TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I live in Boston and drive to NYC all the time. On a Saturday, especially in the morning you shouldn't have any trouble going over the GWB over the NJTPK, then down to exit 7A. Of course, if the President is in town or there is some huge race/parade, avoiding the GWB is best, but I'm not aware of anything that should cause a problem. Taking the Tappan is a decent alternative, but it's going to add at least 30 minutes to your travel time.

The drop towers could definitely go on the back side. The support structure for Ka is a triangular shape, so if placed on the backside, they would face away from each other, and possibly need some sort of extra engineering for minimal support near the top of the towers. If Intamin can do it with their impulses, i'm sure they could minimally support a drop tower.

No, it could not.

Watch this picture, and you will quickly understand why.

A drop tower would defiantly be on the front.

The park president has said that he doesn't want to remove any more flats, so it should be safe until it starts having major problems. It has been running well recently.

I'm taking a trip out to SFGAdv on August 18th, which is a Saturday and will more than likely be MORE than packed.

That being said, I'm coming from Ohio to go to a concert on the 17th, and have a day free th 18th so its only that day I can go.

Opinions on getting a Flash Pass that day?

Also, if anyone would like to do a mini meet up that would be pretty neat!!!

I can get discount tickets through work as well, for 40$ a ticket.

Lets rock this!

P.S. I know Cedar Point does this, and I was wondering if SFGAdv does it to.

All day refill drinks for an extra cost. It's like the cost of a souvineer cup + 5$ for all day at CP.

If I were you, I would buy a gold flash pass. Fork out the extra cash for gold, because the waits for a lot of coasters there can surpass an hour and a half.

If I were you, I would buy a gold flash pass. Fork out the extra cash for gold, because the waits for a lot of coasters there can surpass an hour and a half.

This is very good tip. We drove down for Boston on Saturday August 4th and we got to the park around 3:00pm. The entire park was packed and it didn't help that there was a concert that day. For example we were in the park from 3:00PM to 9:00PM and we only managed to do four coasters: Kingda Ka, El Toro, Bizzarro and Nitro. I spoke to a few park regulars during my visit at the park on Saturday. They basically told me that lines for rides were heavy even towards 10:00PM.

We forked out the extra cash gold flash pass for Sunday and it made our day at the park much more enjoyable. Sure the lines were about 30 minutes for most of the day, but with the gold pass we didn't have to wait at all. It was basically select a ride and go. We didn't have to wait for a single ride the entire day.

Coasters:

All the rides lived up to the hype. I won't say too much about that since they, were coved extensively on this thread.

My favorite ride: El Toro. I think it might be my favorite roller coaster of all time. It was everything I hoped for and more. It also makes this really cool noise when it's over the first and second hill.

Wife's favorite ride: Nitro. She loved everything about the roller coaster.

Least favorite ride: Rolling thunder just was just plain terrible.

Wife's least favorite ride: Green lantern. It was headache inducing roller coaster.

Biggest surprise: The last seat on the runaway mine train. The thing has pretty rough ejector air time.

Things I learned:

Avoid the park at all cost on Saturdays.

Gold Flash pass or go home.

Maybe book in the future book the hotel a little closer the time you want to travel. The weather worked out to our advantage, but it wasn't fun watching the weather channel all weekend and praying that the rain would stay away.

There was infestation of line cutters at the park on Saturday, more reason to get the flash pass.

Travel

On the drive down to NJ from Boston I ended up taking some of the tips offered on this thread. We took 90 to 91 to 15 to 287 to Jersey Parkway to 95. It took about six hours since we hit traffic towards end of the Jersey Parkway. I would suggest avoiding JPW on Saturday afternoons. Travel tip: hit the Tappen Zee bridge before 11AM on a Saturday. The traffic was heavy but it was getting really bad behind us.

On the drive home we did everything in reverse. We left the NJ around 9:00am to avoid rush hour traffic and the morning thunderstorms. We got the Tappen Zee Bridge with moderate traffic around 10AM. It took five and half hours on the way home because of a random traffic jam on the mass pike. The signs on the highway mentioned a traffic accident but we didn't see anything.

Lodging

We tried the Hampton inn in east Windsor I would recommend to anyone.

Last words

I was more afraid of star screamer then kingda ka, since I don't' like vertical rides. I'm glad I went on it thought, it was a lot of fun! Thanks for all the help I got on this thread guys!

Going to the park on August 15th, or 16th. If I actually get the guts to go on Kingda Ka, what row should I go on and what would the lines be like on that particular row? (Sorry, I'm a pain )

Ride it in the front!! I was terrified the first time I rode and I made myself ride in the front. One of the best coaster experiences I ever had. it is now my favorite steel coaster!

Yeah, it's honestly worth the extra wait to ride in the front. Not only does it rattle the least, but you can really feel how fast you're going (my ears pop sometimes at the end of the launch), and the view from the front powerhousing it over that 'airtime' hill makes up for the lack of airtime it actually offers.

I bought a 10 person tent today off craigslist and was thinking about making a road trip to Great Adventure. Anybody recommend a close by campground. It doesn't have to be fancy, electric preferred.

Yes, you can use the Timberland Campground, which actually has a trail that leads behind the lake where Nitros hammerhead is. I dont know a lot about the campground. Ill try and PM you the phone number because I live so close!

Apparently what's new for 2013 will be announced August 30th. Everyone's guessing it's safari related as facebook message shows a picture of a chest and says "Where one door closes, another opens" or something like that.

What makes people think that clue is a safari reference. That clue makes me think dark ride.

Apparently what's new for 2013 will be announced August 30th. Everyone's guessing it's safari related as facebook message shows a picture of a chest and says "Where one door closes, another opens" or something like that.

What makes people think that clue is a safari reference. That clue makes me think dark ride.

I forgot if it was the GM or President, but according to a Great Adventure fan site moderator, he talked to one of those people who said they were changing the Safari from a car drive version, to a tour guide version, sort of like the one at Animal Kingdom, but I don't think it'll be as themed.

I dont think it will be themed at all... I think this is a way to get more people to go since people are concerned about their cars... I think the pictures of monkeys on your car from the 90s doesn't exactly send a welcoming idea in the minds of todays BMW and Audi East Coast Drivers (me being one of them). It might also be an insurance move...