TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Adventureland (Iowa) Discussion Thread

This Free Spin looks great, and it's gotta be better than Dragon no matter how it turns out. This park is only one state over from me, but about 6 hours drive is a bit too much to day trip, so it requires some planning. I like what they've been doing lately, may have to try to get up there.

17 hours ago, ytterbiumanalyst said:

This Free Spin looks great, and it's gotta be better than Dragon no matter how it turns out. This park is only one state over from me, but about 6 hours drive is a bit too much to day trip, so it requires some planning. I like what they've been doing lately, may have to try to get up there.

Adventureland is about 4 hours from me, along with the Six Flags parks in Chicago & St. Louis. Even at that distance, it's hard for me to get to them. For someone used to SFGAM, CP & KI, Adventureland was never on my to-do list until they got the Monster, and when I finally got a chance to go there in 2019, I was blown away by now neat and clean the park was. It also has a certain vibe to it that you don't get with the Six Flags or even the Cedar Fair parks. I'll certainly be going back there again someday. 

I actually didn't mind the Dragon. It certainly didn't have much going for it, but roughness in coasters doesn't affect me much. I agree though that the Dragon Slayer will be a step up, and I know the general populace will love it. Adventureland has really become aggressive at improving their lineup over this past decade. 

I don't know if I'll be back to Adventureland this year as Indiana Beach will be my priority for this summer. And if I make it to Indiana Beach, it will be my first visit. Indiana Beach was also another park that I skipped over until it was almost gone last year. And given the enthusiasm of the current owners, next year will be the perfect time to visit it, especially to ride the Swartzkoph triple-looper. They are a little further from me than the aforementioned parks, but not by much. 

P.S. I must note that I enjoyed the first drop on Adventureland's Tornado. I read all the negative reviews and went into it not expecting much. And when you do that, the ride ends up becoming better than expected. The Monster absolutely blew me away!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Does anybody have any reports of Dragon Slayer? It, of course, opened a couple weeks ago. I'm from the Springfield, Missouri area (I don't know why I say area, I live in the city) and I haven't had a chance to make it up to Des Moines yet. From what I'm seeing from the few vlogs of the park, it looks like the park did a marvelous job of themeing the ride with excellent rockwork for the entrance and station. Their past two new coasters have looked marvelous with their light themeing. Of the videos, it looks like the coaster takes two pauses before going down each drop, but it looks a lot crazier than the Six Flags Freespins. The park advertises that the side that is closest to the Tornado (squire I think), runs on a more mild program and does do a flip or two, but the side that is closest to the lagoon (knight) runs on a wild program. Looking at the POVs, that does look to be true. It looks like it flips no less than eight times on the knight side. Before the final raven dive, it looks like the magnets send the seats flipping four times in a row. Overall, it looks like there is a lot less rocking in this version. 

Personally, I love the Freespins whenever they flip quite a bit. It makes for a fun ride! Seeing Adventureland makes me wish that we could see a couple other small parks get one. Like I would LOVE to see a Freespin at Wild Adventures, Alabama Adventure, etc. 

I actually just got back from Adventureland, and while I can't compare it to the model at Six Flags(I haven't been to Great America since 2015), it is a lot of fun.  I heard that about there being two different variations while in line the second time, but I didn't believe it at first.  While what I heard was in line with what you said as to which side had what intnesity, what I found was the opposite.  My first time - the side closer to the water, I flipped once with a couple near flips.  The second time - by Tornado, resulted seeming constant flips(and a hit to the head).  Although, on my second ride, I was also the only rider in my car, so I don't know if weight balance also played a role.  I personally preferred my first ride as I was facing foreward and didn't receive the painful hit to the head.  If my first ride flipped as much as my second, I'd say it was a great ride.  As it is, it's fun, but it might be dependent on seat.

On 6/27/2021 at 8:06 PM, Airtime&Gravity said:

I actually just got back from Adventureland, and while I can't compare it to the model at Six Flags

Adventureland sounds awesome from that statement alone. Sold.

^This place is only 3 hours from me, but I just checked their ticket prices and oof! 🤑 Apparently they know they shouldn't be compared to Six Flags, a single day admission is as much as my season pass from SFStL at $50.

That's terrible. Fingers crossed everybody is OK.

Parks this year are cursed. El Toro derailing, Skyrush cable breaking, Shivering Timbers bumping trains, GateKeeper's chain breaking, rapids at SFGAdv going off into a maintenance area, Griffon evacuating. All happened in, like, what - 2 weeks? Although this one could potentially lead to serious injury or death, unlike those ones I listed, so I'm really hoping all is well. These types of incidents are never good.

20 minutes ago, Comeagain? said:

Wait what?

Maybe he was referring to the Log Flume getting stuck at the turn into the station?  Not exactly "going off into a maintenance area."

8 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

It wouldn't be shocking to find out maintenance is short staffed, like everything else.

You're suggesting parks are just letting life saving maintenance slip due to staffing?

Seems more like bad luck than anything else to me.  If it's signing off on bad maintenance, that's a very serious, life threatening problem.

6 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

Maybe he was referring to the Log Flume getting stuck at the turn into the station?  Not exactly "going off into a maintenance area."

I swear I read somewhere recently (and saw a photo) of a Congo Rapids boat full of riders somehow getting into the pump station/maintenance area (something like that?) and they had to evacuate. Looking through social media and Google and I can't find anything. Was that some fever dream? Anyone wanna confirm? Maybe I'm just crazy.

Regardless, lots of weird roller coaster and flat ride incidents have happened in the last week or two! I remember back in 2013 when the NTG incident and a Shoot the Rapids (Cedar Point) boat flipped over on the same day, which was also my birthday weirdly enough. This industry really keeps you on your toes.

43 minutes ago, grsupercity said:

These river rapid rides ran like 20 something years without issues and now I feel like its a yearly thing 

Don't forget about the accident at Dreamworld from a few years ago. Spooked the industry a bit then, too; it caused Canobie Lake Park to abandon its plans for their own rapids ride.

Awful news, here's hoping the other kid in critical condition is able to pull through.

1 hour ago, prozach626 said:

That sounds far fetched to you?

Yes. I don't think any park is purposely putting lives I jeopardy because eof staffing issues. If it's not to code and approved they won't open the ride.  Just an opinion though. 

Not saying they can't be short staffed but the idea they let ride maintenance slip and still keep them open seems far fetched. 

16 minutes ago, tndank said:

Yes. I don't think any park is purposely putting lives I jeopardy because eof staffing issues. If it's not to code and approved they won't open the ride.  Just an opinion though. 

Not saying they can't be short staffed but the idea they let ride maintenance slip and still keep them open seems far fetched. 

Clementon Park.  I rest my case.

• Like 2