TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

TPR's Green Lantern Media Day Coverage

Hey everyone, just posted my coverage from today's media day. Have a look!

As a side note, John Fitzgerald graciously granted me a quick interview. Since he was probably sick of talking about Green Lantern I queried him about Safari Discoveries and Temple of the Tiger. To paraphrase his answers:

Temple of the Tiger was still bringing in the crowds, but two factors lead to the transformation of the area.

Since the park could have only two shows per day, John felt the land could be better utilized on a continual basis.

I asked him if the accident at Sea World also influenced his decision. He was very frank and said certainly. No matter how well trained a tiger is, a tiger is still a dangerous animal that never loses its instincts. To him it was not a matter of "if" a tiger would attack a trainer, it was a matter of "when", and he didn't want a video of an animal attack at his park to end up on YouTube. He sounded very concered about the welfare of both his trainers and the animals. All the tigers are doing well in the safari and he feels it is better than having them in the park.

To date attendance at Safari Discoveries is 20% higher than anticipated or has 20% more through put than the Tiger show. Sorry, I recorded underneath Green Lantern and lost audio when the train roared by.

Lastly, I asked about the baby bear cubs (Scarlet and Spot) in the new area. John stated that the cubs had to be rescued this winter. Since snowfall was so heavy this winter, the den where the mother hibernated starting flooding up with water. Vet staff were very concerned the cubs would drown if not relocated. A tough decision had to be made to move the cubs.

Edited by larrygator

^When I spoke with John Fitzgerald (Park President) after riding I told him they did a great thing replacing GASM with my second favorite stand-up coaster.

For any season pass holders if you want to ride this season without massive lines, get there during season passholder previews. It doesn't matter how good the coaster is, and I know stand-ups have their haters, at SFGAdv. Slow dispatches, fueled by guests not listening, and the fact that patrons at SFGAdv wait for any new coaster will result in 90 minute lines all summer.

For any season pass holders if you want to ride this season without massive lines, get there during season passholder previews. It doesn't matter how good the coaster is, and I know stand-ups have their haters, at SFGAdv. Slow dispatches, fueled by guests not listening, and the fact that patrons at SFGAdv wait for any new coaster will result in 90 minute lines all summer.

I just hope the fact that my SF season pass is for SFA doesn't matter. I would think a season pass is a season pass, but you never know with those wacky SF people.

Could you tell which train was the Riddler's Revenge Train? Or did they do a good job blending them altogether?

Hell no, I couldn't tell. I'm not good with details. The two on the track looked the same to me. I didn't realize further investigative work was necessary on my side.

Edited by larrygator

Looks like SFGADv got the better replacement for their Arrow looper than SFGAm.

Agreed. I couldn't imagine why anyone wouldn't prefer having a quality B&M stand up, which was made more in the "old school" B&M days.

This may just my stupidity but wasn't one of the corkscrews yellow? In all the photos they appeared green?

Note: I know that GL has two corkscrews but I'm pretty sure i saw pictures/POV of both.

Looks like a really fun coaster. I've heard it's the smoothest of the Stand-Up coasters (Next to Riddler's), but I haven't ridden any Stand-Ups, however, so I can't compare it to anything.

Not to mention, based on how the coaster's station is layed out (Isn't it the same as GASM's station?), I wasn't actually expecting that much theming on the ride. The theming is looking awesome! I was definately impressed with all of the Comic Storyboards in the path to the station. The Yellow Loop was a nice touch, as well as Hal Jordan's plane.

^Actually... Green Lantern's loop was indeed painted green for a while. One of the corkscrews would have been yellow, and not the loop, but then they changed it for some odd reason and made the biggest inversion the yellow one. Compare for yourself:

Dominator's loop, on the other hand, has always been yellow.

^Actually... Green Lantern's loop was indeed painted green for a while. One of the corkscrews would have been yellow, and not the loop, but then they changed it for some odd reason and made the biggest inversion the yellow one.

Interesting. Does anyone know why they changed it, or if they plan to use the yellow loop for some sort of theming-related purpose?

Wow, thought Chang (yes, I still call it that and refuse to call it Green Lantern, just look at my username to see why, if you don't, look for the WOODIE called Thunder Run) would have had a bit of trouble fitting in the spot GASM used to be before opening at SFGAdv, heck I thought it would have been built in a different location, but seems to have not! I really need to plan a trip to Great Adventure now just for it! (And El Toro!)

And I really don't get the sudden yellow loop, but I like it anyways, in a odd way. But otherwise, it sorta sticks out like a sore thumb.

Oh and I think this is the second time its been built over where a parking lot used to be. (At Kentucky Kingdom it was built over the former seperate Hurricane Bay entrance at the back of the park.)

^Judging from Larry's photos apparently there's some sort of yellow villain...I guess that's the theming?

Green Lantern's power can not work on anything colored yellow.

I was really hoping there would be some elaboration on the reason for the yellow loop in the storyboards, but that is something that was lacking. So the yellow loop is part of the theming, but sadly left unexplained.