TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Not sure if this was already posted, but on opening weekend Saturday, there's going to be a concert at SFGAdv.

MTV is partnering with United Way and mtvU to host “Spring Fix,” an alternative spring break, in areas affected by Hurricane Sandy. “Spring Fix,” will kick-off on Sunday, March 17 and culminate on Saturday, March 23 with a special concert at Six Flags Great Adventure headlined by Grammy Award-winning Motown Records artist Ne-Yo and featuring Sammy Adams and Timeflies. Special appearances by MTV stars Vinny Guadagnino from Jersey Shore and Andrew Jenks. The concert is free with general admission, and a portion of the proceeds from the day will be donated to the United Way.

More details about Spring Fix

But wait, why does some chick from California care about a concert in New Jersey??

Well... Because I am the winner of the Spring Fix Flyway Sweepstakes and Six Flags/United Way are paying for my boyfriend, Rolercstrluvr, and I to fly to Jersey, stay two nights, get into the park, food, flash passes, and more on this exact day!

We're totally stoked, and the lady from Six Flags that I've been working with to finalize the details thought it was really cool that a coaster enthusiast won the contest. I can't remember if TPR posted the link or Six Flags or both, but a month or so ago there was an "Enter to Win" form on Facebook that I filled out and actually won!

So who else might be going on this crazy, hectic day to SFGAdv?

Also, nerd moment: I'm exactly at 99 coasters, was going to preserve #100 for Gold Striker, but I've ridden everything at SFGAdv except Kingda Ka and Green Lantern, so that means Kingda Ka will end up being my #100! I've ridden El Toro before and it's my #1 coaster, but Rolercstrluvr is going to have his mind BLOWN because the best woodie he's ever ridden was Apocalypse...until next weekend!

Thought this was pretty interesting, since I've often heard that Great Adventure needs more flats.

It's crazy that they lost half of their flat rides in 8 years, I guess they didn't make the best choices in flat rides for their whole "war on lines" idea.

Graph from Great Adventure History.

Cool indeed but well known to any regualr SF:GA go-er.

In 2000 there was the "25 ride OMG expansion" and slowly all of which have been removed then the process continued and there's even less than before!

Which is why despite the coasters I haz such a sad at my home park. How I love spending 9 hours to ride 6 coasters

Also, nerd moment: I'm exactly at 99 coasters, was going to preserve #100 for Gold Striker, but I've ridden everything at SFGAdv except Kingda Ka and Green Lantern, so that means Kingda Ka will end up being my #100! I've ridden El Toro before and it's my #1 coaster, but Rolercstrluvr is going to have his mind BLOWN because the best woodie he's ever ridden was Apocalypse...until next weekend!

I wouldn't count on KK to be open, because they do not run it when its cold out due to the hydrolic fluid being to thick. They might open later in the day if its warm enough. Right now the long range forecast is saying partly sunny and 53degrees.

Looking forward to the first coasters of the year this Sunday and Monday! The weather is calling for temperatures to be in the lower 40s with 60% chance of rain... Does anyone know how cold it can be before they won't let the coasters run anymore?

Usually its in the low 40's. It depends on manufacturer's recommendations. I know I have been to Hershey for Springtime in the Park and once it got to below 45 degrees the coasters closed. I will be there Saturday - only a 10% chance of rain and currently reads 47 degrees as the high.

Looking forward to the first coasters of the year this Sunday and Monday! The weather is calling for temperatures to be in the lower 40s with 60% chance of rain... Does anyone know how cold it can be before they won't let the coasters run anymore?

Usually its in the low 40's. It depends on manufacturer's recommendations. I know I have been to Hershey for Springtime in the Park and once it got to below 45 degrees the coasters closed. I will be there Saturday - only a 10% chance of rain and currently reads 47 degrees as the high.

Great Adventure doesn't seem to have any interest whatsoever in manufacturers recommendations. I say this because on October 30th, 2011 on the day after a large snowstorm that gave us a rare "White Halloween", they opened all of the coasters (except for Kingda Ka which was closed for much of the 2011 season because of that cable snap). It was incredibly cold in NJ that day. Hershey never opened their coasters.

