TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

P. 766: Haunt Has Risen from the Grave

They could rename The Beast to "Indoor Cat," and it would still be the classic coaster it always was.

Indeed. Whether their names are Rebel Yell and Ricochet or Racer 75 and Apple Zapple, I'll still primarily think of them as "Those two kind of crappy coasters I have to walk past to get to Twisted Timbers."

After learning the true origins of the name, I'm personally happy about the name change and proud of cedar fair for trying to keep up with the times. It's a history that needs to be preserved in books and museums, not publicly glorified. IMO we should be treating confederate history the same way Germany treats Nazi history. (Prepare for the fallacy-filled backlash from close minded nationalists)

But the most important thing to remember is this has nothing to do with what affects ride experiences. If you wanna call it rebel yell, do it. I still say drop zone and Scooby-Doo (ghoster coaster ). I know some old heads who still say outer limits.

While not a fan of "Apple Zapple" as a name, I think I understand what they are going for.

since it's right across from Twisted Timbers, they are trying to position the mouse as an alternative for those too small to ride TT. Hence positioning as a family coaster.

know who will LOVE that name, "Apple Zapple"? little kids.

little kids love rhyming (it's something I learned from my background in advertising. . .that's why there tends to be rhyming in toy commericals.

so yeah. . . "Apple Zapple" is not targeted at *me*. . so it doesn't matter if I like the name or not.

tho, really. . ..can't understand why they didn't go with something like "Apple Twister" as a name, since it IS right across from TT.

since they are considering that area part of Candy Apple Grove too, slightly surprised they didn't rename Windseeker too. . . tho "Granny Smith Gondolas" isn't really a great name either

Edited by bert425

They could rename The Beast to "Indoor Cat," and it would still be the classic coaster it always was.

I'm freaking dying here!

And yes, if people are going to petition shit, make one to name a coaster Laser Snake Horse On Fire!

Of course, then you would offend many horse lovers

Here are my thoughts about the improvements at Kings Dominion for 2018. The area around Twisted Timbers definitely needed a facelift for a long time now. It is looking 100x better than the previous year. Rock Shop also needed a facelift, before it looked like an outdated 90's store. Twist and Shop is a decent name, but I can't wait to buy me a Twisted Timbers T-Shirt. I cannot wait to try that Mac Bowl restaurant, Mac and Cheese is one of my favorite foods. Now let's talk about the renamed coasters. Apple Zapple, this name is silly, at the same time unique and memorable. I am already remembering the name very well. I like the new color scheme of Ricochet. Definitely a refresh. As for Racer 75, they could've done better with the name, but it's a nice nod to the ACE and Kings Island's Racer. (Comments on the social media is ridiculous, but it is the normal experience from social media). I am buying a Racer 75 t-shirt as well. Overall, it definitely a well-deserved change. I can't wait to see what Cedar Fair has in store for Kings Dominion in the future.

Whenever something like this happens, I try to evaluate the situation from a business point of view, separate from my personal views. That being said, Kings Dominion is not too far from Charolettsville. I think it is pretty obvious why any business would want to distance themselves from the events there as much as possible.

How strange it was that not very long ago I was half-heartedly joking to someone that due to the accelerated expunging of historical nomenclature, one day soon KD would ditch the name "Rebel Yell".... That said, it seems surely they could do better than that which sounds exactly like a clone of the KI Racer. And it won't surprise me if the ignorant GP don't think that is the case. A better option might have been "_______ Racer" with another word before "Racer". Maybe paint the railings red and call it "Red Racer" to go with the apple theme....

But I don't know, I'm 47 years old, and it was called Rebel Yell when I was a child, and ever since then, and to me it will always be the Rebel Yell, even if they were to re-brand it the "Dog Fart Coaster".

Now as for "Apple Zapple"....that's just downright bizarre! Sounds like a brand name for a fruit flavored chewing gum!

My only gripe about this decision is the name they chose. You're telling me not one person in their creative department could think of something better than "Racer 75"?

When I finally visit KD this summer, all I expect is a middle of the pack woodie, regardless of name.

If Racer75 is named after ACE, when are we going to get a TPR-themed coaster?

They should start adding little plaques commemorating great quotes from Robb's POV videos.

"And we're turning... turning... and... we're turning some more!" - R.A., TPR

These would be some really fun plaques!

So, how bout that Twisted Timbers, eh?

Actually, I heard there was a group of skaters who got offended the park used the word "Twisted" in the name. The skaters felt like they were being singled out, and picked on. So the park is currently looking to rename it.

Edited by DoinItForTheFame