TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I couldn't agree about movietown, that whole entire section is a ghost town. Its a ideal location for a new coaster, drop tower and some flats. Preferably flats.

It even makes me wonder why they've left it dead like that for so long. It's been what, like 5 years that that section of the park has been quarantined off from the rest of everything? Either they have something major in the works for that area, or they just don't have the capital to reignite the flame for movie town/old country.

Why leave such a high trafficked area blocked off? It hurts the flow of traffic, and is a complete eye-sore. It's not even like that area is in a back corner of the park. If it was opened again it would see a lot people.

I think it's safe to say that everyone agrees this section is Way overdue for a makeover. Its sad to know the old musik express ride was stripped of its cars and the buildings Are rotting away, good old Shapiro era. Over on gadv.com there saying a flat package might come with entertainment along the safari and a new slide for the waterpark. I really hope all is true that alone would dramatically improve the park.

But the park just got a new water slide, flat ride package, and a new coaster last year. I'd wait at least one more year before considering another flat ride package. I can see SF investing some more money in the water park though. Especially after other SF parks received multiple water slide expansions.

I think a baller water park would be a great way to get GADV more publicity. I know the theme park has a bunch of space to expand...but I'm not sure about the water park. Is the space limited by the theme park or the safari? I don't know. Also the fact that it's separate admission means that GADV should at least make it worth the money.

Is Holiday World's water park separate admission from the theme park? They have two kick ass water coasters there....GADV should invest in one, and a sweet unique slide complex.

Is Holiday World's water park separate admission from the theme park? They have two kick A$$ water coasters there....GADV should invest in one, and a sweet unique slide complex.

Holiday Worlds water park is included with admission to the park.

SFGADv just posted this to their Facebook page

Go Big? In 2013 we’re going big, bigger, biggest! Stay tuned for our three BIG pieces of news to be announced on Thursday!

3 big pieces of NEWS!!! BIG, BIGGER, BIGGEST hmmm what are you guys thoughts on this? Maybe that rumored Lex Luther beating drop ride?, gasp what about SF first Giga coaster? maybe something for the Safari, HH, and a ride/coaster for the park?

Hurry up Aug. 30th!!!

3 big pieces of NEWS!!! BIG, BIGGER, BIGGEST hmmm what are you guys thoughts on this?

My thoughts

Big - Dippin Dots Cart

Bigger - Dippin Dots Stand

Biggest - Dippin Dots Store

I'm all in for this one. Seriously though, I really doubt that it is a coaster. We would have already seen some site prep, especially for a giga.

3 big pieces of NEWS!!! BIG, BIGGER, BIGGEST hmmm what are you guys thoughts on this?

My thoughts

Big - Dippin Dots Cart

Biggest might have something to do with the safari because that's a fairly large chunk of land they would be dealing with

Bigger/Big - opening back up the movie town/old country section with a roller coaster and a few flats

all of that would be ideal...but it's doubtful that it would all happen in one season

My thoughts

Big - Dippin Dots Cart

No, that's absurd. Maybe the first two, but even that would be a bit much for the same year. Realistically it can only be either 1 & 2, or just 3 by itself.

And a hotel.

I think we know what two of the three might be (hotel and safari renovation), but the question is what the third will be. I'm saying a new flat ride. While a coaster would be good, I don't think they're ready for another one just yet.

Here's a quick report from my visit today -

I had one last free admission ticket remaining for the 2012 season and, since I'm moving to Louisiana on the 7th for 5 months, I figured now would be the best (and only) time to use it. Lucky for me the weather this morning was crap and it scared a lot of people away.

I got to the park at 10:15 to find a virtually empty parking lot. I went inside and, once the ropes dropped, headed for Green Lantern because Kingda Ka wasn't ready for the park's opening (surprise...?). I was one of the first people into the queue for Green Lantern and nobody in front of me opted for the front row. Sweet! First ride out for the day and I scored the front row. Yeeha!

The ride ran alright. I got a few headbangs here and there, but it seemed to be running slower than I remember from a month ago. It was still fun. When we got back to the station I jumped in the back row and had a glass-smooth ride! That really surprised me since a month ago, the back row tried to remove my head.

