TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Adventureland (Iowa) Discussion Thread

For what it's worth, I have spent some time resorting and regenerating my Adventureland photo gallery. I still am lacking specific day information on the first few years (camera was before EXIF) but I sorted them the best I could. At least the year is correct.

themeparks.disneyfans.com/photos/Adventureland/

These will eventually move to a new website dedicated to Adventureland. It's basically going to be a dedicated Wiki for the park, covering as many rides, shops, shows, and games as I can document since the park opened to the public in 1974. There are a ton of gaps in the timeline, but it's coming together.

The Dragon opened in 1990, but many sites list it as 1991. I found a 1997 newsgroup post with the Roller Coaster Almanac giving the 1991 date, so it was wrong pretty early.

Some mysteries recently pointed out to me:

1. The dragon opened with 7 cars, but today has 6. This happened sometime between 1999 and 2001 (1999 video on YouTube shows 7, but a photo I took in 2001 shows 6). The back row in the queue has been roped off for 15+ years. Wow.

2. Early photos show the front car had 3 rows, but today it has 2. We are not sure when this happened (it was 2 in 1999).

3. They added an extra belt to hold down the shoulder restraints sometime between 2004 and 2008 (I didn't take close up photos every year; lesson learned).

And, some photos - including one on the park's official website in recent years - showed it used to say "the DRAGON" on the front, but it no longer does. I thought it was from the original 3 row car, but I have photos of the 3 row car with nothing on the front.

Does anyone know where I can find better details of this Hopkins coaster? There is almost nothing online, and I keep finding sites repeating the same incorrect information. The best is when they say it's 7 cars under a photo showing 6 cars. Details, details...

Thanks...

So, thinking about taking a trip down to the park in the next few weeks. Does it make much of a difference in crowds to go on a Sunday instead of a Saturday, or does it not matter much?

~Josh

Nope. If you go between now and the 21st expect the park to be packed every day. This is Iowa State Fair time and the "SOP" for most families is to visit the fair and also go to Adventureland while in town. Seriously, the parking lot at Adventureland will be completely full and they'll be parking people over at Adventureland Inn as well.

So if you do go, be prepared to wait in lines. You'll get to practice being patient.

So, thinking about taking a trip down to the park in the next few weeks. Does it make much of a difference in crowds to go on a Sunday instead of a Saturday, or does it not matter much?

~Josh

Nope. If you go between now and the 21st expect the park to be packed every day. This is Iowa State Fair time and the "SOP" for most families is to visit the fair and also go to Adventureland while in town. Seriously, the parking lot at Adventureland will be completely full and they'll be parking people over at Adventureland Inn as well.

So if you do go, be prepared to wait in lines. You'll get to practice being patient.

Thank you so much, I completely forgot about the Iowa State Fair!

I'm thinking the last weekend of August, that shouldn't be bad, right?

~Josh

I would think it would be back to normal by then. It'll definitely be less crowded on the Sunday.

~Josh

I would think it would be back to normal by then. It'll definitely be less crowded on the Sunday.

Alright, thank you! Looking forward to Monster and all of the other rides at the park!

~Josh

I was there after work today and it was the first Friday in a month that wasn't busy. Ten minute wait for Monster. But the past four weekends have been pretty packed. On the 15th, the park goes back to weekends only as kids go back in school. Not sure what that does to the crowds these days but they used to lighten up.

There used to be trolleys that circuses the park. There were four stops - Main Street station, one behind Der Flinger, one at the end of the park (no longer a guest area), and one where the entrance of the Tornado is. I've been updating my website with info as I get it, and this page now has photos of what's left from this attraction:

adventureland.parkhopping.com/wiki/index.php/Toonerville_Trolleys

There used to be trolleys that circuses the park. There were four stops - Main Street station, one behind Der Flinger, one at the end of the park (no longer a guest area), and one where the entrance of the Tornado is. I've been updating my website with info as I get it, and this page now has photos of what's left from this attraction:

adventureland.parkhopping.com/wiki/index.php/Toonerville_Trolleys

Any time frame for the Trolley? Wikipedia say's that the A-Train opened in '85, I was thinking it was later than that.

