TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

2012 - New Flat Ride Package or Medium Thrill Ride - Rumor - (6/14/11) Yesterday we talked about a possible flat ride package in the works for Six Flags Great Adventure, though now I’m told that is just one of a couple of possible plans under consideration. Another plan is to bring in a Sky Screamer style ride (Star Flyer) as we’ve seen already become instant hits at Six Flags St. Louis and Discovery Kingdom this summer. While they could drop this ride in just about anywhere, there is one rumor claiming that they may consider removing the old parachute tower for it as well, but again… nothing is confirmed. Just ideas being thrown around at this point, so stay tuned.

www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_great_adventure.htm

I don't like this rumor one bit

^They repainted both Chiller and Gasm a few seasons before their removal. If they do remove the parachutes that defeats the purpose of getting another ride, especially at this park. We need more flats, not less or the same.

I'm going tomorrow. Anyone been there this week and can attest to the crowd? I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Also, the only ride I really want to see removed is Rolling Thunder. It is honestly one of the most painful rides I've ever been on, even worse than Mean Streak imo

So I went today and figured I'd post a quick report. The park wasn't too crowded, but some of the more popular rides had a little wait. I think there's a pretty big difference across all of the ride crews, with El Toro's and Batman: TR's being the absolute slowest.

The Dark Knight - basically a walk-on all day. The ride ops were working incredibly fast. The first time we went on, they let us re-ride without getting off since the next group hadn't finished the pre-show yet.

Batman: TR - holy hell, the inside of the queue needs some AC. I only went on once and it was about a 10-15 minute wait but the inside of the tunnel area is awful and just reeks of body odor

Nitro - I think Six Flags really needs to fix the estimated wait time signs because every time I've been at the 60 minute mark, it's taken about 15 minutes. Anyways, walk-on at the beginning of the day and 15 minutes for the rest of the day.

Kingda Ka - closed for the entire day for maintenance :/

Bizarro - walk-on from opening till around noon. They managed to stack all 3 trains pretty badly.

El Toro - this was the first time I ever did ET first. Walk-on at the beginning of the day and 45 minutes around mid-afternoon. After 6 though, the line died down a lot; we only waited maybe 20 minutes. But WHY CAN'T THEY OPEN THE TARPS OVER THE QUEUE FOR SHADE? There's pretty much no shade on ETs queue and it's irritating seeing the tarps just rolled up. Also, I sat in the 3rd row and that was by far the best ride I've ever had on it

Superman - this was actually a walk-on all day. I'm guessing Green Lantern had a lot to do with this. This was actually the first time I've ever seen this ride with less than a 2 hour wait. The ride ops were also really good.

Green Lantern - didn't bother to do this since it was so uncomfortable the first time. After Mantis and this, I firmly believe that it's just not natural to ride a roller coaster standing up. Anyway, the queue looked to be pretty much full for the entire day. Only the first switchbacks weren't full.

My biggest complaint with GADV right now is the complete and utter lack of shade on any queues. I mean, they can shade the TVs in Bizarro's queue but not the part of the queue where actual, real human-beings will be standing in the sun?

Batman: TR - holy hell, the inside of the queue needs some AC. I only went on once and it was about a 10-15 minute wait but the inside of the tunnel area is awful and just reeks of body odor

Nitro - I think Six Flags really needs to fix the estimated wait time signs because every time I've been at the 60 minute mark, it's taken about 15 minutes. Anyways, walk-on at the beginning of the day and 15 minutes for the rest of the day.

I gotta agree with the Batman queue's inside the building. I think 15+ years of sweat inside a black building can really turn out to be something bad. The Batman at SF Great America I refuse to ride if it's not a walk on because just waiting in the stair case cluttered with people is just awful!

And about Nitro's queue wait signs... I'm pretty sure Six Flags exaggerates the wait times just a bit to encourage people to get flash passes.

^They are. Except Nitro's are waaay off. If I remember correctly, they give you an estimate of 90 minutes with a full queue. Full switchbacks have never given me more than a 40-minute wait. And the signs as you get closer to the station and the switchbacks are just as bad - it's about a 15-minute wait from the 30 minute sign, I think.

I always assumed they made those signs based on wait times for if they were running two trains. Rather than underestimate, they play it safe. Makes sense to me, because it's a nice surprise when you don't wait as long as they said you would.

