TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

In GL mythology, yellow also represents fear. So I guess thats why the tagline for the coaster is "Stand up to your fear" and its plastered all over the place.

I think I read somewhere that with the corkscrew you were supposed to ride through/over a Parallax. Maybe plans changed and they made the loop yellow since its the biggest inversion, and what most people are scared of?

For some reason I REALLY like the way this coaster looks. It just "fits in" that plot of land well and the theming (IMO) is nice looking, especially for Six Flags. For some reason the "parking lot" look is not bugging me at all like other parking lot coasters (like Scream! @ SFMM). So in other words, I feel like SFGAdv has a winner on their hands, despite having to wait on the idiots trying to figure out how to strap in...

I think they did a really good job with the ride, but I just don't get the yellow in the loop. Yes, it's for the theme, to go with Parallax, but there really isn't anything around the loop itself to distinguish it. I really think it just looks out of place on the ride. (At least on Dominator, the yellow loop isn't a radically different color than the rest of the orange track.) Maybe I'm just being picky, but they should've at least made it more clear why one part of the ride is yellow, and maybe incorporated some theming or something to go with it.

Regardless, it's still a great looking ride. Always nice to see good rides get a new life at another park.

^ Maybe there is some unwritten voodoo that says all relocated B&Ms east of the Mississippi have to have yellow painted loops otherwise the beast will come alive and kill all first born children?

Thanks for the report Larry. I loved this as Chang, so I'm looking forward to riding it in it's new incarnation. Theming reminds me of Superman's - with the story boards. I'm liking it!!

^ Maybe there is some unwritten voodoo that says all relocated B&Ms east of the Mississippi have to have yellow painted loops otherwise the beast will come alive and kill all first born children?

Hmm--there may be something in that. Carowinds did do the same thing to the Carolina Cyclone. The Rough Beast is slouching toward Great Adventure, waiting to be born!

Here's another nerdy Green Lantern fact: The original Green Lantern's power ring (from the 1940s) wouldn't work on anything made of wood. So, if a villain had wood, Green Lantern was screwed.

Someone needs to send Led Zep west of it to see what happens.

They have a crap load of photos from media day at Great Adventure History.

Personally I think it looks great. I admit that grass would have been nice, but at least it's not like Scream! at SFMM so I can't complain. I'm not the biggest fan of Stand Up coasters but I loved Riddlers Revenge and everyone says that this is the next best stand up so I'm actually really excited to ride it.

We also have coverage of the opening at Great Adventure Online! A lot of pictures were also posted to our Facebook page as well.

Most of the staff that went agrees though, it was hell on their legs, but the ride was really good and forceful. There's still some work left to be done around the ride, but for the most part it came together well, it's a good replacement for Scream Machine.

I asked him if the accident at Sea World also influenced his decision. He was very frank and said certainly. No matter how well trained a tiger is, a tiger is still a dangerous animal that never loses its instincts. To him it was not a matter of "if" a tiger would attack a trainer, it was a matter of "when", and he didn't want a video of an animal attack at his park to end up on YouTube. He sounded very concered about the welfare of both his trainers and the animals. All the tigers are doing well in the safari and he feels it is better than having them in the park.

Well I'll be damned. I thought common sense was just a myth. Nice to see it does prevail every now and then!

Great Report, thanks for the pics!

I had a question about the ride, The carousel turn that goes through the dive loop used to have a small gap in the right guide rail when it was at SFKK, I was wondering if you noticed any major bump on the right side of the train during that section? I hope they corrected that during reconstruction.

I like the theming, especially the plane! And the yellow loop doesn't look as bad up close. I don't think it's a terrible color; it just detracts a bit from the prettiness of the green. Looking forward to riding this quality stand-up!

I actually like the yellow loop but it appears the paint is already flaking. I also noticed some yellow showing through on the corkscrews. Hopefully they'll take care of that soon.

Rode it today, I had forgotten what kind of positive g's this thing has. Very solid ride, although the B&M rattle has already taken over this ride in several places. I'd hate to think what it's going to feel like in a few years. However, I had fun not waiting in any sort of line for it today, can't count on that in August.

So how many parks are now doing this and what put this policy in place!??!

I have to say watching them do it on the kiddie rides just made me laugh soooo hard at SFoT!!!

Did any of them count at SFGAd? My favorite was this op at SFoT who went "Visual Scan 5,4,3,2,1", he then went on to yell at some kids on the mic even using the term 'homo'...oh Texas!

^Watching the visual scan on the kiddie rides is priceless! Steve and I couldn't stop laughing at GAdv last year when we rode Road Runner Railway in the rain, alone....and the poor ride op, who was just sitting there by himself had to do the visual scan when it was obvious no one else was around. It was sad and hilarious!