Any time frame for the Trolley? Wikipedia say's that the A-Train opened in '85, I was thinking it was later than that.

1974-1979 is what it looks like.

I started the Wikipedia page back in 2006, and it has many incorrect dates. I have been cleaning it up the best that I can. There just aren't many sources for this, beyond finding old newspaper ads announcing "new for XXXX" and such.

Here is the work-in-progress park history timeline. It has some questionable entries, but it is much more accurate than the Wikipedia:

http://adventureland.parkhopping.com/wiki/index.php/History

-Back last year when The Monster was announced and more and more people started finding out about my home park I got giddy and hopped over to the “5 year plan” thread to write down my thoughts on what Adventureland would look like in the future. This was before the 2015 season ended and I just wanted to point out that two of the things I predicted for smaller improvements had happened way before I thought they would. Kinda cool… makes me feel like a mind reader. Hopefully my other predictions will come true!

Anyway this was my original post.

“2015 - Small improvements. / Star Wars battle pods. / New beer tents by Storm Chaser and Sky Ride. (Update: Built new bridge to Dragon Island 2015) [Known]

2016 - Tearing down of Log Flume. / Monster roller coaster from Gerstlauer (First coaster for the park in 20 years). / (Update: Lights added to Space Shot and Monster) [Known]

2017 - Small improvements. / Refurbished bridge to Dragon Island. (Update: 2015) / Add lights on all coasters. (Update: 2016)

2018 - Build new log ride in the area of Raging River with lights and on ride photo.

2019 - Small kiddie ride.

2020 - New Coaster OR Tear down Dragon rebuild replacement OR tear down Tornado and rebuild replacement by RMC.

All years are very realistic for my home park except for 2020. I really am curious where they will go after 2016 with Monster. Truthfully I can see them being quiet for 10 more years only adding little additions but you never know. The past five years have been BIG for them. Why stop now?”

-BUT Because Adventureland is a smaller park and I’m quite certain that they will only be adding major rides every other year I’ll make a 10 year plan. That’s a lot more fun anyway.

2017- Off Year / Park Improvements (add lights on the rest of the coasters / repave the parking light)

2018- Build new log flume somewhere by Raging River, hopefully with lighting package.

2019- Off Year / Park Improvements (new sign for the entrance of the park)

2020- Small additions to Adventure Bay and new kiddie rides added around the park (many parks have designated kids areas, but Adventureland has always had them placed throughout. I don’t have a problem with this and actually kind of like it. I feel like it balances out the family aspect wherever you go).

2021- Off Year / Park Improvements

2022- Build a new themed area with a unique flat ride AND/OR tower ride behind Saw Mill splash and the circus.

2023- Off Year / Park Improvements

2024- 50 year anniversary! I think this is where we would see the next new coaster added. Tear down Dragon and rebuild replacement or RMC treatment to Tornado.(Crossing my fingers that the Dragon goes.)

2025- Off Year / Park Improvements

2026- This is the year I think that the park starts growing out. I’m pretty sure I read a couple years ago that they bought the land that is currently holding the cornfields west of 34ths ave. I can see them hopping the road and either A. adding on to the waterpark with more slides, pools and maybe even a water coaster or B. theming the new area into something fresh and new for the future. (That's a big speculation though, don't know if they did buy it or if they ever will)

P.S. There’s lots of room for a huge, state of the art coaster over there... just saying .

-BUT Because Adventureland is a smaller park and I’m quite certain that they will only be adding major rides every other year I’ll make a 10 year plan. That’s a lot more fun anyway.

Awesome timeline. I have spent much time this season researching park history, and not much thinking about park future.

