg.cfa14f244a42ac8cdb944231ebed8bc6.jpg

I have to say Bizzaro is boring to me it has nothing to offer

1315682224107.jpg.4ecf4482e0ec62bc6e4c4de146c4caba.jpg

Arrow Coasters are becoming rare...Sad its my favorite coaster company

1315682294985.jpg.4055ca74c68069241ceb3f88f7ea299c.jpg

Required shot

1315684953982.jpg.987310014a7990ae2121295856b3fc5e.jpg

All I can say is this ride was done right

1315685154009.jpg.afacb9629b150dcdb3172cae543b134a.jpg

Lift shot

1315685598113.jpg.bc1247af0a4b9d817e74f7f22001a184.jpg

Batman, still great after almost 20 years

1318110793400.jpg.57a3daa867e404782b4d15ae003003c3.jpg

And ill leave you with my favorite shot of the day another gl

That was a great day got on everything, but best of all was el toro during the fireworks. Hope you enjoyed my first photo trip report!

So it seems the triple stacking wasn't a one time thing after all.

Not when it is mentioned by various people visiting on different days.

also like Larry mentioned the guide on my tour said they were building a new habitat for the baboon's to be incorporated next year although she made it seem like in the Safari, I guess we'll see soon enough.

I'll beleive my tour guide since I think it is easier to incorporate it into the park by building an enclosed area humans could walk through versus building something a truck could drive through. I could be wrong but it sounds like this trouble.

I took my usual Sunday morning visit to the park today. Got there a little earlier to get ahead of the parking booth and metal detector fiasco. However, getting there early only made the parking booth situation worse. I stayed to the far left for Lane 1 which there is the line for Season Parking Passes. Not only was it closed but but Lanes 2 and 3 were closed so you had Lanes 1,2 and 3 trying to merge into Lane 4. What a clustertruck. This is 25 minutes before the park opens.

No issue with the metal detectors, I had mostly intelligent people ahead of me. However, the express line to season pass holders into the park early didn't open until 10:22, eight minutes before the park. I barely got ahead of the masses and barely made it on El Toro's first ride. Rode six times without leaving the train and 5 more walk-ons for 11 total rides. It was overcast and even drizzing in the AM, keeping crowds light.

Then I walked across the park and stopped for SkyScreamer, I really like Star Flyers. Good thing I rode because I could see from SkyScreamer that Nitro's station looked empty and did not see train's cycling. If was still drizzing, but I would think if lightning was in the area, SkyScreamer would have closed. It appeared other coasters were running. Not sure what was going on.

Rain started getting a little harder so I stopped to eat. Went to Granny's Fried Chicken for the first time in 15 years and tried their Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese. They chooped up two chicken strips and tossed them in buffalo sauce to top the Mac & Cheese. It was tasty and filling for only $8.99; I would get it again. Coca Cola had an air conditioned tent set up outside Granny's with free coke and some interactive videos games. The sign made it appear that it was there all summer, but I don't recall seeing it previously.

I rarely spend more than 3 hours at the park and the rain was still coming down so I left. But I consider 11 rides on El Toro a good Sunday morning.

Then I walked across the park and stopped for SkyScreamer, I really like Star Flyers. Good thing I rode because I could see from SkyScreamer that Nitro's station looked empty and did not see train's cycling. If was still drizzing, but I would think if lightning was in the area, SkyScreamer would have closed. It appeared other coasters were running. Not sure what was going on.

It was something mechanical, they had people walking the lift until it finally opened around 1:00 with 2 trains.

We had a great day at the park today despite all outdoor coasters closing around 6:30 due to lightning and never re-opening. Six Flags had every ride staffed and ready to re-open but the lightning never let up. We still got a ton of rides in including Kingda Ka which was down most of the day since it can't operate in the rain but opened for a few hours. Every other ride operated despite the rain until the lightning started.

One thing I found interesting was that when it was storming and every coaster was closed, Batman the Dark Knight and Skull Mountain were walk-ons. We got 2 rides in a row on Skull Mountain without getting off when it was one of only 2 coasters in the park that were operating... pathetic.

