TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

OK, staying on the topic of SFGAdv, here is my take on the park from my visit this morning.

I was at the park for the 10:30 rope drop. Security announced the Frontier area (Medusa, Runaway Train) would not open til 11AM. I'm the third person to arrive at El Toro but they are still testing with water dummies and there is a sign out front stating El Toro is currently closed. I stick around because I see them unloading the water dummies, but most people don't wait. Once in the station it takes about 10 minutes for enough people to show up and fill the first 3 cars. because of the cold weather they won't release the coaster until the first three cars are filled. I got in about 7 rides either staying on the same train or exiting the station and walking right back on.

Once El Toro stopped being a walk-on I proceded to the Season Pass Processing Center, which was about a 25 minute wait. Green Lantern had a very long line out to the entrance, but I don't think all the switchbacks were open. I heard people in the Season Pass Processing line saying S:UF had a long line (I'm not sure how long it was).

After getting my pass I headed to check out the new rides construction progress. I had pictures but dropped by camera upon leaving the park and broke it.

Then over to Nitro. The line was to the bottom of the stairs but once in the station every row except Row 1 was only a two train wait. Nitro was only running two trains. From the brake run you could see the third train in pieces behind the maintenance shed.

Got a quick ride on B:TR in the last row as it was a walk-on.

The park is moving their metal detectors to an area between the parking lot and the ticket booths. New metal detectors are currently set up there but not operating. So for the time being you still pass through the metal detectors after yout ticket/pass is scanned.

The park appeared to have about twice the crowds as last year's Easter Sunday. As opposed to previous Easter Sundays when the park was only open to a Private Group along with Season Pass holders, this year the park was open to everyone.

What kind of shirt were you wearing? I was there on Sunday as well, and I saw a two older guys riding and re-riding El Toro in the early opening of the park. Did I happen to see you?

Those two older guys rode in the first row on the first train out, I was in the second row. One was complaining that he hates the restraints on El Toro, he could have stood to lose a few pounds.

I was wearing a TPR zippered hoodie.

And my camera came back to life today so here are a few pictures I took.

PICT0136.JPG.e9cc41002a62e78165d88a54dc49acbc.JPG

As I mentioned they are moving the metal detectors away from the area where tickets are scanned to relieve congestion.

PICT0101.thumb.JPG.89c0b8a9c588157d9162cead5ea448ca.JPG

I headed straight to El Toro and encountered this.

PICT0103.JPG.02382492a67b2b66722f643c24eacd11.JPG

But since I saw them unloading the water dummies I stuck around.

PICT0099.JPG.2da172b9539b2f9d223d45c306f32b82.JPG

The Johnny Rocket's Express between El Toro and Rolling Thunder is no more.

PICT0109.JPG.73f9cb09dc8f6e40a96e3e808b569cef.JPG

I rode a few rows behind this guy on one ride.

PICT0110.JPG.5d14ed807a766c02209fbd10b8ac4253.JPG

He was very proud of the illegal POV he took on El Toro.

PICT0112.thumb.JPG.5f1dc3953499998a3bfda5f9de22dc9c.JPG

Security didn't care because they didn't see it happen.

PICT0108.JPG.0ea36effe983369a25afeb3ae538791a.JPG

Plug and Play up close.

PICT0105.JPG.2eaa65917cee3491401833459b84d62c.JPG

Dumbest shirt ever!

PICT0114.JPG.fbc068241691347972bdedc729487471.JPG

They now have VIP Safari tours where you can feed the giraffes and other fun stuff.

PICT0117.JPG.a53e7c0d4935010461cb4cab4e03b38e.JPG

Quite a line for season pass processing. How many coasters are in the picture?

PICT0115.JPG.dcde234fd93b82ba3fb216a978530e4c.JPG

New Angry Birds game in the Boardwalk area.

