TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Adventureland (Iowa) Discussion Thread

That would be great! Yeah, I would hate to see Dragon go and same with the log ride.

I say fix up the Dragon, build a state of the art new log ride (because the current one is really old) and in 2 or 4 years put in a new steel coaster. *Dreaming out loud*

Hey thrillrider. When you went did you ride the log flume? Did it feel rough or shaky?

It does not look as tall as it is in the pictures.

Yeah that photo kinda does make it look taller.

^^^ I sent a message to an admin and he said that with the Storm Chaser and the hope of a new coaster the light is shinning bright for Adventureland to have its own discussion page. I think we will see one in the future, but for now we should show the mods that the community wants one by keeping this page (or other Adventureland pages) active. You are right after all ALOT of people are just finding out about this park. For people who want to learn more about this park thrillrider went on a trip report not that long ago www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68454

I already posted these photos on that thread but I like them so much that I wanted to share them here also. Here are some stunning views of Storm Chaser from the park's Facebook page.

10450127_663143240435731_684868747726947676_o.thumb.jpg.00da7816eedd06ccfa04da7e2268013c.jpg

10489964_663143293769059_3433866790769289726_n.jpg.96ea052fb2b0f3cdbbf365fda2583f2c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Great article about the history and the future of the park from the Des Moines Register.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/local/altoona/2014/08/19/adventureland-40th-anniversary/14292691/?sf30057927=%5B%271%27%5D

I esspeically like the last of it. Okay so maybe the rumors of a 2015 coaster are a bust, but 2016 is looking good for something.

"Our last couple of years have been our best," Vincent said. "We're sitting on a little over 600,000 visitors annually at this point."

And they have no plans to slow down.

Each year family members attend an international parks show in Orlando where vendors show off the latest and greatest in rides, games and food.

"We're always looking ahead," Vincent said. "The process has already started for scouting things and trying to find new things for 2016."

• 6 months later...

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I read a rumor on Screamscape that 2015 could be the last year for Adventureland's Log Flume, and that a family coaster might be replacing it in 2016. I personally think they should get a new thrilling coaster since it has been a very long time since the last one, but I guess a family coaster is better than nothing.

"What line"

Before I scrolled down, I said the same thing to myself, lol.

Great report, by the way, I was there waaay back in the mid

1970's and it was a really nice park back then. And I too,

am glad to see the Main Street section back and looking great.

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I read a rumor on Screamscape that 2015 could be the last year for Adventureland's Log Flume, and that a family coaster might be replacing it in 2016. I personally think they should get a new thrilling coaster since it has been a very long time since the last one, but I guess a family coaster is better than nothing.

Yup, that rumor is also referenced here, a few posts up.

It's tough to see log flumes go. I am fond of them, and they aren't going to build them the way they used to ever again. There's just a certain charm to them... I think it's the openness, and the fact that it's such an early concept of a ride and is closely based on something that actually existed.

A new coaster will do more favors for the park though, I'm sure. A junior invert would be good.

While we're all taking about a new coaster, look at what appeared on Screamscape this morning.

2016 - Family Coaster - Rumor - (3/3/15) According to a Screamscape reader, this may be the last season for the log flume at Adventureland (Iowa). Rumor has it, the flume will be replaced by something new by next year, possibly a new family coaster project.

A spinning coaster or a family shuttle coaster would be great.

I consider log flumes as one of those essential theme park rides and they should just get Hopkins to come in to do a full refurb like what Kings Island did with the old Kings Mills Flume that eventually became Wild Thornberry's/Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing major, but Adventureland added two "Star Wars Battle Pods" to their arcade this year. Heard these are really fun. Nice to have little additions between years with big projects. Has anyone ever experienced one of these?

Pictures from the fb page. Video from IGN.

10941879_811854585564595_4205901041198708715_n.thumb.jpg.2ac2487f443726bcc733515461d1b028.jpg

Edited by AdventureJack

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Adventureland has announced the closure of the Log Ride and the opening of a new coaster called Monster in 2016!