One thing you can add to your light show list: Updating the Giant Sky Wheel lights. I was told that was on the list for next season. Between Space Shot, Monster, and various other updates in past years (even Chuck Wagon got new lights, and LED bulbs on the Scrambler when it returned), it seems the park is gearing up for more nighttime activities.

I have been trying to find information on what property they own. I may have to just pop down to Altoona city hall and see what public records are there. That field is still planted with corn and a "For Sale" sign is on it (across from Tornado).

Finally got around to hitting up Adventureland to experience Monster (I haven't been in a few years so Storm Chaser was also new to me). In my opinion, both are fantastic additions to the park (Monster in particular being an extremely nice surprise). Only captured a couple of photos, but I do have a couple things to say about my experience at the park.

Monster was, as previously stated, an extremely nice surprise. With the only other Gerstauer I've been on being Rock Bottom Plunge at MOA, I expected a fairly time but at the same time fairly fun experience, but I was happily mistaken. This ride almost never lets up, and has a couple of elements that leave your body feeling all funky. The hang time on most the inversions in particular were shining moments, short but sweet. The only complaint I have with this ride was that the trim brakes and the following turn were a bit jarring compared to the rest of the ride, but were nothing that ruined the experience for me. The lighting package on the ride also make the ride a thing to behold. If you ever visit Adventureland in the future, a night ride on Monster is a must. Also try to get a ride on the Sky Ride as it gets threads the needle on many elements of the ride, making for some pretty sweet visuals.

I did hit up the rest of the coasters, with the two woodies being very average and The Dragon being well... The Dragon, and the flat collection never left me bored. I did, however have one complaint about the park, more specifically the crowds. I don't know if it was because if i visited during the Iowa State Fair or something else, but the abundance of groups of irresponsibly drunk adults and loud teenagers. This caused some a couple of notable annoyances throughout the day. Now, I know that this isn't completely the parks fault, but the rules could have been enforced just a little more tightly. Whilst queuing for Tornado, for instance, at least 3 grown adults and 2 teenagers line jumped under the guise of "they had friends/family in line" while the employees didn't even notice and/or question it. It took the 5th person to do it before one of the other guests called him out, causing him to have a full blown cursing tantrum and storm out of the line. It was also worth mentioning that this was a GROWN MAN. While these events were few and apart, it did kind of put a damper on the whole friendly Adventureland atmosphere. Various alcohol containers were also found in the form of litter all around the park, especially in the station of the dragon. People were even throwing them in to the lazy river (luckily when I wasn't in it) located in the waterpark, leaving the lifeguards to pick it out of the water as it floats past them. Real classy.

Despite the crowds, I did have enough fun to spend the entire day there without ever becoming tired of the park. With the recent additions of Monster and Storm Chaser, Adventureland is really starting to become a solid family park with a solid number of thrilling rides. The flat ride collection contains pretty much anything you could hope for in a small park, at least in my opinion, and now with the addition of Monster, I definitely will be making another stop once I'm in the area again.

IMG_0736.thumb.JPG.6f8c87eb70415ee5e3e6370bc04afe45.JPG

Monster on the top of its lift.

IMG_0730.thumb.JPG.031583e10c3482022993fc3a75a93479.JPG

Storm Chaser from the ground.

IMG_0755.thumb.JPG.d9e254cacffb45f65138ef772c101e69.JPG

View from the top of the Ferris Wheel.

IMG_0763.thumb.JPG.ca07018df392302407132cc7c93176d1.JPG

Storm Chaser at night.

IMG_0768.thumb.JPG.9c598a24c73d5e935fe26329f25e3425.JPG

Monster's lighting package. Track lights up red as train passes, then turns blue after the train is past that section of track.

IMG_0740.thumb.JPG.e50f47342f4491746fd68880adda620f.JPG

Ouch.

2016 Adventureland Oktoberfest details:

21+ and over. No kids. No exceptions. ID required!

Saturday, October 1, 2016 - 11am-10pm.