Source stating all coasters were open.

Weather that day

Great Adventure doesn't seem to have any interest whatsoever in manufacturers recommendations. I say this because on October 30th, 2011 on the day after a large snowstorm that gave us a rare "White Halloween", they opened all of the coasters (except for Kingda Ka which was closed for much of the 2011 season because of that cable snap). It was incredibly cold in NJ that day. Hershey never opened their coasters.

Weather that day

come to think of it...i think you're spot on. I HATE going to six flags NE because of the height restrictions on all their good rides. Bizarro, Goliath, Mindbender, all have a 6'4" height maximum...and I'm 6'7" lol. It really depends on the ride-op though because I've been able to ride Bizarro, hands up the whole time, and I've been completely fine.

GADV on the other hand, there are zero height restrictions that I know of...but there probably should be. For example on El Toro, if I raise my hands up high enough in the back seat of each car, I can hit the beams going under the structure. Also on Kingda Ka, the OTSH are really tight on my shoulders.

Weather that day

I was there that day from 5 to 10 pm. It started off in the low 40's when I got there but the last hour or so the park was open it got into the mid 30's (according to my phone). I was very surprised to see all the coasters open except Kingda Ka like you mentioned. I took off my glove to buckle the seatbelt on Green Lantern and just touching the cold metal for a couple of seconds was horrible. They even were running multiple trains on the coasters, and it was surprisingly crowded for how cold it was. A lot less than a typical Sunday during Fright Fest but the major coasters were still 30 - 40 minutes.

Opening weekend 2010 it was in the 30's on Saturday and 40's on Sunday. I went on Sunday and all coasters were open, even Kingda Ka. Sitting in the front row with it that cold was something different and it was freezing at the top of the top hat. They even had the log flume running both days that weekend.

Weather that day

Not that your'e wrong, but how do you know what the manufacturers recommendations are for the coasters? I've seen all sorts of coasters run in REALLY REALLY cold weather, and the rides worked just fine. It might be more up to the park to decide what they want and don't want to open. I've even been to Dollywood in freezing temps with all coasters open except Mystery Mine (Which they cited as being closed due to cold weather) and it was 30 degrees out.

Weather that day

Not that your'e wrong, but how do you know what the manufacturers recommendations are for the coasters? I've seen all sorts of coasters run in REALLY REALLY cold weather, and the rides worked just fine. It might be more up to the park to decide what they want and don't want to open. I've even been to Dollywood in freezing temps with all coasters open except Mystery Mine (Which they cited as being closed due to cold weather) and it was 30 degrees out.

I'm just speculating based on the information that Hershey posted (which I linked to in my first post). I assumed these recommendations came from the manufacturers but I'm far from an expert on the subject.

Anyone going on opening day? supposed to be like 47 degrees and rainy.

I will be there Saturday all day from opening till close. It will probably be crowded with the Neyo concert. But once he takes the stage the lines may die down a little.

Weather.com shows 0% chance of rain Saturday, 20% chance on Sunday. I'm going on Sunday since I usually go on Sunday of opening weekend and it has mostly been low crowds. After almost 5 months of no coasters it will be great to be riding Nitro again.

I couldn't take the offseason this year so at the end of February we went on vacation to California and went to Magic Mountain and Knotts while we were out there. Even though I'm not as deprived as I usually am this time of year I haven't been on El Toro since the last full day of the season and that's a problem... so we'll be there on Saturday. And we won't be going to the concert.

I couldn't take the offseason this year so at the end of February we went on vacation to California and went to Magic Mountain and Knotts while we were out there. Even though I'm not as deprived as I usually am this time of year I haven't been on El Toro since the last full day of the season and that's a problem... so we'll be there on Saturday. And we won't be going to the concert.

No concert??! If you've never heard of Timeflies...I suggest you look into them. They're awesome. If I was around, I'd totally hit up the park JUST for that concert lol

Extremely crowded, not only is it the 1st day of Spring Break for some schools that don't get the whole week off but that days is also the day this year that the large Jewish group that used to have the buyout on Easter will be there.