TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Adventureland (Iowa) Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I took advantage of the promotion yesterday by getting into the park with my Valleyfair gold pass. To get in you have to go through the ticket booths and they give you a free ticket. We had our physical passes and our drivers licenses but the worker still wanted to see our photos for our passes on the Valleyfair app then had us write down our names and emails. It was really weird for the three of us to be able to get into the park just by paying the $13 parking fee .

I took advantage of the promotion yesterday by getting into the park with my Valleyfair gold pass. To get in you have to go through the ticket booths and they give you a free ticket. We had our physical passes and our drivers licenses but the worker still wanted to see our photos for our passes on the Valleyfair app then had us write down our names and emails. It was really weird for the three of us to be able to get into the park just by paying the $13 parking fee .

Was it busy?

Was it busy?

Not really. Even with the reduced capacity on rides we never waited more than 20-25 minutes for anything. I was really impressed with the Phoenix workers. With the small cars I expected the short line for that ride to still be a decent wait, but they really kept the line moving. I don’t know what their cleaning schedule is, but there was only one time we had to wait for them to clean the trains (on Monster) and two other times we were the last train before they cleaned it.

I was confused because according to the calendar the park opened at 10, but it seemed like most rides didn’t open until 11. Once they did open, however, they seemed to be running well as I never saw anything closed, except for the Sky Ride which was closed all day. I assume it suffered damage from the storms that went through last week.

^I was at the park Saturday. They told us the sky ride is closed because it takes 8 people to run and they are short on staff. However, every ride, shop, and food stall in the entire park seemed to be open so I don't know what that was about lol. The rides in the front of the park opened right at 10 (Monster, Phoenix, Tornado, flats) except the Underground at 11. Everything on Dragon Island and back (ie Outlaw) opened at 11.

They also asked us to see our SF pass, photo ID, and active pass in the Six Flags app since the physical pass is basically nothing. Signed the form and comp tickets in hand seconds later.

Monster was great! Epic hangtime. That wait got up to 45 mins. Most other things were around 15-30 minutes with staggered seating by groups. The woodies were not as good as I remembered, kinda rough and no airtime. Underground is more like a quick paced ride, I thought it would do more. Shout out to the insane number of bars around the park though

You can't say that without posting a trip report!

I was at the park Saturday. They told us the sky ride is closed because it takes 8 people to run and they are short on staff. However, every ride, shop, and food stall in the entire park seemed to be open so I don't know what that was about lol.

We were at the park a couple of weeks ago on a weekday and the sky ride was closed that day as well. Before our visit, I had read some reports saying that the sky ride has not run all season. I ran into a maintenance worker in the park and asked if it has run this year, but he said "only for testing". He said that due to covid-19, the park just found it too difficult (or too much of a nuisance) to find a way to close the ride periodically to offload everyone, clean all the chairs and reopen it again. Its a real shame because that is a GREAT skyride!

• 1 month later...

When we went to the park labor day weekend hardly any guest had mask on. The reason we went to this park is they didnt require it. All employees at the resort and park seemed to do a good job of wearing them. Some of the nicest employees we have came across worked here

• 1 month later...

Is it just me, but does this look like a smaller 4D Free Spin? Like it definitely doesn't have the short brake run before the drop into the station, but with how the supports are set up, it almost looks like it will only have one hill after the drop off the lift and before the raven drop. I could be wrong though. 

I'm not super familiar with the S&S Free Spins (never been on one) but that station/brake run does looks a tad shorter. I wonder if this thing will run fewer trains, like 2 or 3 instead of 5 that it seems the Six Flags versions have? Probably not the worst thing for a smaller park like Adventureland especially if it saves them cash upfront.

I mean whenever Adventureland makes an addition, it seems like they are willing to spend a little extra to make sure it is a quality addition, like how they invested a  extra into Monster to get that wicked lighting package and whenever they invested in the themeing around Phoenix, which is actually pretty good! I feel like they would invest in having those extra magnetic fins to get some more flipping. 

It will definitely run fewer trains given the length of the brake run/station. However, I wonder if this will be a taller version with a third "level" of hills. The tight radius of the raven dive on the far left seems to point to that. Maybe not.

Smaller or bigger, it is still cool to see a custom layout.

Track work is completed: 

Source: Reddit 

Looks interesting, definitely a compact smaller layout.  Will be interesting to see if more smaller parks pick up this version.  

Apologies to the mods if I can not post reddit links.  

• Like 1

I like the looks of the double-up. The middle drop looks massive. I wonder if the spinning will be any more or less aggressive than other models. The one at SFGAdv beat us up compared to the several rides we've had at SFGAm. It might be because every cycle is different. Maybe we got a really aggressive cycle in Jersey.

^ Kirnu? Naw. It and INSANE in Grona Lund (Stockholm) were both great to ride AND re-ride, IMhO. Nothing like that piece of crap at SF:MM. Good luck (and my sincere sympathy) to La Ronde for getting it.

I somehow completely missed that this was going to be a more compact model of the Free Spin. I like the look, and I agree that it looks like the more noticeable drops, dips, and tighter curves may mean for a more intense experience than some of the other models.

• 4 months later...

With Kentucky Kingdom's Cancellation of their RMC raptor, and no further updates on the South Dakota raptor, I now wish even more that Adventureland would have opted for a raptor first. For someone who lives in Central Illinois, there is no raptor anywhere close and SFGAM already has an S&S free spin.  

But between the two, the raptors appeal to me much more. It sucks that KK came so close to getting one and had to cancel. Here's hoping that project will be reborn in a few years despite Hershend's strained relationship with RMC. If not, maybe SFSTL will end up with one someday. 

But I'm not complaining. The Free Spin will still be a popular ride that I'm hoping to try out someday soon.  And occupying only part of the Dragon's footprint, maybe they could install an adjacent raptor in the future. 

My only reservations about riding a free spin is the fear of nausea, which is effecting me more and more as I get older. though strangely enough, I never had any dizzying problems on the 3 spinning coasters I've ridden, which includes the Phoenix at Adventureland, Pandemonium at Six Flags St. Louis, and former one at SFGAM, but flipping upside down may be a little different.  I still want to give one a try. The Joker was brand new during my last visit to SFGAM. But we ran out of time and didn't get a chance to ride it, unfortunately. So, as of this date, I've yet experience a free spin.