TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I was just at the park two days ago and when I rode Bizarro, the audio was completely off, no static or anything. I may be wrong but I heard somewhere that the audio on the New England version is getting changed to generic techno/pop music. I really hope that's not going to happen to ours anytime soon.

I was just at the park two days ago and when I rode Bizarro, the audio was completely off, no static or anything. I may be wrong but I heard somewhere that the audio on the New England version is getting changed to generic techno/pop music. I really hope that's not going to happen to ours anytime soon.

It got changed to mostly classic rock. On the lift hill it plays the intro to Loose Yourself by Eminem, but thats it. And when you exit the second tunnel the Bizarro #1 song starts playing, instead of starting at the brake run.

abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_jersey&id=8225813

Police search for baboon on the run in NJ

Eyewitness News

JACKSON (WABC) -- A wayward baboon remained on the loose in southern New Jersey on Friday afternoon, causing some concern among local residents but creating a buzz among numerous online followers who were closely following the animal's travels.

"I saw the red hiney and I knew it was a baboon - instant panic!" said eyewitness Stacey Murphy.

Murphy was in the kitchen making food for the 4th of July when she made her first sighting.

"It just walked here like it was nothing. It was on all fours. If it was standing up, how tall would it have been? My height?" she said.

Murphy then screamed at the top of her lungs - so loud it woke her 12-year-old son up.

So far, there have been five sightings like this over the past two days.

All five sightings were in areas not far from Six Flags Great Adventure's Monkey Jungle in Jackson Township, leading to speculation that the baboon may have escaped from the park, which has 150 baboons. But officials there were still unsure Friday if one of their animals is missing because they are not counted daily, and crews that went looking for the baboon after the initial sightings have found no signs that an escape may have occurred.

"They have been out there looking for clues, like paw prints or tracks, but they didn't find any signs a baboon had been there," said Kristen Siebeneicher, the park's communications director.

She said the team included a veterinarian, a safari manager and security staff.The first baboon sighting came Thursday, when a driver said the animal was near Interstate 195, and later that day a woman said a baboon was sitting on her back porch in Jackson. On Friday morning, two residents in developments not far from the park reported a baboon was in their neighborhoods.

Murphy says that she just wants the baboons to be caught in time for her holiday party.

"They need to because I am having 25 people tonight and 4-0 tomorrow! They need to catch the thing!" she said.

---

Some information from The Associated Press

(Copyright ©2011 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

I will be going to Six Flags Great Adventure for the 1st time next Sunday, July 11th for the first time. I was just wondering how the lines generally are on a Sunday in July, especially for rides like El Toro, Nitro, and Kingda Ka. Im thinking about investing in a Flash Pass but my friends don't want to spend the extra unless we have to. When I went to New England in midweek August last year most lines were at least 60 to 90 minutes. Will we be able to get on all the coasters or ride anything more than once? Thanks.

Nitro cranks through people so no matter the crowds the line is never that long. El toro seems to go through pretty fast too, but the line can get long. It really all depends on the day though. This year Green Lantern has been sucking most of the people in early so if you want shorter lines go to those rides early while everyone else is waiting for Green Lantern

Today I got a survey from gadv asking questions about new rides for 2012 a lot of them where about star flyers and if they should build one 300' tall or one 200' tall with music express and dumbo flat ride. So I would have to say its almost 100% that next year gadv will have a star flyer and if anything else comes I wish it would be somthing more exciting than a music express or dumbo ride. They also asked how much I would be willing to pay to ride a star flyer.

Parking at Magic Mountain is $20. Not sure why you're all surprised, it's the typical Six Flags screw job - much like the $13 for a plastic "souvenir" cup with a sticker on it which costs the park 25-50 cents, and a soda refill that probably costs 10-25 cents.

Parking at Yankee Stadium is $35.00 this year... $20 almost seems like a bargain. lol.

F**K THAT! What am I going to a Metallica concert or something?

I already hate the Yanks and their short right field wall gifting those tools homers they don't deserve, the $35 parking solidifies my feelings on that team.

Okay, I am officially a fan of this guy! He makes the two best points I have seen on this site in a while!

TRIP REPORT

I went to SFGAdv on July 5th, Tuesday. We were planning to be there at 10:00 but we got there at 12:00 because of my stupid GPS. Anyway, we got there and there was nobody there. The crowds were light, there seemed to be a lot more landscaping to the park since I've last been (2 years ago), and there were new shops and attractions. I could careless about Green Lantern because I went on Chang and it was terrible so I didn't want to experience that again. We waited 10 minutes for Kingda Ka, my first time riding. It's now my favorite ride ever! It was so well themed, and such a great ride! Then we went to El Toro and there was not a single wait for the back row! We walked on at 12:00!!! El Toro never dies down! Then we headed on over to Nitro. There was no line until some stupid fat slob decided to throw up in the second row during the ride making the rest of the rows drenched in puke. Luckily I wasn't on that train. We rode the back and is still one of the best Hyper Coasters out there! It does NOT disappoint! Nitro needs painting though. We then rode Batman: OVERHEATED! Batman has the hottest entrance. Luckily I wasn't in the gray room too long. I was probably only in there for three minutes. I go to wait for the front row until a fat slop woman decided to throw up in the third row. GREAT! Six Flags Great Adventure cleaned up Nitro faster and better than Batman. We then walked on Dark Knight to get the credit and Skull Mountain to get it too. Skull Mountain was terrible though. Almost everything was a walk on except Kingda Ka and Green Lantern. We rode Bizarro front row and they had the music running well and all mist and effects working well. We went to Superman around 4:00 and there was NO WAIT! I REPEAT NO WAIT!!! We walked on the back row and waited one ride for the front row!!! We decided to ride Kingda Ka one more time before we left and waited 10 minutes. It was such a great day at the park. Everything was handled almost perfect today. The new Coke store is amazing!!! Any flavor you want with anything. Can't wait to see what they have in store for the future.

