TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

At opening, go to Green Lantern then stop at Superman, go to Kingda Ka and then El Toro. Those are going to be the 4 rides with the worst lines. After that, I would go to Bizarro, go on the Log Flume if you want (I know it isn't a coaster but it can get a very long line later in the day) and take the Skyway over to the other side of the park and ride Batman and Nitro. That would take care of all the major coasters.

I visited the park for the first time this season on Wenesday, it was fairly crowded with a lot of School trips. We hit Green Lantern first, it had about an hour wait. First off they really need some more cover from the sun in that line cause your really in the parking lot an it can be brutal. Overall I thought the ride was just ok, I still give Bizzaro the nod over it. As for El Toro, its been running better then ever, yes it is a bit rough in the back but im not complaining. I had a overall decent day an got on every major coaster once. The operations were sketchy though with a bunch of breakdowns. As a season pass holder I'll see things improve over the course of the season.

Or just go to the flash pass (that is what it's called this week right?) booth first. Then scroll down to "El Toro" a bunch of times and keep reserving it.

This. Get the gold flash pass, its a little pricey, but this thing SAVED MY A$$ at Great Adventure. Most of the coasters where 2 hour waits when I went but I got all the credits and a ton of El Toro rerides! For about an hour or so all I did was reserve, scan, reserve, wait a few minutes to get on, ride, then get back in line! BE SURE TO REVERSE AGAIN ONCE YOU GET IT SCANNED SO YOU CAN GET RIGHT BACK IN LINE ONCE YOUR OFF THE RIDE. And when I went Kingda Ka kept breaking down every 20 minutes or so, but the flash pass got us on. It may see like a lot when you're handing over the money for the flash pass, but its MORE THAN WORTH IT at the end of the day when you've done an El Toro marrathon.

Flashpass merges at the station for Nitro, Bizarro, El Toro, Batman, Superman, Kingda Ka and I think Green Lantern so you can pick your row. Dark Knight merges at the pre show, Skull Moutain uses car 5, Rolling Thunder also uses the middle rows and Runaway Mine Train has 1 row in the middle reserved for Flashpass.

^^^The pathway in the Golden Kingdom is closed

Question, Is the pathway from Kingda Ka to El Toro blocked off now?

Yes, but you can walk briskly through the Safari Discoveries exhibit to save a little walking time to go from KK to ET, but not in the reverse order.

Yes, but you can walk briskly through the Safari Discoveries exhibit to save a little walking time to go from KK to ET, but not in the reverse order.

When I was there last week, the people working in the exhibit let us walk through in reverse from ET to KK. We didn't even know you couldn't go the other way haha

Flashpass merges at the station for Nitro, Bizarro, El Toro, Batman, Superman, Kingda Ka and I think Green Lantern so you can pick your row. Dark Knight merges at the pre show, Skull Moutain uses car 5, Rolling Thunder also uses the middle rows and Runaway Mine Train has 1 row in the middle reserved for Flashpass.

Rolling Thunder's Flashpass location has moved, it now merges with the line for the right track just before the staircase into the station.

Rolling Thunder's Flashpass location has moved, it now merges with the line for the right track just before the staircase into the station.

Does Rolling Thunder really even need Flaspass services? There aren't exactly crowds itching to ride it these days.

Does Rolling Thunder really even need Flaspass services? There aren't exactly crowds itching to ride it these days.

On extremely busy days it does?

Pretty huge crowds today and slow operations.

Stacking two trains on Nitro. Lots of large people slowing down operations of El Toro, ride ops were running down the platform but it seemed like at least 2-3 people on each train needed a lot of extra help to get the restraints locked or finally give up and leave the station.

Green Lanterm line at 12:15 was full capacity. At 12:30 when I left all ticket booths were open and 10 people deep waiting to buy tickets. Few buses in the lot but cars filled at 60-70 percent of the lot.

In 1 hour 45 minutes I got 5 rides on El Toro and one on Nitro. Usually on Sundays in April and May I can get 10 El Toros and 5 Nitros in two hours to start the day.

I had always thought that the actual holiday of a holiday weekend like Labor Day and Memorial Day were empty, but I found out that wasn't the case when I went to the park on Labor Day 2009. I only got 6 rides in around 3 1/2 hours (in the middle of the day). It sounds like today was even more crowded.

Hopefully with daily operations now, crowds will still be low during the week for the next few weeks like in past years. After the crowds last week, I'm not so sure.

Did they reconfigure the queue? If the merge point is at the stairs, the Flashpass users could still have a 15 - 20 minute wait with the slow dispatches the ride always has. I guess that also means from now on the right side is going to be the side running on days when they only ride one side.

I was there today as well. The day started off poorly with Kingda Ka and Green Lantern not opening with the park. As the day went on, Kingda Ka was constantly down (at least three times) and crowds continued to grow. Started off with El Toro, Bizarro, and Nitro, not having to wait for any. Next was Kingda Ka with a half hour wait. The new station set up seemed to be working, as trains were constantly launching, when it was open. Afterwards, went to Green Lantern and waited 1 hr 45 minutes. The only issue I have with Green Lantern's queue is that the section by the station is not shaded at all and got to be pretty scorching today. They were constantly stacking the three trains despite having 6 attendants, mainly due to guests bouncing in the seats and having to re-lock the cars multiple times. Green Lantern seemed to have a full queue all day, with other rides ranging from one hour (Kingda Ka, El Toro) to walk-ons (Superman). Overall it seemed to be an average day at Great Adventure.

^That was my problem with the Green Lantern queue as well. They have those decorative awnings that cover roughly 1/500000th of the queue

I'm planning to go back to Gadv sometime the week of June 13th. Any ideas as to if it will be crowded or not? I thought a wednesday in May would be empty but apparently not. I went last year around the 15th of June and the park was virtually empty, so hopefully it will be like that again

^Rolling Thunder's problems cannot be solved by putting new trains on it. If you look at the track while riding, you can see sections that are crazy warped. It needs many things, with new trains being last.

I went to the park last wednesday, and was surprised at the crowds. I went to GL first, and it broke down quite a few times. I have two problems with GL, and they both are with the queue set up and not the ride itself.

1) The reset horn is directly next to the line under the brake run. During the breakdowns, the horn blew in our ears twice, and it effin' hurt.

2) Lack of shade near the parking lot. Come on, seriously? And what happened to the shade that used to be over toro's line? please SFGADV, more shade!

I was surprised at how efficient Ka's new loading system worked. The line was constantly moving. However, the ride feels like it is going to tear itself apart. Same with toro. I rode in the stride train, and it felt like there was a wobbly wheel (like on a shopping cart) under my seet. not rough, just really, really strange feeling.

Bizzaro was also riding rough that day. I could tell going up the lift that it was going to be pretty rough as i felt like there was a flat spot on the wheels. Got knocked in the head a few times, but still fun, just not up to par with how it usually rides.

I still believe that Runaway Mine Train in the back and front seats is fantastic. That one hill before the like basically forces me to almost stand up.