TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

A bit random here, but how much did El Toro cost? I can't find it, sorry!

I i am not 100% sure but i think it was 17 million.

It was 12 million

I doubt El Toro cost only 12 mil that only 2 million more the Apocxernator @SFMM

That the same thing that pisses me off while trying to ride RRv is all the stupid people who hold up the line by bouncing in the seats and making the ups lock and unlock a million times before they can dispatch a train.

Rolling Thunder's Flashpass location has moved, it now merges with the line for the right track just before the staircase into the station.

Did they reconfigure the queue? If the merge point is at the stairs, the Flashpass users could still have a 15 - 20 minute wait with the slow dispatches the ride always has. I guess that also means from now on the right side is going to be the side running on days when they only ride one side.

No they didn't, Flashpass will have a bit of a longer wait in the station than they used to when the entrance was through the exit. For whatever reason most people were ignoring the right side and went directly to the left side when I went. Left had an almost full station and the right side was empty.

I feel like many people across a lot of forums are complaining about Great Adventure this year, has it really been that bad? I'm going on Friday and I'm afraid of what seems like all of the major rides running poorly, random closed paths and buildings and lazy/non-motivated ride ops. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect?

I don't think it is any worse than in past years with some of the same problems as in past seasons like Rolling Thunder's slow dispatches and Superman stacking and Bizarro double stacking. Unfortunately, I don't see Superman or Bizarro having faster dispatches unless they have more than 2 people checking restraints. In the beginning of the season Nitro's 3rd train wasn't ready which wasn't good with spring break crowds but multiple trains have been running on the coasters every time I have gone to the park. In 6 visits to the park this season, I have seen 2 trains on Skull Mountain every time, at least 2 trains on Nitro and Bizarro every time, 2 trains on Superman except for 1 trip when it was a walk on with 1 train running, 2 trains on Runaway Mine Train every time, and 3 trains on Kingda Ka every time.

In some ways, operations are better. Last Thursday the Skyway was running both sides all day even after 5:00 when it had no wait. With RedZone in control, I very rarely saw both sides running at all.

I feel like many people across a lot of forums are complaining about Great Adventure this year, has it really been that bad? I'm going on Friday and I'm afraid of what seems like all of the major rides running poorly, random closed paths and buildings and lazy/non-motivated ride ops. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect?

A Six Flags day!

hahaha i went last year and everything was great rides were all smooth as butter, minimal stacking, no major problems so I'm expecting the same, hopefully it will be remotely close as everything i read seems horrible

I'm sure as the season goes on, operations will get better, just seems like this season it's taking longer for the park to get into the swing of things. The path that connected Kingda Ka to El Toro has made it more of a trek to get to KK and El Toro. I believe this path is closed since the tigers are no longer being displayed in the park. Hopefully operations will get better as the schools let out and the park can get staffing levels up to par.

I'm sure as the season goes on, operations will get better, just seems like this season it's taking longer for the park to get into the swing of things. The path that connected Kingda Ka to El Toro has made it more of a trek to get to KK and El Toro. I believe this path is closed since the tigers are no longer being displayed in the park. Hopefully operations will get better as the schools let out and the park can get staffing levels up to par.

You can cut through Safari Discoveries to get to/from KK and El Toro. The original Temple of the Tiger entrance and the gift shop close to El Toro act as both entrances and exits.

Trip Report!:

