TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

EDIT: Another random question I just thought of. What's the longest a coaster has been in storage and lived to tell about it?

Just a guess...the former Londonderry Express from Lotte World closed in 2002 and was resurrected in Kuwait in 2009. Although RCDB states it could actually have opened earlier.

Is there any reason why Chiller was down so much more than the Mr. Freeze's? They're similar rides, Chiller just seemed to not work.

The two Freezes were made after the Chiller, so there was slightly more time to work out the kinks with the LIM systems. Plus I'm sure it didn't help that for a little while they tried to launch both Chiller tracks at once.

Oh how much I miss Chillers roar. You new from the other side of the park when it was running.

It's funny, I only got to ride the Batman side with the lapbars and the zero g roll. While I never got a chance to ride Robin with the zero g rolls. I only got t o ride Robin with the S-Hill. I seriously miss it.

Is there any reason why Chiller was down so much more than the Mr. Freeze's? They're similar rides, Chiller just seemed to not work.

The two Freezes were made after the Chiller, so there was slightly more time to work out the kinks with the LIM systems. Plus I'm sure it didn't help that for a little while they tried to launch both Chiller tracks at once.

While this is true, they dumped so much money into the ride trying to make it reliable...wouldn't they have updated the technology to that similar of the Mr. Freeze rides, if those actually ran well?

I'm still in the dark on why the final decision was made to cut it all-together.

While this is true, they dumped so much money into the ride trying to make it reliable...wouldn't they have updated the technology to that similar of the Mr. Freeze rides, if those actually ran well?

I'm still in the dark on why the final decision was made to cut it all-together.

From Great Adventure History:

For the 2005 season, the ride was given a fresh look with new paint. The Robin side was given a fresh red color replacing the chalky looking pink color it had become, and the Batman side was given a much darker blue color.

During the 2006 season, an intensive effort was made to get the ride fully operational as the park had promised for several seasons. The Robin side was opened, with the Batman side scheduled to follow in the summer. In June, an incident involving the Robin train closed the ride entirely for the remainder of the season.

During the off season the rumors were fueled by insiders who reported the removal of track sections. The removal was part of a re-profiling effort in which the ride's barrel rolls were removed and replaced with new track.

In spring of 2007, reconstruction of the Chiller tracks was underway, with the modified support structure in place and the Robin track in place.

Though the new track configuration was supposed to have eliminated inherent design problems which caused the incident on the Robin train in the 2006 season, a second incident occurred in spring of 2007, and the ride was closed again, this time permanently.

Neither Freeze had such incidents (as far as I know anyway) that closed them entire seasons. Think about it- they had a season ending accident, made new track to fix it, and it failed. Why spend more money to try to get it up again if that might not even work, especially when Kingda Ka had been having plenty of its own issues that needed constant attention?

It was a great ride and it's a shame it had to be removed, and I don't think the park wanted to- it had a Flashpass Entrance built that I don't believe was ever even used! Unfortunately, it was just too much to keep fixing.

Here's a update on SkyScreamer!

Topped off picture!!!!!!!

Just posted on SFGAdv's FaceBook!

10,000 lb. piece makes its home atop 24-story SkyScreamer!

Here's a close-up of the action!

Lookin' Good!

Sky Screamer looks really nice with Big Wheel.

That doesn't look like it's taller than Nitro at all... Maybe because there's nothing to compare it too, but it only looks about as tall as Bizarro if even.

It's definitely 200'+ just by looking at it. Also, coasters look much more massive than a tall flat ride.

Neither Freeze had such incidents (as far as I know anyway) that closed them entire seasons. Think about it- they had a season ending accident, made new track to fix it, and it failed. Why spend more money to try to get it up again if that might not even work, especially when Kingda Ka had been having plenty of its own issues that needed constant attention?

It was a great ride and it's a shame it had to be removed, and I don't think the park wanted to- it had a Flashpass Entrance built that I don't believe was ever even used! Unfortunately, it was just too much to keep fixing.

