TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Adventureland (Iowa) Discussion Thread

So I was able to go to Adventureland today and get 10 rides on the monster! The unfortunate part is I did notice a few times that it is getting a slight gerstlauer rattle right before the corkscrew at the end. It is an absolutely amazing coaster though!!!

It's not a "rattle". It's the train hitting the trims to slow it through the final inversion. Ride is smooth and good. Did several laps on it on Monday.

The unfortunate part is I did notice a few times that it is getting a slight gerstlauer rattle right before the corkscrew at the end.

Wait, wait wait.... Are you SURE it was the Gerstlauer Rattle? Or could it have possibly been the B&M Rattle? Or maybe a Vekoma Rattle? Because there so many slight variations and nuances between the various rattles, you need to be careful to discern the subtle differences in order to accurately report to the rest of us which one you are experiencing on said coaster, so we are well prepared to endure the dreaded rattling!

The unfortunate part is I did notice a few times that it is getting a slight gerstlauer rattle right before the corkscrew at the end.

Wait, wait wait.... Are you SURE it was the Gerstlauer Rattle? Or could it have possibly been the B&M Rattle? Or maybe a Vekoma Rattle? Because there so many slight variations and nuances between the various rattles, you need to be careful to discern the subtle differences in order to accurately report to the rest of us which one you are experiencing on said coaster, so we are well prepared to endure the dreaded rattling!

I cannot wait to endure the dreaded rattling next month!

It's not a "rattle". It's the train hitting the trims to slow it through the final inversion. Ride is smooth and good. Did several laps on it on Monday.

Greetings. Checking in from Des Moines per an invite by Jack D from the "Adventureland Iowa Fans" page I set up last month.

When riding The Monster opening morning, I noticed that braking right before the loop, too, and wondered if it was something they had to do to slow it down, or if it was some kind of intentional dick-move by the designers to make the loop hang you much longer than it would have otherwise After riding it multiple times, I'm still not sure - ha. I wanted to ask the company guy but kept forgetting every time I ran in to him.

I have been taking regular photos of the public construction (since the park opened this season), and am in touch with the guy from the company doing the lighting. I saw the hardware it uses. Great, simple stuff. They've come a long way (this would have been a huge undertaking 10 years ago).

I moved to Iowa in 1995 and have been taking digital photos at the park since 1996 for my website. I have over 3300 photos from this year so far (I hadn't been able to afford to go since 2010 so I have much catching up to do). They've been quite busy the last six years, it seems!

My background: Back around 96, there was only one other website online that had any coverage of Adventureland. I think I had the very first videos from the park on YouTube. I also created the Wikipedia page about ten years ago (you can go to the Disney Adventureland page and look at the Talk page and see the initial question I had about starting a page and how it should be set up).

Things have come a long way!

...per an invite by Jack D from the "Adventureland Iowa Fans" page I set up last month.

Hey that's me!

Yeah, I haven't been giving this guy enough credit. He does A LOT to show off this park! Much of the videos and photos I've found and shared on this thread recently have come from him and the rest of the members on his page. I mean just check out the 3300+ photos of Aland and The Monster on his website he took himself.

themeparks.disneyfans.com/photos/Adventureland/Adventureland2016/NewFor2016/MonsterOpeningDay/index.shtml

We're happy to have you!

"With a new ride comes a new frozen adult beverage. The Monster is Monster energy drink plus ... other stuff." - Allen H

Wonder what that other stuff is? I think this is located in the new beer/alcohol structure that's right by the Storm Chaser, just a short walk away from the coaster.

13343015_10208634009540390_9067436123170836416_n.jpg.614154b7d5df2fe5d0a412addb6ce439.jpg

13412892_10208634014100504_8995231760894554719_n.thumb.jpg.c37fa1dc5ccb901937314c5c17127e6e.jpg

I will be going to Adventureland for the very first time on June 24th to check out the park and mostly for the Monster. I'm very excited to be visiting a new and different park than my home park, Valleyfair, and will be making the drive from Minneapolis! I plan to stay at a hotel at the night of the 23rd, spend the whole day at the park on Friday the 24th, and perhaps visit the water park if it's warm enough then make the drive back to Minneapolis at night. Any advice for my trip about the park that I should check out anything special at the park? I see some unique flat rides I haven't done before such as the Paratroopers and I do enjoy flats in addition to coasters. Also are there any discount deals for the gate prices? Thanks for the help!

