TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

TBH, With the Exception of Bizarro, I can't think of a single coaster at GAdv that could be relocated.

Dark Knight! Move it out of there and put a giant multilooper in the Dark Knight/Chiller spot. Ever since the Chiller left that whole area has been dead.

Also, to get a little pedantic, Bizarro isn't really a clone; it's the original floorless! But it is on a nice flat tract of land, so I should probably get in as many rides on it as I can before it's gone.

Pardon the double-post, but this news from Screamscape seems pretty noteworthy:

In other news, Six Flags Great Adventure has been sending out a survey about possible new attractions under consideration this week, and wouldn’t you know it, but one of the ideas pitched is “Worlds tallest drop tower”, a 400+ foot free fall experience. They don’t mention that it will be attached to the Kingda Ka tower, but it sure fits the bill. Anothr interesting idea pitched in the survey include an Animal Safari excursion tour that leave from the theme park and take you on a guided off-road tour into the wilderness. They also talk about “Bumper Kart Racing”, a “3D Interactive Space Adventure Coaster”, “World’s Biggest Interactive Fun House” and “Hyper Fast Steel Coaster”. The later idea mentions a 70mph coaster experience that will rip through a track over a mile long, going from Golden Kingdom through Plaza Del Carnaval and over to Frontier Adventures and back again.

Is that real-life Mario Kart I see as an option? And the iCheetahMaverSpeed that Magic Mountain apparently isn't getting?

I'm guessing it goes without saying that the 500-foot prefab Wing Rider Aqua Trax was one of the other options.

Hyper Fast Roller Coaster? Isn't that a bit GPish?

Well, there already is Nitro, though an Intamin Gigacoaster could be built in SFGAdv considering there is lots of land and the park has a large attendance.

Since the park removed Chiller and GASM, they somewhat lack a quality looper, with 3 clones (Bizzaro, B:TR and S:UF) and GL (a near-clone, and hand-me-down) serving as the only coasters with inversions. A ride like Maverick or Cheetah Hunt would be an unbelievable fit, either somewhere by the Golden Kingdom, or in Movietown on and around Chiller's old footprint.

I don't see how the fact that there is another coaster somehwere else in the country with a similar or same layout, or the fact that a coaster once operated elsewhere makes it not a "quality" experience. Those rides are still thrilling, smooth, and invert you plenty of times. I just don't get how being a clone or hand-me-down means they don't fill the role of quality looper. I don't think that means that the park needs another looper.

Anyway, my vote would be for the massive drop tower, and obviously I wouldn't complain about a Maverick/Cheetah-esque launcher.

I don't see how the fact that there is another coaster somehwere else in the country with a similar or same layout, or the fact that a coaster once operated elsewhere makes it not a "quality" experience. Those rides are still thrilling, smooth, and invert you plenty of times. I just don't get how being a clone or hand-me-down means they don't fill the role of quality looper. I don't think that means that the park needs another looper.

Anyway, my vote would be for the massive drop tower, and obviously I wouldn't complain about a Maverick/Cheetah-esque launcher.

Ok, I'll be a little more detailed and take away some of the "enthusiast" in me that recognizes things like some of these rides are clones or hand-me-downs...S:UF relies on a gimmick and gets boring after a few rides, Bizzaro has developed an awful rattle with some significant head-banging (especially for a Beemer), and B:TR is nearing its 20th anniversary. I rode GL when it was Chang, and similar to S:UF it relies on gimmick over substance.

I don't think the park "needs" anything in terms of coasters...but if they are to get another major coaster, I think a ride similar to Maverick or Cheetah Hunt would be perfect. GL has been the only looper the park has added in the last 13 (going on 14) years, and I think something unique and highly rated like those Intamin creations would be a great fit and would balance out the lineup.

I really do think that enthusiasts are spoiled and find things wrong with everything.

QFT. Sometimes when I look at TPR I feel like an idiot for not finding a problem with every coaster. I went to GAdv with some college friends in October, and I was pretty much the only one not to find Bizarro boring.

Even if it's one that I know is rough or isn't terribly interesting, I'll go on it and enjoy it at least a little bit because, hey, roller coaster. It's not something you do every day (well, at something I don't do every day) and I try to cherish every moment of it.

Except for Shockwave at KD. Tear that to the ground.

^^^^ I disagree about GL relying on a gimmick. I think it's a great ride and plenty thrilling and forceful. Also, I think the Batman clones are stellar and no matter how old they are or how many times I've ridden them, I still think they are awesome and intense. I will say, I agree with you on S:UF. But we all have our opinions.