When I was there last week even when filled to the sign it always took less time to get on the ride. I think it has to do with the fact that people would rather be told an hour and wait forty five minutes then be told forty five and wait an hour. It's like when you are out late at night and you tell your mom you'll be home in an hour when you will get there in 30 mins without traffic. In case you do hit traffic you dont want to show up after curfew and anger your mom. Always ends up in earlier curfew right?

A few years ago I remember reading that the signs are based on the wait time if 1 train is running which based on the time on the signs seems accurate.

The problem with the signs is that people see them and think the wait is really that long and turn around and exit the line. I remember last year in line for Nitro it was just before the 60 minute sign. 2 people said they didn't want to wait an hour and were about to leave until I told them it should be about 20 minutes and they decided to stay in line. I have also had that happen at other coasters at the rapids.

I think Kingda Ka closed led to lines being a little longer than normal, I got 14 rides in 3 1/4 hours. The Log Flume broke down around 4:30 and they had to evacuate it, it opened up around 25 minutes later without any problems.

Went to the park for a bit following a storm. Rides were down for around 40 minutes after we arrived, but crowds were minimal after. We got rides on Dark Knight, Jolly Roger (rather than wait for rides to open), and then 2 on El Toro, Bizarro, Superman and 3 on Green Lantern, including a reride and breakdown! El Toro was sppeding through following the rain, and threw off 2 cell phones during the second ride (extra bonus of back row is watching the phones catch air before falling to their deaths ^_^ )

Parking is indeed $20 as Screamscape reported. I've included pics of the Big Wheel sign, and a little plus to GL! (some pictures from previous trips too)

nosingles.jpg.3aec7cee1c3a1fa8380fddba691f14c5.jpg

Because the bars are totally insufficient (though the height limit has not been raised)

128757873_parallaxloop.thumb.jpg.1fd6ed3e909b7776c4c702ff3902088c.jpg

Parallax has arrived, in an attempt to explain the yellowness of the loop.

Parallax.thumb.jpg.8f7ad4638b1a74a7e7cced5ae9b2c22b.jpg

PARALLAX! DO NOT EAT THE ... ah, why not, go for it!

squrrel.jpg.64d9ad5d412d6368f478dffc92c94ad5.jpg

Hal Jordan< John Stewart< Squirrel Lantern

caps.jpg.b5f0d50f00c703c575255f58b4633f1b.jpg

GL's line has the same fencing as Superman for reasons I cannot fathom. Superman lost all it's caps before summer ended it's first season (not to mention broken fence sections.) Here are GL's caps being removed it's first week. Just irks me...

minetrain.jpg.338137aa8a5609191bb18d99ba65aaf2.jpg

For Elissa, a better picture (though it does make more sense for spinning coasters)

minetrain2.jpg.e74f047a2b37a1dd8f6d8ab08332be21.jpg

More, but the story is...

polly.thumb.jpg.545ad9a264b9a8aa8e5d677febd53d7b.jpg

Polly Walkaround character! Now if only he'd give me free cheese...

^And the worst thing about the parking passes is you can't use them at any park except the one you bought it at. Which is another area both SeaWorld parks and CF have SF blown out of the water: affordable, all-encompassing season passes that can be used across the chain for both admission and parking. Not to mention the discounts you get with both passes. Sure, SF gives you that little coupon book, but a large chunk of those are a bitch to use because on the "bring a friend free" days, the parks end up slammed and it's a waste of time to even be there. Lo-Q continues to be the only thing that SF has over the rest of the chains.....

^And the worst thing about the parking passes is you can't use them at any park except the one you bought it at. Which is another area both SeaWorld parks and CF have SF blown out of the water: affordable, all-encompassing season passes that can be used across the chain for both admission and parking. Not to mention the discounts you get with both passes. Sure, SF gives you that little coupon book, but a large chunk of those are a bitch to use because on the "bring a friend free" days, the parks end up slammed and it's a waste of time to even be there. Lo-Q continues to be the only thing that SF has over the rest of the chains.....

Yeah and they cut back on the coupon book too. In past years there were 5 bring a friend free tickets, this year there are 3. Getting rid of the Funatics program was bad too since the rewards were nice, especially 20% off next year's season pass.

Edited by YoshiFan

And that just changed this year. It's insane - I think my $45 should cover any run-down piece of pavement I need to stash my car in for a year!