I understand that, but why did this particular ride have issues if neither of the Mr. Freeze's did? Weren't they fairly similar rides technology-wise?

^Like someone said, the Mr. Freeze clones opened years later, which gave Premier time to work on their LIM systems. Also, running two LIM coasters simultaneously, or even alternating, is a HUGE energy consumer. There's a reason why these electromagnetically-launched coasters have their own generators. From ultimaterollercoaster.com, about Wicked Twister at Cedar Point:

But LIMs come with some unique requirements and Cedar Point has to install a dedicated 34,000-volt power line that stretches four miles for one purpose: to power the coaster. With all this juice Wicked Twister's train will reach a speed of 72 mph in just 2.5 seconds. And that's wicked fast!

"We're using such a massive jolt of electricity to operate Wicked Twister that it would be enough to power 550 average-sized homes," said Monty Jasper, vice president of maintenance and construction at Cedar Point.

Now imagine launching two of them, for a while at the same exact time. You can see why the park couldn't handle them, right? And I'm sure the system's problems all stemmed from the power overuse.

And then on top of it you have the problem of the forces in the barrel rolls. I never got to ride them myself, or the ride at all - I only got to see it being taken down. But I have to imagine that hitting a roll like that, especially backwards when your body isn't expecting it, stresses both the body and the trains pretty hard.

I'm really glad they decided to add some flats back in the park and hopefully that means a new coaster in 2013. Can't wait till Saturday and see the progress plus start the coaster season off right on EL Toro!!

Anybody know about how packed it will be on Friday? Tuesday?

Lemme check the future quick...

Oh geez, looks pretty crowded to me! There will also be a high if 68 degrees and the lines will average about one hour for each ride. Better make sure to buy a flash pass, but hurry because at 1:13 Batman gets stuck on its lift for about 20 minutes.

^Like someone said, the Mr. Freeze clones opened years later, which gave Premier time to work on their LIM systems. Also, running two LIM coasters simultaneously, or even alternating, is a HUGE energy consumer. There's a reason why these electromagnetically-launched coasters have their own generators. From ultimaterollercoaster.com, about Wicked Twister at Cedar Point:

But LIMs come with some unique requirements and Cedar Point has to install a dedicated 34,000-volt power line that stretches four miles for one purpose: to power the coaster. With all this juice Wicked Twister's train will reach a speed of 72 mph in just 2.5 seconds. And that's wicked fast!

"We're using such a massive jolt of electricity to operate Wicked Twister that it would be enough to power 550 average-sized homes," said Monty Jasper, vice president of maintenance and construction at Cedar Point.

Now imagine launching two of them, for a while at the same exact time. You can see why the park couldn't handle them, right? And I'm sure the system's problems all stemmed from the power overuse.

And then on top of it you have the problem of the forces in the barrel rolls. I never got to ride them myself, or the ride at all - I only got to see it being taken down. But I have to imagine that hitting a roll like that, especially backwards when your body isn't expecting it, stresses both the body and the trains pretty hard.

Yea, all that makes sense, but chiller was broken down even after the Mr. Freeze rides were up and running. My point is, why could those run successfully and this one not? Sure it was older technology, but after dumping so much money into the ride to change the profile of it, why couldn't they update the LIM's as well? Chiller constantly swapped LIM's from one track to another. It seemed like every so often one side would have more and the other less as they switched them around. So how hard would it have been to order new ones? If it was that easy haha......

Power consumption is another issue. If anything, if they could have gotten the ride working properly, they could have just one side open each day and eliminate the need to launch them both at the same time.

I know I'm re-hashing an old issue, but the chiller de-construction never made sense to me

The Freeze's opened the same year (1998) as Chiller.

The Freeze's opened the same year (1998) as Chiller.

Chiller was meant to open in 1997, but there were far too many technical problems to keep it running.