TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Wireless Network help

Sue

We just bought a laptop in addition to our desktop so we’d like to set up a wireless network. We’re not the best with behind-the-scenes computer stuff so I was hoping some of you more knowledgeable on the subject could help answer a few questions.

--Is it easy to set up a wireless network?

--Our laptop lists wireless connectivity as 802.11 b/g. Does that mean that we have to get a B or G router? Does that mean an N router wouldn’t work?

--Any recommendations on specific brands of routers?

--Do we need a certain router to be able to do wireless printing?

--Do we need to buy a new printer that says it does wireless printing or would any printer work for wireless printing?

--Do you have any recommendations as far as anti-virus and/or spyware programs? Are any of the free versions any good? I want to make sure our new laptop is well protected!

Thanks for any help you could give!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I set up a Netgear-N router by myself and it takes about 20-30 minutes. Just follow the instructions the installation program gives you, and you should be fine. Also, if you're not sure how to turn off your modem in the process of installing the router, contact your ISP or service provider.

Netgear's the only one I recommend, because it's the only one my family uses!

I would think, any router can be uses with wireless printing, although I COULD be wrong

(oh, and off-topic note: this is my 5th anniversary post! woohoohoo! )

--Is it easy to set up a wireless network?

Yes, it's very easy. You'll basically just plug it all in, name your wireless network and give it a password (for security) and you're off! Just follow the instructions that come with the router. It will come with a CD that will step you through the whole process.

--Our laptop lists wireless connectivity as 802.11 b/g. Does that mean that we have to get a B or G router? Does that mean an N router wouldn’t work?

An N Router will work just fine. You could also buy a G router if you wanted. Think of the letters as "speed". A is slowest. Z is fastest. Right now, the fastest you can get is N. If you get an N router, but your wireless card is a G, it will work but you can only go as fast as your card will allow (in this case G). Don't worry though, G is still plenty fast and will serve you well. (Note: Don't be too concerned with speed differences. N is a relatively new technology. 90% of all wireless networks you'll find out there will be G. So if you've been on a wireless connection elsewhere, you already have a good idea of what to expect from G in terms of speed.)

Just stick with the big players and you'll be fine. Netgear, Cisco, Linksys, D-Link. I've installed this one with ease and great results several times.

Just about all of them should be able to do it. Some make it easier than others to setup that function though. If you have a friend who has experience setting up wireless printing, it would be worth your time to recruit their help.

--Do we need to buy a new printer that says it does wireless printing or would any printer work for wireless printing?

Most printers can be forced into wireless printing but as mentioned above, it can occassionally be a real pain. If you were getting a new printer anyway, it couldn't hurt to get the one that touts that feature. It would hopefully be an easier implementation.

--Do you have any recommendations as far as anti-virus and/or spyware programs? Are any of the free versions any good? I want to make sure our new laptop is well protected!

Several of the free versions are outstanding. In particular, AVG Free for antivirus and MalwareBytes for Spyware detection & removal.

Good luck and enjoy your new computer!

Edited by Emiroo

^I think this is very good. I just have two additional things:

1) Make sure you set up security on your wireless router. It should be easy, but it might involve an extra step or two. You don't want the kid next door connecting to your wireless access point and trying to hack.

2) Unless you have a very fast Internet connection, like Verizon FiOS, the speed of your wireless router matters little for using the Internet. Your speed will be limited by the Internet connection itself, which is likely to be much slower than 802.11g's top speed of 54M.

Hey, this has already been well answered but I'll just throw in my personal opinion.

Don't get B, it's too old. Get G or N. G is cheaper, N is faster. You decide. Won't make any difference to the stuff you already have.

I would personally recommend Belkin, I've had good results with theirs. Also Thomson are probably ok, since they are the ones supplied by most of the ISPs in the UK.

Nope, as long as you are happy having it sit next to your desktop it will be fine. The printer can simply work off the desktop machine by a process called 'printer sharing'. There is help available from Microsoft for that. (assuming both your machines are Windows!). My family used this system for years without a hitch. What's best about this method is it is completely free, but you do have to have your desktop on all the time for the printer to work.

If you are a little scared in getting involved in stuff like that, then you are probably just better getting a standalone wireless printer. This doesn't require it to be connected to a powered-on computer.

If buying a new printer, must say Wireless Printing.

I recommend the fantastic Avast Free Antivirus and Comodo Firewall Pro, both of which are free, and both of which outperform many of their paid-for rivals. AVOID NORTON AT ALL COST!!!

Here are some suggestions and opinions I have regarding brands, from my personal experience:

Don't buy a Netgear router. I had one for less than a year and it "crapped out" on me. It worked fine, then practically overnight it just stopped working. My PS3 (wireless) wouldn't stay connected, my dad's laptop (wireless) wouldn't stay connected, and even the desktop would occasionally get disconnected, and that was WIRED.

Here's what my Netgear router looked like:

At first we thought it was our ISP, Comcast, but I bought a new one that's a Linksys and it has been working flawlessly ever since (well over a year ago). My PS3 is as fast as ever, never getting disconnected once, my dad's laptop has no problems, and the wired connection is great.

Here's what my Linksys router looks like:

The best, free-ist and fastest anti-virus is Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/ ) If it wasn't for EU anti-trust laws I think Microsoft would pre-install it on all systems.

Also, this is where I remind you to always update windows ASAP. Every time it tells you "hey, there's an update" for windows, do it.