I am among those who have never experienced this alleged rattle or roughness on Bixarro. This past summer I thought it was perfectly smooth, and pretty fun.

Bizarro (Medusa) came first. Scream is the clone, not Bizarro.

I know, but it is still a layout that has its clones, and a bunch of near-clones.

And don't get me wrong, I LOVE my home park's coaster collection, and I am damn lucky that it is within an hour's distance of me. I wouldn't trade the coaster collection for any other park I've been to, and with a coaster count of about 135 credits, I've probably been to nearly 30 parks. With that said, if a new coaster is to be added, I do feel that a quality, unique looper would be the perfect fit. This is amplified by the fact that in the last 5 years they've removed a former record-breaking looper in GASM, and the 2 most unique loopers in the park (and my favorites) with Chiller. And as I said, when it comes to coasters the park doesn't "need" anything, and I'd be perfectly fine with no new coaster additions for a few more years...but if the opportunity is out there to add a new, major coaster, I think a ride like Maverick or Cheetah Hunt would be the perfect fit.

^ don't waste your time asking for a cheetah hunt. I thought it was very underwhelming when I rode it back in November. I thought just about every other coaster there was more exciting than it. As for Chang being a gimmick, I disagree, even if it wasn't a standup and was a sit-down its still much more forceful than bizarro and the pacing is so much faster. (more like batman/kumba in this respect) Its a great ride on its own. I strongly believe that B&M made its best loopers in 90's. Around 98-99 they started to tone them down a lot. The cedar fair B&m loopers seem the tamest of them all. The difference between Bizarro and Kumba which share most of their layout is huge. Everything on Bizarro is enlarged and taken much slower.

I've never had a roughness problem with Bizarro... I really do think that enthusiasts are spoiled and find things wrong with everything.

I agree. I don't find it rough at all. Bizarro is probably my 3rd favorite coaster at the park after El Toro and Nitro. I rode that coaster the year it opened and have loved it ever since. It's a really underrated ride.

^ don't waste your time asking for a cheetah hunt. I thought it was very underwhelming when I rode it back in November.

That's my opinion as well. I didn't go in thinking it was going to be Maverick- every review I read until I got to see it for myself was pretty clear on what to expect and what not to expect. Got off the ride feeling underwhelmed (even with the lowered expectations). Shortly after that (7 seconds) I remembered that Kumba and Montu were in the park too, so all's well that ends well.

The idea came to me a few days ago and I haven't been able to stop thinking about how awesome it would be. What if Bizarro's trains were backwards? It would make it more bizarre and thrilling. Don't see how it wouldn't be possible either. Won't happen, but it would be fun as hell.

Wouldn't running bizzarros trains backwards require all the floorless station hardware too be removed and reinstalled backwards. It would have been cool but I have my doubts that it was actually tested. The anti rollbacks on the trains would have to be reversed as well.

Believe it or not, during the transition from Medusa to Bizarro the trains were actually going to run backwards. They were even tested backwards. However park execs. determined the ride was "too uncomfortable" in that position. Would've been a fun ride IMO.

I really doubt that. As mentioned, all the hardware in the station and on the train would have to be changed to be able to run backwards.

^They also had to change hardware in the station to be able to charge the audio systems on the trains. SheiKra changed all the hardware in its station when it was converted to a floorless a few years ago. I'm sure there's more examples - if a park wants to change things, they can find a way to do it. Especially if they're already remarketing a ride as totally different and completely new.

I still doubt it though, so I'm with you there.

I don't see how it would be uncomfortable backwards. It would be 3x as fun I think, especially going through the Zero-G and Cobra Roll. It wouldn't be too hard to redo all of the station mechanics and would probably get more people to go to the park to ride a backwards B&M.

I don't see how it would be uncomfortable backwards. It would be 3x as fun I think, especially going through the Zero-G and Cobra Roll. It wouldn't be too hard to redo all of the station mechanics and would probably get more people to go to the park to ride a backwards B&M.

Uncomfortable - because it wasn't designed to run in that manner.

3x as fun - how about 33% of the fun

It wouldn't be too hard to redo all the station mechanics - how many stations have you redesigned?

Uncomfortable - because it wasn't designed to run in that manner.

3x as fun - how about 33% of the fun

It wouldn't be too hard to redo all the station mechanics - how many stations have you redesigned?

I'm not saying I will personally redesign the station mechanics, but it has been done before. Someone mentioned above SheiKra which is a good example.