TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

^ Yea, Bert's right. Kings Dominion is a great park, even without Volcano, and if you choose to visit it you will have a great time. Personally, I feel Hersheypark edges it out due to the more rounded experience (including Chocolate World), so I'll always recommend that more, but it's up to you.

Glad you're having fun. Ride the Log Flume. Ignore these haters.

^Listen to this man!

We were suppose to stop at Carowinds on the way home but after I305 my daughter was a little hesitant to go on Fury325. That was the main reason to stop there. We also changed hotels so much that the thought of doing two more for a couple of hours didn't appeal to me. I hope to get there at some point. I hear great things about that ride.

I actually said "oh no!" out loud when I read that you skipped Carowinds! Fury325 could not be more different than Intimidator305. Besides the height they have nothing in common. They are made by very different ride manufacturers, have completely different train styles, Fury is fast but smooth and fun and not trying to drain your body of life like I305 does. Fury is like a smoother Millennium Force with a bit more pizzazz in the first half elements. Definitely stop there next time to ride it! You both will love it.

I'll be traveling down south myself in a few weeks and will be making a stop at Carowinds for some Fury action. I'll say hi to Fury for you if you say hi to my beloved Millennium Force for me!

Debating if I want to go to KD or Hershey....volcano being down is kinda pushing me towards Hershey. Also, I’ve never ridden skyrush.

I find the coasters at KD more thrilling. Hershey I go for the whole 'experience'.

I think the rides are a close contest. I like the park at Hershey more -- not flatland etc. However if you're going a random day in July, it also tends to be more crowded and the "experience" at KD could be much more enjoyable.

I'd also say Skyrush is more a must-do than El Toro, Superman the Ride and probably even Phoenix put together.

Debating if I want to go to KD or Hershey....volcano being down is kinda pushing me towards Hershey. Also, I’ve never ridden skyrush.

Dang! Before this year's visit, I would have said it's an easy call, go to Hershey! But after riding the amazing Twisted Timbers... It's REALLY, REALLY close!

With Volcano down for the count, and its only one or the other, I'd save KD for another year and just go to Hershey. The parks are both great with great lineups, tho Hershey is a bit nicer. But Volcano is a must at KD, so I'd save the park til its up and running.

Thank you all for your feedback. I have decided to go with KD just because they did the $29.99 ticket sale and I couldn’t pass that up. I’ll just have to catch volcano next year. I may try to fit Hershey in some weekend in late July or August, but thanks!

Thank you all for your feedback. I have decided to go with KD just because they did the $29.99 ticket sale and I couldn’t pass that up. I’ll just have to catch volcano next year. I may try to fit Hershey in some weekend in late July or August, but thanks!

Aside from the great (not counting Anaconda) coasters, definitely ride the excellent flume, drop tower and the Scrambler. I rode that for the first time there on my last trip and it was fantastic. I mean yeah it's just a scrambler, but they were running it super fast. I'll definitely be hitting that ride a lot more. I mean I love Scramblers. They are fun and unlike most spinning rides, don't make me sick. And this one is really great.

I’ve been at the park since 10 and I’m glad I rode intimidator in the morning. It’s been closed for most of the day and flight of fear has been down for at least 3 hours. You know Safari village is cursed when anaconda is the only coaster that didn’t break down in the area lol. Timbers was down only for an hour and I finally got to ride it, definitely worth the hype!

Also, I’ve heard that volcano will be closed for the rest of the season in order to renovate the mountain and implement a new operating system. Supposedly, KD will inform the public of this within the next week.

Not sure how a complete ban on cell phones would be enforced except in cases where it is visible to park employees before entering the ride. Are they going to require everyone go through a metal detector before entering the queue? Is somebody going to stop me and require I empty my pockets to prove that the bulge is my wallet and not a cell phone? They would have to have a security guard or someone with a little authority at the entrance to enforce this as the last time I was at KD the lone park employee stationed at the entrance was ineffective in forcing riders to use a locker for their backpacks. The fencing and area surrounding the entrance was littered with at least 50 back packs that riders left there instead.

