TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Extremely crowded, not only is it the 1st day of Spring Break for some schools that don't get the whole week off but that days is also the day this year that the large Jewish group that used to have the buyout on Easter will be there.

Hmm i wonder if that means Easter would be dead than?

^ Wednesday should be better than Friday

^^ I went on Easter 2 years ago, crowds were low in the morning but in the afternoon picked up a little. Nothing was more than 20 minutes except Nitro looked to be around an hour in the afternoon since for some reason they went from 2 trains to 1 train.

SIX FLAGS GREAT ADVENTURE MEAL PLAN is now being offered this season. People have been asking me if it is worth it. Answer is, it is, for me. So let me outline who this plan is good for.

1) The plan costs $69.99. If you want to get your $$ worth, it is necessary to be a season ticket holder.

2) Each meal on the plan is about 10 bucks. The plan states that if you arrive before 3pm, you get a lunch and dinner voucher. You must use the lunch voucher between 12pm and 3pm. The dinner voucher must be used between 4pm and 7:30pm. So if you arrive before 3 and forget to get lunch by 3, you lose the lunch voucher.

3) Lets get down to the Math of all this. How can you get your $$ worth? Here's how. The plan costs $70 and most of the meals on the plan are 10 bucks. If you didn't have the plan and bought 7 meals, it would cost you 70 bucks. From that moment on, it would be a win for you.

4) Remember, if you get to GA before 3, you can have 2 meals. 7 total meals would only require you to make 4 trips to reach that mark. I'll reach that mark by the end of June! Will you reach it by mid-September? If you think you will, this meal plan is for you.

More Info: Drinks are not included with this plan, but you can buy the souvenir bottle for 9.99 ($5 off the original price).

If you want to spread the food around the family without getting a meal plan for each person, you can. The meals are not transferable but there is nothing stopping you from ordering a meal plan for two people in your family and sharing the meals. As long as the person that has the meal plan on their season pass, you can have them get the meal for you. We NEVER eat 2 meals in the park. When you are going on rides, do you want that much to eat anyway? We bought 2 meal plans even though we have 3 season passes. We plan on sharing the two for lunch and two for dinner. Not a bad deal. If anyone has any other questions, please let me know.

We went to the park yesterday and I have to say it's really nice to be back.

It was freezing cold, but we were dressed for it. I saw almost every coaster in the park experience significant downtime (Nitro, Batman, El Toro, Skull Mountain, Rolling Thunder, Kingda Ka and Blackbeard as well as big problems on the Skyride as it got stuck 3 or 4 times throughout the day followed by a closure of about an hour each time). That being said, it was opening day and it was unbelievably cold so all of this was excusable and every major coaster and almost every flat ride managed to open up at some point throughout the day.

When we got to the park at 11:30, most rides were still closed and the park was dead (it was dead all day). Every coaster was running below maximum capacity (except for Skull Mountain and maybe the boardwalk coasters since they suck and I rarely bother riding them). Nitro and Batman didn't even have their extra trains in the transfer areas yet but crowds were light so it wasn't a big deal. Operations were slow on every coaster (except for Kingda Ka) but this is normal for opening day, and on Nitro and El Toro the crews were having problems with restraints not being closed all the way, probably because of all the extra layers of clothing everyone had on. There isn't much of anything new with the exception of the pile of dirt near Northern Star arena but little touch ups were everywhere. New paint everywhere, New tower lighting on Sky Screamer (which look great), The "Bizarro Your Hero Now" sign returning, New Awnings on Houdini... not major stuff, but it's nice to see.

Just a few notes on the rides...

Bizarro: The biggest change was on Bizarro, as the audio has been removed completely. The speakers are gone and two more seats were added to the back row where the audio equipment box was. The ride was also running great, and we got 3 rides in a row without getting off because of the light crowds. We could have had more but we decided to go over to El Toro and marathon on that instead.

Nitro: This coaster must have been running slower than normal because of the weather but it didn't feel like it. Probably because of the cold temps, it blew right through the MCBR and the last few bunny hills were amazing. It looked underspeed when watching it from the station but the whole ride delivered airtime anyway and it wasn't noticeable when on the coaster. Later in the day, this ride was a station wait which you almost never see.

Kingda Ka: Kingda Ka was closed all morning but around mid afternoon they started to launch a few trains (most of which rolled back). We decided to walk over there, but it had been about 20 minutes since they had sent any trains and it felt like we were the only people in Golden Kingdom. One person in the group said something along the lines of "I don't know why we walked all the way back here, it's not open" and then immediately a train of screaming riders went up the hill and sailed over the top. We got 3 rides on it, it was a walk-on for the first two and about a 15 minute wait for the third but only because we waited for the front. The other rows were still walk-ons. It seemed like this ride closed for the day around 6 or 7 so it was only open for a few hours, but in that weather I didn't expect it to be open at all. The front seat ride was amazing, especially with it being so cold.