One thing I found interesting was that when it was storming and every coaster was closed, Batman the Dark Knight and Skull Mountain were walk-ons. We got 2 rides in a row on Skull Mountain without getting off when it was one of only 2 coasters in the park that were operating... pathetic.

People always seem to either leave the park or hide cause they might melt from a drop or two.

Hi everyone!

So I am planning a trip to SFGAdv in August. I am so excited, the last time I visted this park was probably 15 years ago. I will be at the park either Wed Aug 21st or Thurs Aug 22nd. I am planning on getting to the park shortly after it opens, which rides should I hit up first? I am hoping to avoid insanely long lines by going on a weekday. Also, what are some of the tastier food options in the park? Is there any food stand/restaurant that stands out from the others. Thanks for the advice!

Hi everyone!

So I am planning a trip to SFGAdv in August. I am so excited, the last time I visted this park was probably 15 years ago. I will be at the park either Wed Aug 21st or Thurs Aug 22nd. I am planning on getting to the park shortly after it opens, which rides should I hit up first? I am hoping to avoid insanely long lines by going on a weekday. Also, what are some of the tastier food options in the park? Is there any food stand/restaurant that stands out from the others. Thanks for the advice!

Hit up El Toro or Kingda Ka first, and Granny's is the best for food save Green Lantern for later in the day the line at around 5-6 are 20 minutes

Hi everyone!

I'll be there on August 22nd as well. For food and restaurants, there aren't any stand out ones in my opinion, but if you want to play it safe and have some good food, Johnny Rockets is the way to go. If you are able there before opening (I get there like 2 minutes before they open) go straight to El Toro. You will be able to get in at least 3 or 4 rides before a line starts to form. After that hit Kingda Ka. The rest is pretty much up to the lines. Nitro should hold a 30-45 minute line all day, but at night you can get a walk-on. Green Lantern and Superman are going to have a constant 2hr + wait, so wait until night to ride those because then they are only about 20 minutes each. The rest of the coasters will average between 5-30 minutes usually. Bizarro and the Dark Knight having the shortest and Batman usually having about 20 minutes.

On to the topic of 2014. I had a cool idea for a Nightwing themed coaster to go where The Chiller once was. Not saying any of it will happen, I just wanted to share my idea. Premier Launched coaster named Nightwing that starts where Chiller was, goes out over Nitro and back. Rename Movietown to Gotham City. There's two things to market now, new coaster and "new" area. You will open up the path around Nightwing to fit in more places to eat, giftshops, and maybe even a flat ride somewhere.

The old Batman show building would have to be removed, but that's it. I started to make my layout idea in NoLimits. The track isn't exactly to scale, but it's close.

NightwingGADV.thumb.PNG.1611ea1e50522bbf8311257fdc8b79ad.PNG

Launch - highspeed turn into - Norwegian Loop - Zero-G Roll - Giant Corkscrew - (To be added: Overbank, airtime hill under the cork, some quick turns, a few bunny hills, and then a turn into the brakes.)

If you aren't familiar with Nightwing, he is the original Robin who changes his ways and becomes a hero instead of a sidekick. http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11111/111111473/2947942-4304625018-night.png

NightwingTrain.jpg.06c4f36997a4c52d1d71c6cdaca43720.jpg

Updated the train concept to feature a better logo.

Track would be that light blue color, supports would be black.

(sorry for that long post, haha)

Edited by Parallax

^^ That looks like it would be awesome! That side of the park could definitely use some revitalization (especially Nitro's queue - but that's an entirely different rant). I'd love to see this built... so let's hope they have something equally as exciting up their sleeve. *crosses fingers and toes*

Any of you know about the day locke-er rentals?

Do they allow in-out access through the day or is it once a done like the $1 ones?

Whats the price for the day ones?

And is there any ride that doesnt have a storage area for the souvenir cups where you cant take it on the ride either?

All day pricing is I think $13 and are in Adventure Alley and The Boardwalk. They also have an option for the one time use ones for $8 that allows you to use them as much as you want from ride to ride. I think all coasters allow the cups to be stored in the station except The Dark Knight where the cup holders are right at the entrance to the queue.

