TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Six Flags Great Adventure has sent us some awesome photos of their landmark topping off of SkyScreamer!

I've never been on one, but I don't blame Cedar Fair for going with Mondial. This looks like a dinky carnival ride. I would rather have Mondial's take on this concept even if it didn't take riders and it was purely for the light package.

Anybody know about how packed it will be on Friday? Tuesday?

Lemme check the future quick...

Oh geez, looks pretty crowded to me! There will also be a high if 68 degrees and the lines will average about one hour for each ride. Better make sure to buy a flash pass, but hurry because at 1:13 Batman gets stuck on its lift for about 20 minutes.

This might be my favorite post I have ever read on TPR! I can't stop laughing!

Chiller was meant to open in 1997, but there were far too many technical problems to keep it running.

Same with Mr. Freeze. In fact I think the Mr. Freeze rides never opened at all in 1997 and just sat there until the next season.

Six Flags Great Adventure has sent us some awesome photos of their landmark topping off of SkyScreamer!

I've never been on one, but I don't blame Cedar Fair for going with Mondial. This looks like a dinky carnival ride. I would rather have Mondial's take on this concept even if it didn't take riders and it was purely for the light package.

I like the way it looks. Its, for lack of a better phrase, "All colorful and shit". I'm not a huge fan of the top piece, why a globe? I don't think it makes very much sense to put a globe there, but whatever. I think that a Windseeker would just be too big for the park, especially in the area that its in. Maybe a Windseeker could work in place of the parachute tower, but the "Adventure Alley" location seems a bit out of place for an enormous Windseeker. I don't know why, maybe it's the fact that there are more trees and I feel like you wouldn't get a good view or something like that. Not sure how to put my thought into words there. I do feel like this is a better attraction though. It's still big, and it looks fun.

Anybody know about how packed it will be on Friday? Tuesday?

It will be very crowded both days unless it rains on Tuesday (the forecast says 30% chance of rain). Friday will be crowded with almost all schools on Spring Break that day since you have schools that were off this week and schools that have Spring Break next week but start their break on Friday. Then on Monday - Wednesday next week there is a large Jewish group that goes to the park every year for a few days (previously they used to go on Easter when they had a buyout and only they and passholders could get in but the park is now open to everyone on Easter).

^ Will you be spending the whole day? I've gone on a super busy weekday day in July and had no problem getting every credit in the park, then had a few hours to get in several re-rides on everything I wanted. The operations at that park were very good and efficient, and they were running multiple trains on everything. So even without a flashpass, you'd probably be ok.

^ Will you be spending the whole day? I've gone on a super busy weekday day in July and had no problem getting every credit in the park, then had a few hours to get in several re-rides on everything I wanted. The operations at that park were very good and efficient, and they were running multiple trains on everything. So even without a flashpass, you'd probably be ok.

You weren't there on a super busy day then. On a super busy day you are waiting at least 90 minutes for the major coasters: El Toro, Kingda Ka, S:UF, Green Lantern, Nitro, Batman: The Ride and Bizarro. It might have been a busy day but not a super busy day.

Yes I will be spending the whole day. I checked the ride hopper app (however accurate that is) but it said Bizarro, kingda ka, Nitro, and Green Lantern with at least an hour wait

Hmm. I'm not sure how accurate that thing is. Do you know if it goes by those posted signs in the queues that tell how long the wait is from a certain point? Because those things are way off a lot of the time. For instance, last time I was there, the line was way past the sign that said Kingda Ka was a two hour wait, but it was really more like a 25-30 minute wait. If that helps. But you could always be safe and get a flashpass if you want.

Hmm. I'm not sure how accurate that thing is. Do you know if it goes by those posted signs in the queues that tell how long the wait is from a certain point? Because those things are way off a lot of the time. For instance, last time I was there, the line was way past the sign that said Kingda Ka was a two hour wait, but it was really more like a 25-30 minute wait. If that helps. But you could always be safe and get a flashpass if you want.

I'm pretty sure anyone within the park can just post whatever wait time they want so someone could just be putting totally inaccurate Que times.

