TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Adventureland (Iowa) Discussion Thread

I think a Shoot the Chutes ride would go over well at this park. They could connect the path between the Raging River to over to Dragon Island (near Puff the Magic Dragon) and then have the ride utilize the "lake". That way, the two major water rides in the park would be next to each other.

I think the next coaster needs to utilize the area where Inverter is now. I still think removing Super Screamer was a mistake, but putting Inverter there was almost a slap in the face. I agree that a hypercoaster should be the next addition. The park does have some unused land behind Raging River and Outlaw Gulch that they could utilize. Something along the lines of Steel Eel would be excellent for the park.

There's an area behind Saw Mill Splash (The over sized water slide that serves no purpose) that i'm certain that the park owns that. If they have a hyper follow the train tracks and turn around in the parking lot near the front gate. That would say "hey there's a park here." and that turn around would be very intimidating. (Like Wild Thing at VF)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been collecting all the Oktoberfest information on my site, including a map I colorized to show how much was open last year versus this year (attached). It's greatly expanded this year, with almost ALL the park open except Dragon Island and beyond. Most rides are open on the front side of the park, except for Sky Ride, Splash Over and Inverter. Since Dragon Island is not part of it, there will be no Himalaya, Dragon, Sidewinder, Saw Mill Splash or Outlaw... Most everything else is running except the kiddie rides. Impressive for $15 (no parking fee; and that price includes a free Sam Adam's beer and souvenir photo).

http://adventureland.parkhopping.com/wiki/index.php/Oktoberfest_2016

Even near the end of the season, Adventureland keeps updating stuff. Last week, new LED lighting was installed on the Giant Sky Wheel. It's not hooked up yet, and the parking-lot side is yet to be done, but a crane was parked behind the wheel so I expect that is what they will be doing this week.

A large shipping container was sitting out front, and the label on it reveals the parts came from EWorks Pro 2.0 in Florida:

http://eworkspro.com/portfolio/classes/wheels

It should be running for Oktoberfest on October 1. I had no idea wheels had this kind of lighting packages. I can't wait to see it.

Also, construction continues at the Iowa Beer & Wine Shop. The trees and bushes in two small grass patches (surrounded by small white picket fences) were cut down a few weeks ago, and last week, they were completely removed. This past weekend, it was now a large concrete patch with footings for a canopy or something. There is even the shape of Iowa embedded in teh new concrete... So much stuff going on right now.

^ If anyone is able to get a pic of the wheel lit up please post it here as I'd love to see it

This is the last weekend, and both days it closes well before dusk, but I will be there for Oktoberfest on Octoerber 1st, and will get photos and video then. Adventureland is using a video I made about last year's Oktoberfest and I'm doing an updated version for them covering this year. My regret is that I didn't set up the camera and get footage of the old wheel before they updated it. At least I have a few clips, which I put in this "after dark" video:

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

^^I'm so glad that people from outside my home state appreciate this park for what it is.

Also, Adventureland finally posted a photo on their Facebook page showing off the new lights on the Sky Wheel. It looks beautiful. Can't wait for videos.

Lastly, I found another fantastic photo of the park recently. The park is using it as their cover photo and it really does show how much the skyline changed with Monster.

14520424_1106098382806879_6228658569360382386_n.jpg.78e0072d8b1db95414b04d1fcdd27af1.jpg

13913703_1061510030599048_2770216391872795559_o.thumb.jpg.b9c27f500e365c04b174a2faa9fbfc42.jpg

I have a few phone pics of the Monster at night from Oktoberfest.

A bunch of yummy food vendors, many beer choices and $5 22 ounce refils after you buy a $7 mug! I can give a full trip report if anyone is interested.

IMG_20161001_204152.thumb.jpg.79a2d8dd10a514c3ba713a8fb190766b.jpg

That is most likely my thumb...

IMG_20161001_204158.thumb.jpg.f0fd9d0642885dc49a4101330d8a06bf.jpg

Not as much thumb..

IMG_20161001_204205.thumb.jpg.d56ae1fff4bf3c7a258d1e9c62eabdac.jpg

Pretty

• 1 month later...

I finally (somewhat) sorted the last of my Adventureland 2016 photos, including a few hundred from their 2nd annual Oktoberfest. The area around the Sky Wheel was used for a main stage and it was wall-to-wall packed. There were drink stands all over the park, and some very funny ones (where they'd turn a gift shop in to a shots bar and such).

Temporary gallery is still here:

themeparks.disneyfans.com/photos/Adventureland/

The park has used the LEDs on the Sky Wheel to display the Cubs "W" logo, and later, the Cubs "C" logo (sorta) after the win.

They also lit up the Sky Wheel in blue in honor of some police officers that were shot here recently (with folks putting blue lights all over town). The park also lent some lights to light up the police station in blue.

Right now, KCL Engineering (the company behind the Monster and Space Shot lights, as well as the Sky Wheel installation) is out at IAPA. I forget which booth they are with, but they are supposedly running a short video reel showing off the Adventureland lights added this year.

Lots of neat stuff still happening. Jolly Holiday Lights (yearly Make-a-Wish Foundation fundraiser) flooded out in it's old Water Worlds Park location, and announced it would move to Adventureland Campground this year. It's being set up right now, and looks like it will be a much better location (though we will miss all the trees).

The Adventureland Inn restaurant also announced some new food specials. Last night, they began serving the "famous" Adventureland Iowa Cafe fried chicken (all you can eat with two sides for $9.99). It was very good - and the first time I'd had it piping hot (instead of being under a heating lamp). They also have the bucket of cookies (Cookies and Cream) and Main Street Mini Donuts on the menu, too.

They don't seem to be resting during the off season.

I have a few phone pics of the Monster at night from Oktoberfest.

A bunch of yummy food vendors, many beer choices and $5 22 ounce refils after you buy a $7 mug! I can give a full trip report if anyone is interested.

That was a special color scheme on The Monster just for Oktoberfest, and there was an alternate color pattern on the Space Shot that night too.

• 1 month later...
So, I wonder if the addition of Monster is the gateway to other awesome coasters coming to the park, or if it will be another lengthy coaster drought for Adventureland like in the past?

The park seems to be making some serious investments with remodels and improvements. It really seems unlikely another huge ride would be added any time soon. The old interviews I've read talked about how they liked to add a new flat ride every other year or so, and a big one every decade.

However, all this could change if they see dramatic increases in cash flow from The Monster. But, it would have to be through other spending and off-peak days. During the busiest summer month, the park fills up all its parking and spills out in to the RV campground and hotel parking, with cars on the grass and along the lanes. Folks take their vacations mostly on those big weekends, it seems... I wonder if they saw much of a bump on those already-packed weekends last year. (I'd heard from some parking staff that they'd still had bigger crowds in post-Mosnter years.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
The park opens April 29th. Does the park ever tease new additions that early in the season?

There are always small things each year, but not rides. They used to have a pretty consistent schedule for adding minor and major rides, and would even mention that in newspaper interviews. With The Monster from last year, we probably have until next year or after before they swap one of the flat rides to. At least, that's been the pattern since I moved here in 1995.