So Today was a very up and down day at the park. All in all it ended up great. We got to the park just after opening and NONE of the roller coasters were open. It took them until 11:00, an hour after opening to open Green Lantern, Superman, El Toro, Bizarro and Kingda Ka. Nitro and Batman and the other rides on that side of the park may have been open but I wanted to make sure I got on Green Lantern minimal wait. So the finally opened the ride and I must say it is now my third favorite ride at the park. I felt like my head was bouncing off the restraints a lot though is this normal for a stand up roller coaster? I've never been on one before today. Anyway I noticed a construction bucket and scrap chain link fence just left right next to the que and it wasn't theming. Lazy landscaping and disposal mistakes would be a common occurance throughout the day. So after that, we went over to El Toro with a minimum wait. The park was fairly empty and at the beginning of the day EVERYONE was over at Green Lantern and Superman. El Toro was running fine no rattle whatsoever anywhere. It was definitely a running more like a wood coaster than opening year but by no means rough. Still the best ride in the park and the last row IMO is that much better. Went on Bizarro and had to say I was very VERY disappointed. The ride was running rough, the operators were slow and one of the girls was standing against a wall with her arms crossed. Also the audio was out on every car and the auger was down and the sign at the entrance is still missing the quote from the back. Until today I didn't appreciate the audio I miss it now. If the audio was struggling last year why didn't they work on it in the offseason? Same with the auger which is sitting on the ground next to the ride. After this though the day really turned around. Wasnt feeling too great after two in a row on Bizarro so we got food and water. Then hit the bathroom which was SPOTLESS. As soon as I was done a janitor went in and cleaned the stall it was CRAZY and then the same thing happened again a few hours later. We hit Nitro (running great, needs paint though) Batman (packs an amazing punch for a coaster as old as me!) and the Dark Knight. At Batman I noticed a lot of peeling paint (offseason maintenance seemed like it never happened at the park to be honest) and a lot of the theming looking run down. Ride needs about 6 hours of work and it would be back to it's old self, don't understand why that isn't possible. A lot of weeds. And right behind the fan, employees dumped garbage all on the floor and it's clearly visible. The dark knight I feel like has great theming, borderline Disney quality and after my first ride I thought if only the ride wasn't a wild mouse. It's not nearly as bad as people say it is though. Then the most amazing thing happened, Superman was not I repeat was not stacking AT ALL. I don't know how they were able to pull it off but the ride ops were cranking. I made sure to compliment the guy who was working hard and motivating everyone else. It was incredible. Afterwards we waited for Green Lantern and were cut in line 3 times. Then the ride went down and everyone who cut us left the line. Right after they left the ride started again (Karma's a B****). It was down for about 15 minutes and that was the only issue all day. I saw a Ka rollback and Rolling Thunder's left side got stuck 3 times in 20 minutes before they decided to shut it down. In the end I had a great day at the park but for some reason this year I noticed more than my last few visits that this park is LACKING big time. There is not one ride in the park for a 17 year old kid to go on and just chill besides the ferris wheel or log flume. Everything is about adrenaline inducing, blood pumping scream machines and I have a massive headache as I write this from not being able to pace myself. I think Busch Gardens has it right 5 or 6 coasters and then other stuff to do (although I like that they have more than 6 coasters the other stuff needs work). Great adventure is a great park with a lot of potential but the grandstand on the lake sits dormant and when I talked about the old boat shows my friends (who aren't really enthusiasts) they said they would love to check that out. North Star is empty too and the Batman stunt arena is also empty. All 3 should have shows and 2 should be something that a kid my age could enjoy. Like the one in Disney with the cars and explosions and stunt drivers (I can't remember the name). Not exactly the same but something that is cool for kids my age, the chief market they advertise to. I could say many other things, but as long as they fill in underneath the coasters and work on their landscaping(Batman,Green Lantern) and theming issues(Batman,Bizarro), this could be an absolutely great park. I know it's long winded but I hope you liked my report. I had an amazingly fun day and did not get sunburned

I think we overlooked one little problem... S&S DOESN'T MAKE SKY SWATS ANYMORE!!!

With that said, the best thing you could get from S&S is the screamin swing that they still make, or an air launched coaster like powder keg. Maybe the possibility of the low capacity el loco, or the incredible amount of downtime of the 4D(el locos are weird and from what I've heard, the 4D gives an interesting ride.)

^^I'm sure if someone really wanted a Sky Swat for their park and was willing to pay for it, S&S would still produce it for them.

I just don't think anyone really wants a Sky Swat for their park. The ride really doesn't do much besides make you feel like you've made a mistake, you are upside down on a mistake and that you are stapled into a seat while upside down on a mistake. That's about all the value I've ever found in this ride!

I really think they need to redo like all of the areas and repaint, new concrete, landscaping, and remove rides that nobody rides. Remove Rolling Thunder and make a new big pathway from El Toro to the Golden Kingdom and expand it and add like a huge S&S Swing. Bigger than Cedar Point's. They really should add trees and theming to the park. They need to reliven the park and keep it. No slacking! Also, actually train your employees good.

Some flats would be a welcomed addition to their ride lineup for sure! We had a blast there last week, but aside from tons of coasters and many kids areas, their flat ride selection was rather weak. I mean, removing the swings for a trampoline? Seriously??

Also, I have to add that their Safari Park was a huge surprise hit for us during our trip! It was amazing how long it was and just how many animals we saw. Puts any zoo to shame, quite honestly!

The Flying Wave was having a lot of problems since it was so old. There was no excuse to not replace it with a new swing ride though especially since they aren't that expensive compared to a major flat or a coaster. Hopefully we get a new swing ride next year along with some other rides. If Red Zone was in control, who knows what other flats they would have removed since they removed and closed so many rides in such a short amount of time and the only rides they added were The Dark Knight and a 3rd plane ride (4th if you count the Royal Elephants which is basically the same ride)