Edited by robbalvey

Not sure how a complete ban on cell phones would be enforced except in cases where it is visible to park employees before entering the ride. Are they going to require everyone go through a metal detector before entering the queue? Is somebody going to stop me and require I empty my pockets to prove that the bulge is my wallet and not a cell phone? They would have to have a security guard or someone with a little authority at the entrance to enforce this as the last time I was at KD the lone park employee stationed at the entrance was ineffective in forcing riders to use a locker for their backpacks. The fencing and area surrounding the entrance was littered with at least 50 back packs that riders left there instead.

When I was there 2 weekends ago, they had security in the station watching as riders boarded throughout the weekend.

Edited by robbalvey

I am all about putting my things in a locker. However, if it is going to be a REQUIRED policy then I feel as though the parks should be covering the cost because in the end they are doing this to cover their butt. It should only be a charge if I have the choice to use the facility.

Edited by robbalvey

Do we really need to have the same conversation every time a new ride / park institutes this rule? I'm not saying anyone's complaints aren't justified, but this is becoming the new "Is Fastlane Good or Bad" debate that seems to pop up every 6 months. Nothing new ever comes out of it and it goes on for pages and pages.

Also, even if you think it's a dumb rule it's probably not a good look to come on TPR and brag about how you plan on breaking park rules. Just follow the rules. I promise you won't die.

Do we really need to have the same conversation every time a new ride / park institutes this rule? I'm not saying anyone's complaints aren't justified, but this is becoming the new "Is Fastlane Good or Bad" debate that seems to pop up every 6 months. Nothing new ever comes out of it and it goes on for pages and pages.

Also, even if you think it's a dumb rule it's probably not a good look to come on TPR and brag about how you plan on breaking park rules. Just follow the rules. I promise you won't die.

So, I'll delete my previous comment above yours...But just to clarify, are you saying you always "Keep your hands inside the car at all times"?

I'd like to take this time to extend my deepest, most heartfelt condolences to the Kings Dominion thread.

You were forever irritating, but once those twists of timbers rose from the ground, you became a place of love and appreciation for this wonderful park and its whimsical and fantastic machines. It pains me so greatly to know that after all we've been through, after all of our laughing and loving, that you're now going to die a slow, agonizing death from a preventable affliction... the dreaded locker debate.

I fear its too late now. We could have prevented this, Kings Dominion thread. We could have saved you...

So, I'll delete my previous comment above yours...But just to clarify, are you saying you always "Keep your hands inside the car at all times"?

I'm not going down this rabbit hole with you. I'm just saying it's probably not a good idea to openly brag about how you're going to break the rules.

And yeah... what Boldikus said. Personally I'm far more interested in what's going on with Volcano than what their locker policy is.

I'm not trying to be an ass here...But seriously. I thought this was the Kings Dominion thread...Not the Boldikus and coasterbill thread. People should have the freedom to talk about what they want here if it has to deal with Kings Dominion. The lockr issue pisses a lot of people off...So it helps to talk about it. And yeah, the Volcano thing is important too.

I'm not trying to be an A$$ here...But seriously. I thought this was the Kings Dominion thread...Not the Boldikus and coasterbill thread.

Uhhh... what? Do you have a problem with me or my posts?

You can talk about whatever the hell you want in here and no one ever said you couldn't. But its been beaten to death. It sucks to have to pay for a locker. Whining about it like a baby on a theme park forum isn't going to make a park change their rules.

I'm not trying to be an A$$ here...But seriously. I thought this was the Kings Dominion thread...Not the Boldikus and coasterbill thread.

Uhhh... what? Do you have a problem with me?

You can talk about whatever the hell you want in here and no one ever said you couldn't. But its been beaten to death. It sucks to have to pay for a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo. Whining about it like a baby on a theme park forum isn't going to make a park change their rules.

No, I don't have a problem with any one on here. And I would totally be cool with a boldikus and coasterbill thread...I'd read it. And no, the park is going to keep the rule regardless how much we hate it...But still. I just wanted to go on the record with my opinion. I don't believe I've posted it here, so there. Sorry you had to deal with my whining.

It's an annoyance having to buy a mandatory locker, but I'll do whatever I need to in order to ride El Toro, Twisted Timbers, or whatever coaster it may be. In the end, $1-2 is nothing compared to the gas and admission cost.

I was more interested to see if it was true that it had been implemented and it sounds like it has.