I will be going to Adventureland for the very first time on June 24th to check out the park and mostly for the Monster. I'm very excited to be visiting a new and different park than my home park, Valleyfair, and will be making the drive from Minneapolis! I plan to stay at a hotel at the night of the 23rd, spend the whole day at the park on Friday the 24th, and perhaps visit the water park if it's warm enough then make the drive back to Minneapolis at night. Any advice for my trip about the park that I should check out anything special at the park? I see some unique flat rides I haven't done before such as the Paratroopers and I do enjoy flats in addition to coasters. Also are there any discount deals for the gate prices? Thanks for the help!

If you're staying in Des Moines, then at some point you should definitely go to Zombie Burger for lunch or dinner. It's about 10-15 min from the park. Well worth it as the food options are pretty blah once you're inside the park.

As for the park itself, Storm Chaser is like nothing in Minnesota, so if you've never been on a Windseeker or a Starflyer, that would be a must. G-Force is a great spinning ride inside an arcade. Great to ride if you need to get out of the sun for a bit. Sidewinder is an outside-facing Frisbee, unlike Mutant Masher at NU@MoA, and the outside ones are more fun in my opinion. Ride it if you've never ridden one before.

If you're staying in Des Moines, then at some point you should definitely go to Zombie Burger for lunch or dinner. It's about 10-15 min from the park. Well worth it as the food options are pretty blah once you're inside the park.

Thanks for that tip! I'll be headed out there in early July, and I just looked at their menu. Those burgers are pretty crazy! And that's coming from an LA guy, where there are a ton of crazy good burger places.

As for the park itself, Storm Chaser is like nothing in Minnesota, so if you've never been on a Windseeker or a Starflyer, that would be a must. G-Force is a great spinning ride inside an arcade. Great to ride if you need to get out of the sun for a bit. Sidewinder is an outside-facing Frisbee, unlike Mutant Masher at NU@MoA, and the outside ones are more fun in my opinion. Ride it if you've never ridden one before.

Great, I'll have to check out Zombie burger for sure now! That looks fantastic! I'm staying at the Comfort Inn near the park, but I'll definitely make the trip to downtown for those burgers!

I've had been on a windseeker and Frisbee's since I've been to Cedar Point and rode those, but I'm still looking forward to those rides when I go to Adventureland and will hit them up. G-Force sounds interesting, is it one of those bobsled carnival rides? Also from google maps, I see an big indoor ride, is that the indoor wooden coaster that I've heard about? Is it any good?

Great, I'll have to check out Zombie burger for sure now! That looks fantastic! I'm staying at the Comfort Inn near the park, but I'll definitely make the trip to downtown for those burgers!

I've had been on a windseeker and Frisbee's since I've been to Cedar Point and rode those, but I'm still looking forward to those rides when I go to Adventureland and will hit them up. G-Force sounds interesting, is it one of those bobsled carnival rides? Also from google maps, I see an big indoor ride, is that the indoor wooden coaster that I've heard about? Is it any good?

Yeah, the big indoor ride you're seeing is The Underground. Don't get your hopes too high. It is an indoor wooden roller coaster but it rides more like a dark ride than a coaster. That said, Adventureland does have quite the eclectic coaster lineup. Besides Underground, the park has one of the very few Hopkins coasters (Dragon), an early-age CCI (Outlaw), and their oldest coaster Tornado. It's part of the charm though. You get the feeling it's a park that has no interest in following trends or chasing records and is perfectly content to be the nice little park it is.

"With a new ride comes a new frozen adult beverage. The Monster is Monster energy drink plus ... other stuff." - Allen H

Wonder what that other stuff is? I think this is located in the new beer/alcohol structure that's right by the Storm Chaser, just a short walk away from the coaster.

Vodka... And something else which I forgot so that's why I dodge it in my description

Monster, Sour Apple Pucker, Melon Pucker and Vodka.

Last night was the first time the park was open past daylight, so I took my camcorder in to record the lights on The a monster. I wandered around and found spots to set up and record a cycle, and I plan to edit them all together later today. Here is one of the runs with some descriptions of things the light program does.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

And here is the edited version, using clips from ten or so recordings, edited together like a multicam recording. I had never used Multicam in Final Cut Pro, so it was a learning experience. I now know what I will do better the next time. (ANd this is not the final light program. They are still working on it.)

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]