Superman was Superman. Slow and boring, nothing to see here. Moving right along.

Kingda Ka opened while I was on the Parachute Drop (BEST RIDE IN THE PARK!) so I headed over there. I walked into the second-row queue and a nice guy in line for the front was also a single and told me I could ride with him if I waited one train, so I did. Unfortunately we didn't roll back (one of these days, baby!) but the ride ran well. The first car always rides smooth, it's the rest of the train you need to look out for.

El Toro was up next and, due to the place being a ghost town, I got to ride upwards of 10 times in a row without leaving the station. 5 times in a row without needing to get up. All times in the last car. You could say it was a hell of a morning! For those of you wondering, yes, my legs do have bruises right now from the airtime. This thing was riding even more insane than last time. The only problem I noticed was getting blasted with wood shavings or something for the first drop and first two hills. I don't know if the ride is tearing itself apart or what, but it was really detrimental to the enjoyment of the opening section of the ride. It wasn't a one time thing. Every single time I rode I would get hit with what felt like sand for the beginning of the ride. I had to shield my eyes. Does anyone know what's going on?

Bizzaro still has the world's absolute worst ride crew. I kid you not, the ride was a walk on, yet it still took me 20 minutes to get from walking into the station to walking out of the station. The crew BLOWS! There is no reason that, when running three trains, you should wait for the last train to hit the final brakes before checking the restraints of the train in the station. When the ride was finished we just sat on the final brakes in the blazing sun going nowhere, listening to that god forsaken Bizzaro chant on loop for what felt like an eternity.

Batman was running super-forceful (extreme tunnel-vision), Nitro was doing its thing, and Dark Knight is still a wild mouse with broken effects.

Now is where the day took a turn. The entire morning was great, rides were running well, crews were excellent (except Bizzaro), all that jazz. Then I went to Sky Screamer. After buckling in, an angry ride op comes up and demands I get out of the seat and move to the one behind me. No please, no excuse me, just a very stern "You need to get out of that seat and move to that one." I indicated that I was already locked in. She lets out a very loud "UGH!" as she walks around to unlock the seat belt. I then go sit with my new friend in the seat behind my original (had to move so a twosome could sit together) only to find he put the seatbelt in the wrong buckle. After Ms. PMS sees this, she calls for a different ride op to deal with it because "she's had it with us." I almost punched a teenage girl today. I couldn't even enjoy the ride.

I made my way back over to El Toro. While walking through the line, I was going through the switchbacks and watched in disbelief as 10 preteen kids hopped the rails and deliberately cut me in line WITH A LINE MONITOR STANDING 2 FEET AWAY! The line monitor didn't do anything. She watched it happen, then went right back to staring at her phone. I mean, come on! You have ONE JOB. That is to make sure little idiot kids don't hop over the rails or deliberately cut the line. Apparently that is way too difficult for her. I confronted her about it and she just shrugged her shoulders. I rode El Toro one last time and just left the park before I blew up at someone.

I've had a strong dislike for Six Flags for a while now, and I must admit that after my last visit to Great Adventure and the morning today, I was starting to think they might actually be getting a clue at this park. But then I get two insanely out of line employees in a row. Screw you, Six Flags. Burn in hell. Just leave El Toro behind for us.

The only problem I noticed was getting blasted with wood shavings or something for the first drop and first two hills. I don't know if the ride is tearing itself apart or what, but it was really detrimental to the enjoyment of the opening section of the ride. It wasn't a one time thing. Every single time I rode I would get hit with what felt like sand for the beginning of the ride. I had to shield my eyes. Does anyone know what's going on?

I've been wondering this myself. It's quite the mystery, especially considering that it doesn't happen every time. Also it sucks about the awful employees. Luckily I haven't had any problems at the park (knock on wood).

I've been wondering this myself. It's quite the mystery, especially considering that it doesn't happen every time. Also it sucks about the awful employees. Luckily I haven't had any problems at the park (knock on wood).

It happened every time I rode today. Granted, some rides it was more noticeable than others, but it always happened. Very odd indeed.

When it come to the employees, I take comfort in the fact that they're all going to keep on being miserable human beings back in high school in one week. Deal with THAT, horrible employees!