TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I can attest to the speculation that this maze will be a great one! Being involved in the soundtrack production for the maze, I can already it will stray away from the fun type of Camp that many saw in Camp Gonnagetcha at Worlds of Fun, and will instead be a more demonic and twisted camp, hence the name; Camp Wekilou.

Yes the area has been quite prone to flooding, and Management heavily debated whether or not to put it in a spot so close to the MN River. Ultimately it was decided that the event was such a success last year, that a new Maze was needed to alleviate crowds. This was the area they thought could be used best.

Glad to hear they keep wanting to expand the event. Hopefully in a few years the event will continue to grow.

Hello,

I´m from Spain (Europe) and next monday I will go to SFGA (Will be my second time there). My first time, I couldn´t ride in Kingda Ka, and this time, I want to try it again. I hope to get sucess beacuse it´s very far to me.

Is KK working in these days?

And other question, I want to know how long the lines are going to be for a this day (Monday August 8)

Thank you and sorry for my English.

I'm not sure if KK is running, but if you want the shortest lines, head to KK and El Toro first thing in the morning. Then hit up Bizarro (you can walk under Toro to get to it faster). Take sky ride to the other side of the park and take care of Nitro, Batman, and TDK.

I've only done Green Lantern once on opening day, so I can't really tell you much about how the line is. I'm guessing it would probably be shorter right at the beginning of the day though

I went on Wednesday and it was a great day to be there. Everything was no more than a station wait, even Kingda Ka (though it broke down numerous times). I guess people were scared off by the forecast, but the first few hours of the day were sunny and warm, then it got cloudy with drizzle at times. Didn't start to actually rain until 5, and that was for like 10 minutes, and then it went back to drizzle until 9 o'clock when they decided to close a half hour early. I'm glad I didn't pre-pay for a Flash Pass, as it would have been quite useless. They ran all the coasters, even with the rain, which is more than I can say for what Dorney Park did 2 days earlier. (they even tried Kingda Ka in the rain, but I think that's what caused it's technical difficulties later on.)

I gotta say, they may be slow to dispatch trains, but they try really hard to keep things open, and they had some of the nicest theme park employees I've witnessed in quite a while.

Edited by megametal

I'm not sure if KK is running, but if you want the shortest lines, head to KK and El Toro first thing in the morning. Then hit up Bizarro (you can walk under Toro to get to it faster). Take sky ride to the other side of the park and take care of Nitro, Batman, and TDK.

I've only done Green Lantern once on opening day, so I can't really tell you much about how the line is. I'm guessing it would probably be shorter right at the beginning of the day though

With the addition of Green Lantern, this plan is perfect. If you do everything like he said, and then hit Green Lantern around...3-4pm, the line will have gone from 40 minutes to down around 5!

Green Lantern is the only coaster with a single rider line, but it only cuts out the final 20 minutes of the wait.

So, essentially, none.

Enjoy your trip! On Friday, Ka was running sporadically, but I hope you get on!

I would just like to take a second and applaud the Nitro ride crew. I went to the park yesterday and Nitro was running 3 trains without stacking! First time to the park and I was very impressed with all of the ride operations.

Yes! I was too impressed with the Nitro crew. In ERT, there were 3 trains running and they would even despatch the train in the station before the next train was on the final block. It was incredible.

Hey everyone! I am going to be making a trip to NYC for a business trip in September, but the official trip will only be from Monday Through Friday. I would LOVE to add a night or two on the front or end of the trip to go ride Cyclone and possibly even Kingda Ka.

DISCLAIMER:I am NOT a Northeaster and have not been in that area of the country in over 20 years ago. Naive questions ahead

So those of you that know, am I crazy for trying to take an early morning flight on Sunday, then make it to Cyclone AND Kingda Ka (plus a small count of others), or am I just better off planning to be there all weekend?

Also, what is the best hotel to stay at (subjective I know) out near Six Flags? I would prefer to stay in a hotel other than the one the business is putting us up in the city.

Lastly, how easy is it to get taxis to take such a trip or is it just best to plan to rent a car?

Thank you everybody in advance!!!

This is what you do. Go to the Port Authority bus terminal and hop on one of the daily busses to Great Adventure, easy as that. They take you to the parking lot and come pick you up at night. It's cheap and convenient. Then proceed to ride El Toro and ride until you feel stupider. Nitro And Kingda Ka are both very fun but Toro is king. Take the New York Subway to Coney Island, It's a cool trip on it's own. My sister and I went down at midnight and it was spectacular. We were in Manhattan and the trip took about an hour it seems. The trip to Great Adventure will be about 45 minutes. The busses do come a little before closing but not too bad.

If you can do it, buy a Fastpass unlimited. Mine was like 80 bucks and very worth it. That place can get very busy.

...and yes you want to stay the weekend, it's NYC man!! Oh, the drop on Cyclone is killer in the back.

Yeah, Flash Pass really helps, especially for the big ones. The time to wait, time to get on, and get off, most rides are 10 minutes with Gold. Lines can be up to an hour and a half long, so I suggest getting one, u'll get a lot more in then you expect (I got around to all the roller coasters once in an hour and a half). If you've never been on a flyer before, I'd go on Ultimate Flight once just to try it out, but only once. Then I'd hit up Ka afterwards, and then Toro. Afterwards hit up Nitro and maybe Batman and if you have time repeat(?) Green Lantern and Bizarro really aren't worth hitting up. And heres a list of average queue times and what the Gold Pass would do.

Ultimate Flight: Anywhere from 45 minutes to 90 minutes (Less in the afternoon) Gold Pass: 5-10 minutes

Kingda Ka: A long time Gold Pass: 10 minutes

El Toro: 30 minutes+ Gold Pass: 5 minutes

Nitro: 45 minutes+ Gold Pass: 10 minutes.

Well worth it to get a Flash Pass. Gold is a lot better than the regular.

^^^You need the whole weekend.

Traffic is just too unpredictable to do both Coney Island and SFGAdv on the same day.

Not sure when The Cyclone opens, on the day you arrive but if it opens at noon and ride only the Cyclone you might be in for a 2.5 hour drive to SFGAdv. That gets you to SFGAdv around 3PM, so if Flash Passes are available it is doable.

Getting a NYC cab from Coney Island to SFGAdv will be nearly impossible. NYC Cabs are not obligated to drive passengers to New Jersey and it will be unlikely a cab driver would agree to it since it is a one way fare. If they did agree, the cab would cost you more than $100 for one way.

I rode the Cyclone for the first time last year in row 2, wasn't too impressed, but was happy to be able to say I'd been on it.

I went again and rode it in the back row this year after being advised to in my trip report, and was blown away by how different the ride was. Tons of airtime, some roughness, but an amazing ride. I would definitely try it out (and try out the Zamperla Air Race while you're there too).

As Larry said, hotels are a 15-20 minutes away from the park. A taxi seems unlikely, bus would be best bet. I know you can get a bus to downtown Freehold, but not sure if there are any stops at the hotels.

El Toro is by far the best ride, and I like Green Lantern and Bizarro as 2 and 3. Since you're coming so far, I'd definately recommend a Flashpass, though I haven't had much trouble with lines this season, the September weekends can get crowded.