TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Since they're re-tracking it I don't see this happening. If they do remove it that's fine with me... it's a really pointless ride. But I'm very skeptical of this one.

Rattler just recently received topper track, and now SF is doing a complete overhaul on the ride.

"Spend money to improve a ride, few years later.....completely rebuild the ride and scrap all the materials that were just used to improve it"

Six Flags Logic at it's finest!

Rattler just recently received topper track, and now SF is doing a complete overhaul on the ride.

"Spend money to improve a ride, few years later.....completely rebuild the ride and scrap all the materials that were just used to improve it"

Six Flags Logic at it's finest!

Please explain your logic. Why do you think this was a bad move? Do you think it would have been better to not put Topper Track on Rattler at all and potentially have it SBNO for a while or potentialy have it viewed as rough and "unridebale" by the general public? In either case you would have either upset passholders who viewed a SBNO situation as losing a coaster or alienating the general public who would view a rebuilt coaster as the same old coaster.

In real life people who can not afford a new car pay to fix their old car and keep fixing it until they have the money to buy a new car. That's the same thing amusement parks do with coasters. Actually, that's pretty much how most of the world works.

Also, the rebuild of NGAT was the first of it's kind, you want to see how new technology holds up since there is no proven track record.

So, let's hear you logic.

To get back on topic, I wouldn't seeing Rolling Thunder getting the ax, either. It's just kind of boring, at best.

Agreed don't see it getting the ax. I hate the ride but the park needs rides for families and this I one of the few coasters at SFGAdv that doesn't intimidate families.

Not only that, but the only thing I could see happening would be for them to take it out to put in a GCI or something of that nature, but I find it hard to believe that they would do that AFTER putting in El Toro... I wouldn't mind seeing RT get completely retracked by Rock Mountain. Not a redesign though, just a retracking.

Though the concept of removing the ride to have access to the back section of Kingda Ka would be nice. Since we are reorganizing the Safari Park, the car entrance is no longer needed, which means we could open all that land behind the tower to expansion...

I don't think Rolling Thunder is horrible, but I also don't think its worth more than about a two train wait. When they are actually racing the trains, it can be fun, but otherwise it's the worst big coaster at the park and I definitely wouldn't care if it was removed. Out of all the coasters in the park, it seems like the most likely candidate for removal as well (if the park is indeed removing a coaster in the near future, that is).

To get back on topic, I wouldn't seeing Rolling Thunder getting the ax, either. It's just kind of boring, at best.

Agreed don't see it getting the ax. I hate the ride but the park needs rides for families and this I one of the few coasters at SFGAdv that doesn't intimidate families.

Losing Rolling Thunder would leave them with just the mine train and Skull Mountain for "family" coasters, so that makes sense.

Losing Rolling Thunder would leave them with just the mine train and Skull Mountain for "family" coasters, so that makes sense.

Don't forget the Dark Knight (I hate that waste of space ride).

• 4 weeks later...
Ironic, we're on page 456 and that's the height of Kingda Ka

Nope. Not actually irony. The only feasible way that it could be considered ironic is if on this page there was an announcement of a new ride that was even taller than KK. And that's really stretching it.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey everyone!

I work as a mechanic for great adventure. Right now, we are in the process of completely retracking Rolling Thunder. The updated ride will be much smoother. We purchased 4 new PTC trains. Each has 2 lapbars per row (sorry) but no seatbelts. The skids will now be magnetic brakes.

Sounds good right?

Totally missed this, but not like it's badly out of date or anything. Sounds acceptable to me. Admittedly, I am the type to mourn the loss of buzz bars, even on rides that don't offer the right kind of airtime to enjoy them to the fullest. But I remember Rolling Thunder in 2011 as an airtime-free ride. Though incidentally, 2012 on a rainy day was a different story, as it surprised me by being just a bit of an airtime machine (and nowhere near the back row, at that).

• 2 weeks later...
Hey everyone!

I work as a mechanic for great adventure. Right now, we are in the process of completely retracking Rolling Thunder. The updated ride will be much smoother. We purchased 4 new PTC trains. Each has 2 lapbars per row (sorry) but no seatbelts. The skids will now be magnetic brakes.

Sounds good right?

Totally missed this, but not like it's badly out of date or anything. Sounds acceptable to me. Admittedly, I am the type to mourn the loss of buzz bars, even on rides that don't offer the right kind of airtime to enjoy them to the fullest. But I remember Rolling Thunder in 2011 as an airtime-free ride. Though incidentally, 2012 on a rainy day was a different story, as it surprised me by being just a bit of an airtime machine (and nowhere near the back row, at that).

That is good to hear. Last season I waited a 1/2 hr to ride it (the group I was with wanted to ride it) and it looked and rode kind of horrible. Hopefully the new trains will not make me feel like i'm in the middle of an extremely tight seat divider sandwich and the seatbelts speed up loading. During the last visit, they were averaging 3 minutes and 20 seconds to dispatch each train with a lot of standing around and talking occuring.

By the way, I am starting to think about a good date to visit this park on. I want to visit on a date where most of the coasters are usually a walk-on, but the day would be after Memorial Day. I've heard some stories about going on a day when school is in session can guarentee this. Is this true?

Hey everyone!

Sounds good right?

While Rolling Thunder is kind of a crappy coaster, I rode it a few times last year because the lack of a line and the desire to find a seat where the ride didn't suck kept drawing me in. I never found the ride uncomfortable, but it just doesn't do ANYTHING. There's no airtime, no exciting laterals and a really boring layout. The closest thing I got to airtime was actually in the front seat when the train entered the turnaround. There's no airtime to speak of in the back or middle of the train (at least not from my experiences). I think Rolling Thunder is a good family coaster and a good way for people to work their way up to El Toro if they're scared to ride big coasters but that's really all I can say for it.

Has any information been released on the zipline that's supposed to accompany the new safari ride?

I was thinking the same thing. Six Flags Inc. website has a video of the CEO talking about every new attraction/show for 2013 and he mentioned this. I would LOVE to do this!!