TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Adventureland (Iowa) Discussion Thread

I somehow completely missed that this was going to be a more compact model of the Free Spin. I like the look, and I agree that it looks like the more noticeable drops, dips, and tighter curves may mean for a more intense experience than some of the other models.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Adventureland posted a photo of construction on Dragon Slayer. It looks like this Free Spin will have a custom layout! Not super different, but definitely noticeable.

Track work is completed:  Source: Reddit    Looks interesting, definitely a compact smaller layout.  Will be interesting to see if more smaller parks pick up this version.   A

Posted Images

With Kentucky Kingdom's Cancellation of their RMC raptor, and no further updates on the South Dakota raptor, I now wish even more that Adventureland would have opted for a raptor first. For someone who lives in Central Illinois, there is no raptor anywhere close and SFGAM already has an S&S free spin.  

But between the two, the raptors appeal to me much more. It sucks that KK came so close to getting one and had to cancel. Here's hoping that project will be reborn in a few years despite Hershend's strained relationship with RMC. If not, maybe SFSTL will end up with one someday. 

But I'm not complaining. The Free Spin will still be a popular ride that I'm hoping to try out someday soon.  And occupying only part of the Dragon's footprint, maybe they could install an adjacent raptor in the future. 

My only reservations about riding a free spin is the fear of nausea, which is effecting me more and more as I get older. though strangely enough, I never had any dizzying problems on the 3 spinning coasters I've ridden, which includes the Phoenix at Adventureland, Pandemonium at Six Flags St. Louis, and former one at SFGAM, but flipping upside down may be a little different.  I still want to give one a try. The Joker was brand new during my last visit to SFGAM. But we ran out of time and didn't get a chance to ride it, unfortunately. So, as of this date, I've yet experience a free spin. 

This Free Spin looks great, and it's gotta be better than Dragon no matter how it turns out. This park is only one state over from me, but about 6 hours drive is a bit too much to day trip, so it requires some planning. I like what they've been doing lately, may have to try to get up there.

17 hours ago, ytterbiumanalyst said:

This Free Spin looks great, and it's gotta be better than Dragon no matter how it turns out. This park is only one state over from me, but about 6 hours drive is a bit too much to day trip, so it requires some planning. I like what they've been doing lately, may have to try to get up there.

Adventureland is about 4 hours from me, along with the Six Flags parks in Chicago & St. Louis. Even at that distance, it's hard for me to get to them. For someone used to SFGAM, CP & KI, Adventureland was never on my to-do list until they got the Monster, and when I finally got a chance to go there in 2019, I was blown away by now neat and clean the park was. It also has a certain vibe to it that you don't get with the Six Flags or even the Cedar Fair parks. I'll certainly be going back there again someday. 

I actually didn't mind the Dragon. It certainly didn't have much going for it, but roughness in coasters doesn't affect me much. I agree though that the Dragon Slayer will be a step up, and I know the general populace will love it. Adventureland has really become aggressive at improving their lineup over this past decade. 

I don't know if I'll be back to Adventureland this year as Indiana Beach will be my priority for this summer. And if I make it to Indiana Beach, it will be my first visit. Indiana Beach was also another park that I skipped over until it was almost gone last year. And given the enthusiasm of the current owners, next year will be the perfect time to visit it, especially to ride the Swartzkoph triple-looper. They are a little further from me than the aforementioned parks, but not by much. 

P.S. I must note that I enjoyed the first drop on Adventureland's Tornado. I read all the negative reviews and went into it not expecting much. And when you do that, the ride ends up becoming better than expected. The Monster absolutely blew me away!