The park wasn't too crowded today (the lot was about 40% full) but lines were long because rides kept breaking down or in some cases like the Log Flume closed (I expected it to be open after it was open at the beginning of the season for 2010 and 2011). Nitro and Bizarro were running 2 trains and I think Green Lantern was as well. Bizarro had some of the slowest dispatches I have ever seen with one train getting to the brake run before the restraints on the train in the station even were checked. Kingda Ka, Skyway and Runaway Mine Train kept opening for a short time and then closing back down again.

Kingda Ka only launched 2 trains after being closed before closing again because of problems, then reopened launched 3 or 4 trains then closed again for a while and then reopened. When I left the park, Nitro's line was in the switchbacks and with 2 trains running was probably around an hour, Batman's line was in the Garden area and Green Lantern's line was almost to the switchbacks at the end of the line.

The park wasn't too crowded today (the lot was about 40% full) but lines were long because rides kept breaking down or in some cases like the Log Flume closed (I expected it to be open after it was open at the beginning of the season for 2010 and 2011). Nitro and Bizarro were running 2 trains and I think Green Lantern was as well. Bizarro had some of the slowest dispatches I have ever seen with one train getting to the brake run before the restraints on the train in the station even were checked. Kingda Ka, Skyway and Runaway Mine Train kept opening for a short time and then closing back down again.

Kingda Ka only launched 2 trains after being closed before closing again because of problems, then reopened launched 3 or 4 trains then closed again for a while and then reopened. When I left the park, Nitro's line was in the switchbacks and with 2 trains running was probably around an hour, Batman's line was in the Garden area and Green Lantern's line was almost to the switchbacks at the end of the line.

Hopefully they get their act together by monday

Rumor has it that the Chiller is going to Brazil. Facts: 1. Beto Carrero World Theme Park removed two rides and cleared a big area in the Old West region. 2. A few employees saw a model of a roller coaster and, according to their description, they appeared to be talking about something fairly similar to the chiller. 3. When the rumor about that new roller coaster started, the chiller was said/announced to have been sold.

I'm glad that it isn't going to be scrapped, but I wish it was staying in the US. The first time I went to Great Adventure it was closed and then that off season they removed it for Dark Knight. I was pissed. Really wanted to ride it. I highly doubt I'll ever be in Brazil, so goodbye Chiller!

Rumor has it that the Chiller is going to Brazil. Facts: 1. Beto Carrero World Theme Park removed two rides and cleared a big area in the Old West region. 2. A few employees saw a model of a roller coaster and, according to their description, they appeared to be talking about something fairly similar to the chiller. 3. When the rumor about that new roller coaster started, the chiller was said/announced to have been sold.

We're still waiting to see which Brazilian park bought & would install two face from SFA.

We're still waiting to see which Brazilian park bought & would install two face from SFA.

No one! Two Face went to Italy!

OK, staying on the topic of SFGAdv, here is my take on the park from my visit this morning.

I was at the park for the 10:30 rope drop. Security announced the Frontier area (Medusa, Runaway Train) would not open til 11AM. I'm the third person to arrive at El Toro but they are still testing with water dummies and there is a sign out front stating El Toro is currently closed. I stick around because I see them unloading the water dummies, but most people don't wait. Once in the station it takes about 10 minutes for enough people to show up and fill the first 3 cars. because of the cold weather they won't release the coaster until the first three cars are filled. I got in about 7 rides either staying on the same train or exiting the station and walking right back on.

Once El Toro stopped being a walk-on I proceded to the Season Pass Processing Center, which was about a 25 minute wait. Green Lantern had a very long line out to the entrance, but I don't think all the switchbacks were open. I heard people in the Season Pass Processing line saying S:UF had a long line (I'm not sure how long it was).

After getting my pass I headed to check out the new rides construction progress. I had pictures but dropped by camera upon leaving the park and broke it.

Then over to Nitro. The line was to the bottom of the stairs but once in the station every row except Row 1 was only a two train wait. Nitro was only running two trains. From the brake run you could see the third train in pieces behind the maintenance shed.

Got a quick ride on B:TR in the last row as it was a walk-on.

The park is moving their metal detectors to an area between the parking lot and the ticket booths. New metal detectors are currently set up there but not operating. So for the time being you still pass through the metal detectors after yout ticket/pass is scanned.

The park appeared to have about twice the crowds as last year's Easter Sunday. As opposed to previous Easter Sundays when the park was only open to a Private Group along with Season Pass holders, this year the park was open to everyone.