TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

If this 240 foot upgrade means that they have swapped models with SFFT, and Fiesta will be getting the shorter version (AFTER they had a press release advertising the new ride to be taller) then I have to say, that's a quite a BS move on Six Flags' part.

^^I believe that SFFT was advertised as getting a 200 ft. model, so I highly doubt this is a ride swap. More than likely, Six Flags just decided that it would be better for marketing to get a taller ride, as the park already has a number of tall attractions and a 15 story model wouldn't look too impressive. Unless I am mistaken, a 200 ft tall model at SFFT will be the tallest (or second tallest) ride there so there isn't much purpose to make that one taller.

Whatever the height, I'm just glad SFGAdv is getting some non-coaster rides, as I found the park seriously lacking in that department when I visited this past summer.

I made the trip over to Great Adventure on Friday October 7th to finally get my Green Lantern credit! Gay day was originally supposed to be in September as a private event but was moved due to rain, so it was open to the public also. The lines were not as bad as I had thought or heard during Frightfest plus with the Out event so I was surprised that the longest wait was about 30 minutes.

The park was actually doing a great job with moving the lines compared to other times I had been there, most of the hold ups where stupid people not paying attention. Also I haven't actually been to Great Adventure at night in a long time so Nitro/El Toro were AMAZING for night rides. We didn't do any of the Frightfest events, but I'm thinking I want to go next year and check them out.

Green Lantern was the only new credit and as far as standups go, I'd say its my favorite but still not a big fan of standups. I've ridden Mantis, Shockwave(KD) and Cobra(La Ronde) before and none of them have impressed me. The Green Lantern seems very loud but maybe that's just me.

The first Friday night of Frightfest is usually very empty, this year they were actually going to be closed that night but I guess because they moved the buyout, they decided to open the park not just for those attending the Gay night.

I was there today and I agree that they really tried to keep the lines moving. I wasn't sure how great operations would be since I thought it might be difficult to find enough ride ops to work on a Monday in October but everything was running the maximum amount of trains and they had both sides of Rolling Thunder and the Skyway open plus the Log Flume. I was very impressed.

Did anyone make it Fright Fest on Saturday or Sunday last week? I'm just wondering how the lines were. We are headed out there tomorrow and with great weather (plus bad weather today and it being closer to Halloween, I'm wondering how busy it will be. Anyone have a prediction?

^Thanks for the advice about lines yesterday.. I figure it might be helpful to share my experience for anyone else traveling to six flags this year during fright fest.

Saturday was a beautiful day in the 60's but a little windy.

Before noon every ride was nearly a walk on except for Green Lantern (new) and Superman as always (slow loading).

By 1:00pm every major coaster except for rolling thunder had hour long waits.

By 3:00pm nearly every queue was completely full

By 5:00pm The parking lots was completely full and El-Toro had an extended queue pushing all the way back to the Medusa Bridge. That wait had to be at least 3:00 hours.- Nitro backed up to near the Batman entrance and the season pass processing line was 2+ hours.

I guess the moral of the story is, if you want to ride everything and have a relaxing day at the park this time of year then gold flash pass is your friend.

^Thanks for the advice about lines yesterday.. I figure it might be helpful to share my experience for anyone else traveling to six flags this year during fright fest.

Saturday was a beautiful day in the 60's but a little windy.

Before noon every ride was nearly a walk on except for Green Lantern (new) and Superman as always (slow loading).

By 1:00pm every major coaster except for rolling thunder had hour long waits.

By 3:00pm nearly every queue was completely full

By 5:00pm The parking lots was completely full and El-Toro had an extended queue pushing all the way back to the Medusa Bridge. That wait had to be at least 3:00 hours.- Nitro backed up to near the Batman entrance and the season pass processing line was 2+ hours.

I guess the moral of the story is, if you want to ride everything and have a relaxing day at the park this time of year then gold flash pass is your friend.

Sounds typical for this time of year. Thanks for confirming,

Edited by larrygator

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like whoever bought Chiller before backed out of the deal. I guess that it was pretty obvious sense its been sitting in storage down the street from the park since it was taken down.

http://www.italintl.com/detail_page.php?record_id=1546

Could they spilt the sides apart? Like could Robin be sold somewhere and Batman sold to another park? Because I think that would be the best bet for any park looking into it.

Could they spilt the sides apart? Like could Robin be sold somewhere and Batman sold to another park? Because I think that would be the best bet for any park looking into it.

Not likely. The support structure is designed to support both tracks at once. It's a little misleading because Batman's top hat supports are blue while Robin's cobra roll supports are red - but they're not separate structures -

You can see how the half loops of the cobra roll are supported by the same structure supporting the top hat.

I'm unclear to why the heart line rolls were removed... I read somewhere that they feared the train stalling if the LIMs failed, but to me it looks like the train would stall after the roll. Was it an issue with forces? Were the rolls uncomfortable?

I only got to ride Robin: Chiller back in 2005 since Batman was closed with no train on the track. It was definitely one of the surprise coasters of my trip back then as I thought it was great. The roll, IMO, was the best part of the ride, especially going backwards. It was not uncomfortable at all thanks to lap bars only.