PICT0116.JPG.faa17448fb6f8a06ed5361d3aff14479.JPG

Angry Birds weapon

PICT0126.thumb.JPG.5f2debedb3898f80c49b85f44db2463c.JPG

Star Flyer

PICT0121.JPG.f09ec155bf8230eb4c150e3a76cb8e44.JPG

Not quite ready. I think it will be open for Season Pass holders only from May 17th - 20th.

PICT0130.JPG.796fa45682c4df0a89790354902763ea.JPG

Flying Jumbo site

PICT0127.JPG.7d23b9293b83c4d13a7fdc5014f25005.JPG

Deja Vu (Scrambler) site next to the Studio 24 Arcade. Fender Benders will be adjacent to the Sky Ride station.

Edited by larrygator

I bought my season pass and headed over to the park for the first time of the season yesterday. The park was pretty filled due to many highschool spring breaks. I was still able get rides on Nitro twice in the front, Bizzaro front of the train, Batman front of the train, Skull Mountain and Green Lantern. Green Lantern had diffculties as our train entered the station, which caused us to be stuck on the break run for about 20 min. I have to say, Nitros trims were barely on yesterday, trains were flying over those hills, amazing experience.

Planning a trip to Great Adventure on Saturday. Any suggestions as to what to ride and when? I really don't care about riding Kingda Ka at all, because I'm not a big fan of launched coasters and I really don't care about keeping a "coaster count".

I'd say El Toro first, but it could also be testing till about 11 as it has been most of the week. If you want to ride Superman and Green Lantern, you could hit those up first as those queues tend to fill up really fast, then make your way to El Toro and Rolling Thunder.

By then the area that Bizarro is in should be open and you can hit up Bizarro and the mine train, and start working your way around to the other side of the park where Blackbeard, skull mountain are. Which then you can pretty much do whatever on that side of the park.

Today was much better than my trip to the park on opening day. It did get crowded in the afternoon but I was able to get 15 rides in a little under 5 hours. Skull Mountain's crew was amazing, running to check lapbars and they were dispatching full trains faster than I have ever seen before. Kingda Ka is still having issues though, it was closed in the morning and didn't open until later in the day.

I made a pit stop there this afternoon, and they have the new metal detectors up and running. And I'm pretty sure the El Toro crew were in cahoots with the crew from Superman on Saturday.

Then at Nathans, I had the worker who barely spoke and understood English. I didn't know Hot Dog was that hard to understand.

I was paintballing at Top Gun yesterday, and from most of the fields you can clearly see the park. One thing I noticed was that they didn't seem to be running the coasters around 11:45, anybody else notice that?

I hope you were smart enough to only be distracted by the coasters when your game wasn't active.

I was paintballing at Top Gun yesterday, and from most of the fields you can clearly see the park. One thing I noticed was that they didn't seem to be running the coasters around 11:45, anybody else notice that?

All of the coasters were running when the park opened except for Kingda Ka. Kingda Ka started testing around 11:30 or so.

Has anyone else noticed this shirt in the gift shop?

I made a pit stop there this afternoon, and they have the new metal detectors up and running. And I'm pretty sure the El Toro crew were in cahoots with the crew from Superman on Saturday.

Then at Nathans, I had the worker who barely spoke and understood English. I didn't know Hot Dog was that hard to understand.

Bummer on the El Toro crew Nicole. Hope you still got enough ride time in.

All of the coasters were running when the park opened except for Kingda Ka. Kingda Ka started testing around 11:30 or so.

Has anyone else noticed this shirt in the gift shop?

Why is that many parks have Incredible Hulk silhoulletes. In CGA, you can see a red Incredible Hulk silhoullette, I remember finding it next to the restrooms near Barney Oldfield.

My guess would be that there are ton of shots of Incredible Hulk on the subscription image services (which are sort of like the Associated Press but just for stock photos/video) and it's an easy image to get and looks like a generic roller coaster. Those are the kind of services graphic designers often use when putting together stuff like this merchandise. Who cares? The gp will never notice.

Bummer on the El Toro crew Nicole. Hope you still got enough ride time in.

Only got one ride in, but it was enough for my fix