TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that during the day employees get distracted and bored with their jobs and just go through the motions. Checking to make sure everything is in proper order before a ride dispatches is one of the most important things you can do to maintain a good safety record. Making them put their hands up over their eyes adds a physical aspect to checking the area that will make them actually look around to see if anything is wrong.

All it does, IMO, is make people take their job less serious. I feel the same way with the Cedar Fair "check" policy.

If this were the case, why would management insist on having them do it? It may look goofy, but that policy is definitely in place for a reason. How do you know people don't take their job seriously?

You have no clue

Towards the end of last year SFOT was doing stuff like "Titan Scan", apparently that didn't go over well as they are back to "Visual Scan" guess someone got hurt and now they are required to say it so as to remind them to do it.

All it does, IMO, is make people take their job less serious. I feel the same way with the Cedar Fair "check" policy.

If this were the case, why would management insist on having them do it? It may look goofy, but that policy is definitely in place for a reason. How do you know people don't take their job seriously?

You have no clue

Watch them. The look on many of their faces tells me they are not taking it seriously. I have a feeling this scan was put in after the Batman incident at SFOG, and the visual scan would NOT have prevented that seeing as the ride has an enclosed station.

This is literally my favorite part of visiting SFGAd anymore (yes, even more than El Toro). I shot the clips today, paiging_jen was generous enough to do the editing.

I'm suprised no one's mentioned or filmed Superman's visual scan. Complete with kneeling as the train dispatches

So how many parks are now doing this and what put this policy in place!??!

I have to say watching them do it on the kiddie rides just made me laugh soooo hard at SFoT!!!

Did any of them count at SFGAd? My favorite was this op at SFoT who went "Visual Scan 5,4,3,2,1", he then went on to yell at some kids on the mic even using the term 'homo'...oh Texas!

I heard them count at least once or twice yesterday, but that was it. For the most part, it was just as you saw in the video. They also did it at Skull Mountain, which made me laugh pretty hard, as well.

At SFA, they say, "Take five!" and turn from side to side with their thumbs out rather than combing the horizon like Christopher Columbus.

It's all funny until there is a lawsuit. If ride ops follow the procedure, no matter how silly it looks, it could help to catch a patron/worker wandering in an improper area. I quite prefer the visual scan versus all SF parks deciding to rise prices $5 per person to cover additional insurance coverage.

It sounds stupid that you have to remind operating room workers to sanitize themselves every time they enter the operating room. You would think it sound be second nature. But since hospitals started posting procedure checklists and signs outside ORs, infections are down significantly.

It's all funny until there is a lawsuit. If ride ops follow the procedure, no matter how silly it looks, it could help to catch a patron/worker wandering in an improper area. I quite prefer the visual scan versus all SF parks deciding to rise prices $5 per person to cover additional insurance coverage.

Agreed. It's always "funny," "stupid," "silly," "ridiculous," etc. until someone gets hurt. In the world of safety, there will always be the mumbles, grumbles, and/or laughs about an implemented policy, especially if no one has been hurt, but you never know when the next idiot willing to risk their life for a hat or phone is going to come along. I'm glad to see Six Flags taking a proactive safety approach, instead of reactive.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

The problem is the hand on your forehead actually reduces the visual scans effectiveness (it reduces the field of view and blocks anything above the employees head. Not to mention its so ridiculous that no one really does it correctly or take it seriously.

^It's just sad/funny to me that the stupidity of humanity has led to policies like that. And it still looks hilarious.

It's even more sad/funny that it's not necessary to create silly procedures like this in Europe....

^By "humanity," I think he just means "Americans." I was just telling someone yesterday about how Europe has self-operated rides and crazy spinning wheels and whatnot, and is there a problem? Nope.

On-topic, I can't wait to ride this! I might be one of the few, but I love the big B&M stand-ups, and this is the last of the three for me!

The problem is the hand on your forehead actually reduces the visual scans effectiveness (it reduces the field of view and blocks anything above the employees head. Not to mention its so ridiculous that no one really does it correctly or take it seriously.

Isn't the purpose of the procedure to scan the front, side and back of the car for obstructions. Putting your hand above your eyes narrows your field of vision to the necessary areas to be scanned. I don't think it is necessary to look above for flying monkeys or rappeling Al Qaida terrorists.

Edited by larrygator

Isn't the purpose of the procedure to scan the front, side and back of the car for obstructions. Putting your hand above your eyes narrows your field of vision to the necessary areas to be scanned. I don't think it is necessary to look above for flying monkeys or rappeling Al Qaida terrorists.

I don't know Larry, the monkey area used to be dangerously close to Medusa! I would be on the look out for them for sure!

The whole visual scan started as a joke when two supervisors where working a ride early last year. The park started to just say visual scan prior to starting a ride early last year, But when the two supervisors where just joking around and started the hand over the eyes thing the manager of rides saw this they made it mandatory. They think that it shows the guest that they are actually looking instead of just saying it. i think it is just a way to suck up to corporate to say they are better, or just to be silly.

pict0100_1.jpg

Anyone find it kind of oddly comforting that Six Flags seem to have gone back to their early 2000s way of theming....Generic structures with Super Hero logos stuck on.

Anyone find it kind of oddly comforting that Six Flags seem to have gone back to their early 2000s way of theming....Generic structures with Super Hero logos stuck on.

After hearing the park president of SFOT speak to us about how the new CEO came in and asked "Why are we spending money for all these licenses?" which kind of translates to me "Why are we spending money on theming?" this doesn't surprise me at all. They kept the DC Comics and Looney Tunes licenses, because they are the ones that make the most sense, but it really does seem like they scaled back a lot of theming even around those rides.

Superman at SFMM had very little redux to the theming of that ride, Green Lantern doesn't appear to be much more, and this ride has a few random signs and the jet fighter placed. Sure it's more than just a "parking lot coaster", but not by much...

If you at look at the effort that went into the Dark Knights, the Bizarro's, X2, Terminator, etc, there was at least an attempt. Not all of it may have been very good, but you can see some money was spent and they tried.

But really, at the end of the day, if you're going to spend money, and it's going to be lame, or you don't spend money, and it's about equal, I can see why the CEO is going minimalistic on theme.

Leave the theming to the experts of Disney, Universal, and Busch....

^I agree. I go to Six Flags for the roller coasters, and I'm not expecting the storylines and the themes of the big-name Orlando parks. These 'simple structures with logos' are all they really need. I much prefer this to nothing, no matter how minimalistic it is compared to some other places.