My hopes...take down Rolling Thunder and expand the Golden Kingdom. Add a Intamin Shoot the Chutes lengthy, themy, air-conditioned and well themy, a s&s giant swing and a new restaurant. Then add a Zac Spin in Movietown or something.

Edited by chargersmichael

I'm going to Six Flags in the next month and I have a few questions. Is Green Lantern a rough ride or is it smooth? Also how long are the lines usually on El Toro and Nitro? I am planning on riding all of the rides there and I want to leave around 6 o'clock-seven.

-Thanks!

I'm going to Six Flags in the next month and I have a few questions. Is Green Lantern a rough ride or is it smooth? Also how long are the lines usually on El Toro and Nitro? I am planning on riding all of the rides there and I want to leave around 6 o'clock-seven.

-Thanks!

I thought Green Lantern was smooth but painful, if that makes any sense. It doesn't really bang your head around but it exerts a lot of pressure on your legs.

I suggest going to El Toro (and KK) at the beginning of the day because it's basically guaranteed to be a walk-on in the early morning. Later in the day the line can get long and a lot of times the line just moves slowly. I say knock off KK while you're in that area too - you don't want to risk it breaking down later in the day.

Nitro doesn't really get a long line till later in the day, but even with a full queue, the wait is under an hour.

-Thanks!

In my opinion, Green Lantern is a rough ride. Then again, I didn't like it as Chang in Kentucky 6 or 7 years ago.

From 10:30am opening until at least noon, sometimes even later, both El Toro and Nitro have very minimal waits and sometimes they're even walk-ons. The bulk of the morning crowd heads to Green Lantern or Kingda Ka.

El Toro broke down about 2pm today. One train (I think the Stride-Rite gum painted one) got stuck about 80% up the left hill. The riders had to be evacuated down the lift hill. I left soon after, so I don't know if it reopened. There was a Caribbean festival extra charge concert tonight at the Arena. They had a temporary Jamaican/Caribbean food stand set up in the Giant Teepee Memorial Concrete Patch.

And NO!! to removing Rolling Thunder. I would have agreed in the past few years, but now I'm suddenly enjoying it again. Sit in the middle row of a car NOT over the wheels. Much smoother ride. You can often ride Rolling Thunder 3 or 4 times in a row without getting out due to the low demand.

The thing is...I love launch coasters and that was the best launch I ever went on especially in the front and the airtime on the ride. Even though it's short...it's one of the best. I think Cheetah Hunt is a fantastic ride and possibly the best in the park just because of the launches...they are my favorite. If El Toro had a launch up a hill the same height as the drop and the same angle...it would probably be my favorite coaster so...It's just my opinion.

Anyone know if they've been running three trains on GL of late? Just curious, as NTAG has only been running two (stacking seems to be an issue there with three) and I figure the same would hold true with GL.

So far every trip I've taken had three trains on GL (well, there was one with 2 trains but no wait). The whole 6 attendants thing actually works decently (depending on riders more than crew)- the fastest dispatch I've seen has been the tilted-loop before the MCBR, though double-stacking does sometimes occur. A second train always stacks, but the third does help! (unlike Bizarro for most of this season)

I went to SFGAdv for the first time on Friday, July 8th. Although it was raining non-stop after about 2:30, my brother and I still managed to get on everything before that and even rode multiple times on Kingda Ka (2), El Toro (7), and Nitro (5). There is really nothing to do when thunder is present, but we had a good time before that. And I also like that the park at least tried to open some rides when it was only raining (even though you're drenched and the rain hurts, like on El Toro and Nitro). But here's our day:

We went to Green Lantern first. It was a good stand-up, I'm not a huge fan of stand-ups generally, but I did like it. They were running three trains and I only rode once.

We then went to Superman. It was fun for a flyer, much better than Vekoma's versions, but not as good as Tatsu.

Kingda Ka was fast and a little bumpy. Front row is pretty cool, but TTD is better.

El Toro is the best. It rocks in any seat! And my new favorite woodie. Back row on the first drop was incredible, but our whole experience in the front row gave us the best ride. There is so much airtime all over this ride (similar to Bizarro at SFNE) and it was just the coolest thing ever.

Bizarro was better than Scream, but I liked Medusa West more.

Nitro was pretty awesome, airtime was decent, although I enjoy Diamondback more. Also, Nitro in downpour hurts really bad (in an awesome way) in the front row.

Batman wasn't bad, although I like SFMM's more (WCB version rocks!)

SFGAdv is a great park, and it wasn't crowded the day I was there and I had a great time, but if you visit, I hope you don't get caught in a thunderstorm because it really limits what you can do. I basically only had a half-day because of it. The park did their best with what the weather situation was, and I am grateful for that.