El Toro: This was the only ride in the park with a line since it was only running one train. Still, the longest we waited was 30 minutes. Later in the day, it was a walk on and we ended the night with 4 consecutive rides on El Toro without getting off. There's nothing I can say about this ride that hasn't been said. It was running way under-speed because of the weather and the Rolling Thunder drop was delivering floater air instead of it's usual OMFG ejector air. Still, that first drop and first run of hills was absolutely throwing people out of their seats. The fact that it was so cold made it seem faster than normal (even though it's really the other way around). We're so lucky to live so close to such an amazing coaster.

Other Rides

Big Wheel

Batman

Houdini

Skull Mountain

Overall we had a great day despite the cold and we're looking forward to another great season.

I'm leaving the park now, crowds were very light today as I expected. Nitro, Bizarro and Green Lantern were all running 2 trains. Kingda Ka was running 1 train, one train was being worked on, the other one was on the transfer track with restraints missing. It was still less than 15 minutes unless you wanted the front. When I was riding Runaway Mine Train I saw El Toro was testing with water dummies.

[attachment=0]562953_501831779854470_342922243_n.jpg[/attachment]

Here's a pic of the speakerless Bizarro trains.

Credit to acq10uaz on Great Adventure History

This looks so much more sleek than having those boxes sticking off to the side.

I'd love to see them throw some speakers on the lift just to give that bit of the audio back - I always found it fun to listen to, and it made the climb up the lift hill a lot more enjoyable! Granted, the speakers on Green Lantern's lift hardly ever play the oath anymore, so I guess not even that much audio can survive at a Six Flags park.

Surprisingly today they played the oath at Green Lantern. I miss the 2 seats in the last row more than losing the audio. It was really fun to sit in the last row in one of those seats and not have anyone next to you and it gave a more open feeling while riding.

Bizarro: The biggest change was on Bizarro, as the audio has been removed completely. The speakers are gone and two more seats were added to the back row where the audio equipment box was.

!

This is great news. Hopefully that's the end of that- at least in terms of existing rides being modified and coasters yet to be built. I doubt they'll go around uninstalling that stuff from every coaster that currently has it, but who knows?

Im actually gonna miss the audio at least on the lift and the end of the ride. I agree the coaster is too loud to hear the audio during the ride but I actually liked the story they played on the lift. A personal memory is that 1 of my friends use to sing the Bizarro chant at the end of the ride and I thought it was funny. I really thought it added to the ride experience.

Hey,

My girlfriend and I are staying in NY for two weeks and it would be awesome to visit Six Flags during the trip. Having read up a bit on the practicalities, a weekday seems the best choice if you want to avoid queueing (who doesn't). As it is spring-break currently, it probably wouldn't be too smart to go there before that ends either. With those criteria, the only dates we have free are the 4th, 5th and 8th of April (a Thursday/Friday/Monday). If I read http://www.njtransit.com/var/var_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=SixFlagsServiceTo correctly there are no buses going to six flags on those dates, which makes things a bit difficult. I was thinking there might be a car-owning New York coaster-fan or two out there who were looking forward to spend a crowd-less day (take a "sick" day and live a little) of amazingness at Six flags next week and want to save a bit on gasoline and make some new friends from Europe at the same time? If not, we'll just fight the crowd on the weekend when there are buses.

Cheers!

Hey,

My girlfriend and I are staying in NY for two weeks and it would be awesome to visit Six Flags during the trip. Having read up a bit on the practicalities, a weekday seems the best choice if you want to avoid queueing (who doesn't). As it is spring-break currently, it probably wouldn't be too smart to go there before that ends either. With those criteria, the only dates we have free are the 4th, 5th and 8th of April (a Thursday/Friday/Monday). If I read http://www.njtransit.com/var/var_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=SixFlagsServiceTo correctly there are no buses going to six flags on those dates, which makes things a bit difficult. I was thinking there might be a car-owning New York coaster-fan or two out there who were looking forward to spend a crowd-less day (take a "sick" day and live a little) of amazingness at Six flags next week and want to save a bit on gasoline and make some new friends from Europe at the same time? If not, we'll just fight the crowd on the weekend when there are buses.

Cheers!

The park is only open until April 1st and then they close again until May.

Im actually gonna miss the audio at least on the lift and the end of the ride. I agree the coaster is too loud to hear the audio during the ride but I actually liked the story they played on the lift. A personal memory is that 1 of my friends use to sing the Bizarro chant at the end of the ride and I thought it was funny. I really thought it added to the ride experience.

But if thats the case, blast it from the speakers going up the lift, and add speakers to the break runs!