All day pricing is I think $13 and are in Adventure Alley and The Boardwalk. They also have an option for the one time use fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo for $8 that allows you to use them as much as you want from ride to ride. I think all coasters allow the cups to be stored in the station except The Dark Knight where the cup holders are right at the entrance to the queue.

Wait im confused. $13 for one time use, $8 for all day in and out?

The $8 option means that you can move your items from location to location so that you can carry all of your articles once you are done riding. For instance, you store your items at El Toro, ride, pick up your items, then head to Nitro, store your items there, ride, then pick up your items. This option is only if you don't feel like carrying everything through the day.

The $13 option pretty much is a stationary locker and you have to go to one of the two locations whenever you need something.

If you don't have a lot to carry, and are just worried about loosing something while you are riding, you are better off going with the $8 option.

I had no clue about the concerts this weekend, so when I went to the park last night I was shocked. There were tons of people using drugs in the bathrooms, and I saw quite a few people smoking joints... One person was smoking weed while in line for Nitro. I'm not sure if security saw.

Operations were pathetic, the worst I have ever seen at Great Adventure. Rolling Thunder was stacking for at least five minutes after every single ride. Bizarro was double stacking constantly too. Even Nitro, which had 4 attendants checking, was double stacking. At Dark Knight, they almost always had to stop the cars from leaving the station because the attendants had not checked lap bars yet.

On a few good notes, Nitro had no trims on until the MCBR. The ride seemed to fly! I have never gotten so much airtime on that ride. Rolling Thunder was also running well too. The only really rough part was the hills after the turnaround.

Ride Count:

Dark Knight 1x

Rolling Thunder 1x

Bizarro 1x

Nitro 1x

Green Lantern 1x

Superman 1x (No wait... Rode right as park was closing.)

I was also shocked to see Kingda Ka have an almost full queue right before closing, when Superman and Green Lantern were dispatching partially empty trains.

Here is my little review of the coasters here-

Batman - Didn't Ride

Bizarro - I believe I found this a bit more forceful than Scream, with a great Zero-G roll and smooth cobra roll. Not to mention the theming.

Blackbeard - This kiddie/family coaster can be quite vicious in the back alone in terms of sliding back and forth.

Dark Knight - The fastest line on a Wild Mouse I've seen, along with what is likely the most intense ride on a Wild Mouse that I've had. But its still a Wild Mouse.

El Toro - El Freakin' Toro. Need I say more? With extreme airtime and tight twists, this ride is epic!

Green Lantern - With no trims, I was expecting a ride as forceful, if not more than Mantis. What I got was a drop that seemed less steep and a more drawn-out, less forceful first half. The second half was quite good, however.

Kingda Ka - This ride has a weird launch - it seems more and less intense at the same time. Also, the airtime hill does give some floater. The trim brakes atop the tower can be noticed in some seats. The descent from the tower can be bumpy in some seats. On another note, I could have sworn that we advanced onto the launch area before the next train cleared the tower. We then had to wait a while to launch.

Nitro - Let me get this out of the way - this ride is overrated. I did not enjoy its airtime at all. Its forceful helix was a bit different from the B&M hyper that I'm used to (Diamondback), but the bunny hops were not as good as expected. Sitting up front slightly enhances the bunny hills.

Road Runner Railway - Didn't ride

Rolling Thunder (Left) - I didn't feel much airtime near the back. The ride started smooth, but was bumpy near the end. A mediocre ride, if you ask me.

Runaway Mine Train - This ride has some weird restraints that I've never seen before. Anyways, the ride gets more and more intense as it goes on. It is also unusual as being the only true mine train that I've rode with a single lift hill (excluding Gemini.)

Skull Mountain - The ride's brief outdoor cave section before the main lift is unusual, as is the first tiny lift. While this ride had some exciting turns, it also had a shoddy building, in particular the huge hole near the brake run where they store random stuff, it appears.

Superman - Didn't ride.