Live music: 13 acts on 5 stages, 11am-9:30pm

"Last Call" fireworks at 9:30pm.

Adventureland food stands.

Gourmet food stands (outside vendors).

Many park rides open, 11am-9pm.

Tickets go on sale at at www.adventurelandpark.com on August 22, 2016.

$15 Oktoberfest general admission: includes free parking and one free Sam Adam's Octoberfest beer.

New this year:

$20 Belgium Feast: Prepared by Master Belgium Chef, Daniel Joly, and Master French Chef, David Baruthio.

$89 Hotel+Admission+Brunch combo: Adventureland Inn room, 2 Oktoberfest admissions, and 2 morning-after brunches at Spectators Sports Bar & Grill.

And, the best deal for anyone who plans to "try it all":

$200 VIP package:

1. Admission ($15)

2. Oktoberfest refill mug ($12 in the park)

3. Souvenir refill frozen yard with lanyard ($12 in the park + lanyard cost?)

4. Oktoberfest T-shirt ($20-$30? how much?)

5. Belgium Feast meal ($20)

6. FOUR drink coupons for any drink stand (!!!) ($6.50-$9 in the park)

7. Complimentary Sam Adam's Octoberfest on draft

8. Complimentary Sam Adam's Cider on draft

9. Complimentary import and domestic cans

10. Complimentary bottled water

11. Complimentary fountain drinks

12. Complimentary snacks (light to heavy)

13. RESERVED RESTROOMS for the venue!

As you can see, if we go by typical park prices, the VIP package easily includes $105-$125 or so just for admission, mug, yard, T-shirt, meal and drink coupons. If you plan to eat other snacks during the day, and enjoy more drinks (even bottled water or fountain sodas), it easy to see how one could spend $200 enjoying an all-day event like this.

The reserved restrooms and over VIP amenities are just a nice bonus

There will be more details posted to their website:

http://www.adventurelandoktoberfest.com

Considering a normal day at Adventureland is $10 to park, and $42 to get in, just going out to enjoy a kid-free park with some of the rides open sounds like a deal to me. The live music, fireworks and endless food and drink choices are merely a bonus

UPDATE: Tickets here - https://www.adventurelandpark.com/ti…/index.php/tickets.html

WOW, that photo of Monster's lighting is spectacular! Now that's how you light up a ride.

Strange that Oktoberfest is adults only. When Geauga Lake had their annual Oktoberfest (which was awesome - rides till midnight!) it was more of a family event despite all the beer flowing.

I've been aware of Adventureland for a few years now, but it had never really caught my eye until now, with the addition of the Monster. So now, I've been pushing to get over there, and after having seen a video of the Monster's lighting in motion, my itch is even greater. But I haven't yet and time is running out. It was their first roller coaster in 20 years, though people beat up on SFSTL for not having a new coaster in 9 years. LOL

Adventureland seems like a pretty nice little park and it's fairly easy to get to from Galesburg IL. And I don't remember ever riding a roller coaster with the view of a nearby cornfield. The 2 wooden roller coasters look interesting and I'd probably even enjoy the Dragon. I'll post an update if I'm able to go. The park intrigues me. And now that there's an Infinity coaster just 3 hours away, I have to get there somehow.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good plan-of-attack for this park? I know Monster first, but are there any other popular rides with deplorable capacity here?

If you guys have any other tips (Good things to eat, best place to not kill myself on Dragon other than the exit ramp, etc.), that would be great!

Thanks!

Our plan of attack was Monster first, then waterpark, then whatever we felt like. Really, all the rides, including Monster, are low capacity, but attendance isn't super high, so you won't wait too long for anything. Only Monster and the rapids ride had any appreciable wait at all, and you pretty much expect that.

We chose the waterpark early because I heard it hits capacity sometimes, but that was a month ago, and demand for it is surely different now than it was then.

As far as food goes, the food court near the rapids ride is the best place. They've got just about every style there, and it's all pretty good.