From the park's Facebook page:

What’s new Wednesday! Big Announcement time!

Well Fans, you’ve heard about what we’ve done this winter and spring at the park to make our general appearance better, our food stands and admissions gate more efficient and our lodging more accommodating and interactive. It is our hope that whether it’s our hand breaded, golden fried chicken, our new 18 hole miniature golf course coming at the Inn, or something as basic as the rebuilt Dragon Island bridge, we at the Adventureland Resort continue to surpass your expectations of customer service and allow for the creation of family memories for years to come. Now, into the second generation of family operating the resort, we want our fans to know that the plaque with Ralph Waldo Emerson’s quote which has hung in our office for so long is not looked at so much as an ideal in hopes of being achieved someday, but an obligation that frames all of our decisions – “Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.”

It is with that enthusiasm that we have the most significant announcement to make since the construction of Adventure Bay. But first, we have some news that we know will make many very sad. Labor Day weekend, 2015 will mark the last operating days for the beloved Log Ride. The Log Ride has been a park staple for decades – tens of thousands of photos, screams and splashdowns have been had on this ride, but all great things must eventually come to an end. We know that this was a fan (and personal!) favorite, but we want it to go out on it’s own terms. We encourage all of our fans to take advantage of this advance knowledge and get in your last ride. The Log Ride is over 40 years old, and while still structurally sound, technology for rides has advanced by leaps and bounds in that time period. It is requiring an enormous amount of upkeep and maintenance that isn’t feasible long term. We promise to provide our Fans with a suitable replacement, sooner rather than later.

So, like the mythological phoenix, from the Log Ride’s ashes, Adventureland is proud to announce the construction of “The Monster”, our new steel roller coaster opening in June of 2016!! What’s The Monster?

See for yourself:

With a 2500 foot steel track, 133 foot vertical lift hill, 5 inversions, a 101 degree first drop (that is steeper than anywhere in Iowa or our surrounding states) and 10 “airtime” moments - The Monster is sure to give you a thrilling scare! It will cross our existing Sky Ride 8 times and boasts the first negative-G stall loop in the western hemisphere!

We’ve been giving away a pair of tickets for the last three “What’s new Wednesdays”, but this time, we’ve got something a little more spectacular to offer. “Share” this post by Friday, July 10th at noon central time and you will be entered to win not only four tickets the last day the Log Ride will operate AND the last ride on the Log Ride (maximum four people), but you will also receive two Season Passes for the 2016 season and…. Wait for it…. 2 seats on the official public inaugural ride on The Monster along with some new Monster gear! We’d like to note that with such an offer, there are some restrictions that apply which will be provided to the winner. If those restrictions limit out the original winner, a replacement will be chosen until a qualified winner is chosen.

Thank you for being a Fan of Adventureland. Everyone in the Adventureland Family strives each and every day to provide the cleanest, safest and friendliest atmosphere possible for all of our guests. We hope to continue to be the foremost family entertainment facility in Iowa for many more decades to come and we thank you for your continued support! Don’t forget - you have to SHARE this post on Facebook by noon on Friday July 10th to be eligible to win!

I was planning on taking a trip down there this summer since I've never been to Adventureland despite living only a few hours away, but I think I'll postpone until next year because this looks like a very fun coaster.

Edited by VF15

VERY cool, and a truly fulfilling layout! Sad to see the demise of yet another classic log flume, but it doesn't look like this was one of the better ones so all-in-all it's a great step up for this park. It sounds like another water ride will follow as well!

I was thinking about doing a "north" trip with this park, SFGAm, Valleyfair, etc. and this definitely pushes me in that direction!

Looks like this is going to be a nice (and needed) addition to the park. Too bad they are taking out the Log Flume but that seems to the trend once they hit 20 plus years old. Finally gives me a reason to go back to Adventureland which is great.