TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

This whole thing doesn't seem weird to anyone else?!!?

Didn't they announce a real manufacturer adding the Drop Pod onto one of their slides back in the fall? If that fell through why not get that manufacturer to supply a slide? Why did they go with some random Eastern European company? I'm assuming it's a cost thing, but this all seems a bit odd to me. Add in the fact that it has an old school halfpipe finale which will kill capacity and I just don't get it!

Do you not agree with the addition?

Capacity may not be strong, but I think it's a solid attraction

^^They are going with two lanes, though. That would improve capacity over a normal halfpipe. However, I do agree Whitewater's Boomerang is a far superior design to the traditional halfpipe, since it more than triples the capacity. (100 per hour for a half pipe, 350 per hour for a boomerang) Put two boomerangs together, and you can get a capacity of about 700 riders per hour. With two family boomerangs, up to 1400 riders per hour is possible. This thing will probably get about 200 per hour, even less than a single boomerang. Besides, the only fun parts of halfpipes are the first drop and the backwards fall, and white water probably came up with the boomerang keeping this factor in mind.

First, one of the largest parks gets a zac spin, now another park gets a ride with a third the capacity it could have!?

^I think they'll be lucky if they get even NEAR the theoretical capacity you've listed.

I agree with SharkTums, there is no way you'll be getting 200 people an hour. Plus, we're talking about Six Flags, known for making low capacity rides have even lower capacity. *cough* Superman (SFDK) *cough*

This whole thing doesn't seem weird to anyone else?!!?

Didn't they announce a real manufacturer adding the Drop Pod onto one of their slides back in the fall? If that fell through why not get that manufacturer to supply a slide? Why did they go with some random Eastern European company? I'm assuming it's a cost thing, but this all seems a bit odd to me. Add in the fact that it has an old school halfpipe finale which will kill capacity and I just don't get it!

That's pretty much what I was thinking when I read this. I'm sure it will be a fun ride, but nothing like the hype some people were giving it. Basically, it's two helices with a halfpipe ending. It looks like they're going for a quicker ending, though, with less back and forth before getting off..

I'll give them credit for some really creative theming, though. It LOOKS impressive. (Though I'm calling foul on that last picture, which is taken at such an angle to make the big drop look completely vertical, when it isn't nearly so.)

I just wonder what happened with the Drop Pod. Sure, it's a gimmick, but it's a pretty cool one! There are supposed to be bunch of them opening this year. WIth the Texas park not making their bigger announcement about it yet, I wonder if they've been called off?

The cobra looks cool, but it seems too much like existing slides to me, just with much better theming. Of course anything new is great, and I'm sure people will like it, but I would have liked to have the drop pods more. It would be really interesting to find out what happened. I'm interested in seeing how well the paint holds up. Usually by the end of the season all the rides get pretty sun bleaches. This will be interesting to follow.

^I think they'll be lucky if they get even NEAR the theoretical capacity you've listed.

I agree with SharkTums, there is no way you'll be getting 200 people an hour. Plus, we're talking about Six Flags, known for making low capacity rides have even lower capacity. *cough* Superman (SFDK) *cough*

Interestingly enough, even the company isn't sure what the theoretical capacity is.

If you go to their website (which of course only loads correctly with internet explorer. a terrible sign), The products page lists it at 100 rafts x4 people per hour http://www.polin.com.tr/eng/productdetail.aspx?id=71

Yet their online catalog lists it at 120 rafts x4 people per hour.http://www.polin.com.tr/ebook/waterslides/

1 raft every 30 seconds? really?

-chris "thinks they might just be pulling numbers out of a hat" connolly

I'm still considering upping my season pass to the 3 park option, because I think upgrading would cost less than just buying a day at HH.

I think the ride is just going to end up being one huge guessing game. There's a lot of factors that will be dependent on how much capacity it will end up having.

I saw a concept of this being displayed at the World Waterpark Conference in October. I thought it looked interesting, but as already mentioned, pretty much something that had already been done before, just with a big cobra head. I asked the representative of Polin a bunch of questions, and their response was "I don't know", "We have to see" on just about everything. Probably not a good sign....

I have no problems with the logo. At least a small flat ride gets a logo. Most flat rides just have normal font lettering.

EDIT: Oops, I thought this was going to be the bumper cars for some reason. Now, I think the logo is very out of place.

Edited by XYZ

From Screamscape:

2013/2014 - Giga Drop - Rumor - (2/27/12) Rumor has it that Six Flags Great Adventure has a new world record ride plan in the works that may shock you. If they go ahead with it, look for it to come in either 2013 or 2014, and will involve somehow mounting a Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom style ride system to the 456 foot tall Kingda Ka tower structure. Looks like poor SFMM wont have the drop tower record for very long.

Here

Really interesting idea, it'd be super cool to see how they'd do this.

^I have to agree. Sadly, I still haven't ridden Kingda Ka (it was closed when I visited), but I've always thought it was an extremely sexy-looking coaster.

I won't know until I see it, but I don't think Lex Luthor will be too much of an eyesore on Superman, but on Kingda Ka? I think it'd ruin KK's sexyness. I could totally see Six Flags doing this, though, especially if Lex Luthor is a huge success.

I am also ambivalent about this idea. Unlike LL:DOD or Giant Drop, I don't see how a drop ride could be grafted onto Kingda Ka's support tower without some serious retooling, at which point it'd probably just be easier to make the drop ride a standalone structure.

That being said, has there been any new news regarding KK's broken-down-ness? Have there been any attempts made to fix it in the off-season or is it just sitting there all busted up?