I didn't think Dragon was that bad, really. We just picked the row with the shortest line--I don't even remember which one it was, but it was somewhere in the middle--and I didn't experience any pain to speak of. A bit of roughness, but not actually painful. Since you're from Minnesota, I'd say it's comparable to Valleyfair's Corkscrew in roughness, if that helps you decide.

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

^Thanks, and that's good to hear! I'm not a waterpark person, so that should hopefully mean that there won't be much waiting.

I'll just shoot for the 1st row of a car and hope for the best on Dragon. I've just heard so many bad things about that ride, if it's anything like Corkscrew it'll be a pleasant surprise.

Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...
-Back last year when The Monster was announced and more and more people started finding out about my home park I got giddy and hopped over to the “5 year plan” thread to write down my thoughts on what Adventureland would look like in the future. This was before the 2015 season ended and I just wanted to point out that two of the things I predicted for smaller improvements had happened way before I thought they would. Kinda cool… makes me feel like a mind reader. Hopefully my other predictions will come true!

Anyway this was my original post.

“2015 - Small improvements. / Star Wars battle pods. / New beer tents by Storm Chaser and Sky Ride. (Update: Built new bridge to Dragon Island 2015) [Known]

2016 - Tearing down of Log Flume. / Monster roller coaster from Gerstlauer (First coaster for the park in 20 years). / (Update: Lights added to Space Shot and Monster) [Known]

2017 - Small improvements. / Refurbished bridge to Dragon Island. (Update: 2015) / Add lights on all coasters. (Update: 2016)

2018 - Build new log ride in the area of Raging River with lights and on ride photo.

2019 - Small kiddie ride.

2020 - New Coaster OR Tear down Dragon rebuild replacement OR tear down Tornado and rebuild replacement by RMC.

All years are very realistic for my home park except for 2020. I really am curious where they will go after 2016 with Monster. Truthfully I can see them being quiet for 10 more years only adding little additions but you never know. The past five years have been BIG for them. Why stop now?”

2017- Off Year / Park Improvements (add lights on the rest of the coasters / repave the parking light)

2018- Build new log flume somewhere by Raging River, hopefully with lighting package.

2019- Off Year / Park Improvements (new sign for the entrance of the park)

2020- Small additions to Adventure Bay and new kiddie rides added around the park (many parks have designated kids areas, but Adventureland has always had them placed throughout. I don’t have a problem with this and actually kind of like it. I feel like it balances out the family aspect wherever you go).

2021- Off Year / Park Improvements

2022- Build a new themed area with a unique flat ride AND/OR tower ride behind Saw Mill splash and the circus.

2023- Off Year / Park Improvements

2024- 50 year anniversary! I think this is where we would see the next new coaster added. Tear down Dragon and rebuild replacement or RMC treatment to Tornado.(Crossing my fingers that the Dragon goes.)

2025- Off Year / Park Improvements

2026- This is the year I think that the park starts growing out. I’m pretty sure I read a couple years ago that they bought the land that is currently holding the cornfields west of 34ths ave. I can see them hopping the road and either A. adding on to the waterpark with more slides, pools and maybe even a water coaster or B. theming the new area into something fresh and new for the future. (That's a big speculation though, don't know if they did buy it or if they ever will)

P.S. There’s lots of room for a huge, state of the art coaster over there... just saying .

Dude, A-land would NEVER EVER RMC Tornado. EVER.

I think a Shoot the Chutes ride would go over well at this park. They could connect the path between the Raging River to over to Dragon Island (near Puff the Magic Dragon) and then have the ride utilize the "lake". That way, the two major water rides in the park would be next to each other.

I think the next coaster needs to utilize the area where Inverter is now. I still think removing Super Screamer was a mistake, but putting Inverter there was almost a slap in the face. I agree that a hypercoaster should be the next addition. The park does have some unused land behind Raging River and Outlaw Gulch that they could utilize. Something along the lines of Steel Eel would be excellent for the park.