TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

P. 766: Haunt Has Risen from the Grave

And some truly groundbreaking news:

Shortcut path is open between Dominator area and the kids area. Make a beeline to Woodstock Express. Smoking area there is currently gone, though wasn't a popular one.

And the new RMC track looks impressively big and solid too. This seems like a pattern, to lay track at the bottom of the lift very early, must help reinforce it at the base. No trick track this time. Looking a bit more at their methods, it makes some sense they're building it slowly and stretched out with a small team. While the track pieces are large, compared to a steel coaster it's more a bunch of small pieces bolted together.

Is there a reason why RMC tends to recycle the same 3 colors (red, orange, or dark red)? I wish hurler was a light blue or some other color, KD already has two red coasters. Not that big of a deal but something I've noticed.

Any chance we see the first turn use an adapted version of the outward bank on Wildfire or the wave turn on Lighting Rod?

13240779_1027353383968448_6895060524418177962_n-2.jpg?w=322&h=182&crop

Possibly.

Is there a reason why RMC tends to recycle the same 3 colors (red, orange, or dark red)? I wish hurler was a light blue or some other color, KD already has two red coasters. Not that big of a deal but something I've noticed.

I'd rather they save the blue for a future B&M or so. Warmer colors go better with wood.

And the new RMC track looks impressively big and solid too. This seems like a pattern, to lay track at the bottom of the lift very early, must help reinforce it at the base.

I doubt this is the reason why, though someone correct me if I'm wrong. I think a better guess is that its because its easier to start installing track on the lower parts of the structure where they don't need large cranes, which the parks tend to have for limited amounts of time during construction due to their cost.

Agreed 100%. This grinds my gears. Why not a banana yellow Ibox track? Or hot pink? A nice baby blue? If we have colors like Twisted Colossus and Joker, why so many reds and oranges on all the other RMCs? Ridiculous track colors add to the already freakish/Frankenstein look of all the RMC's.

I'd rather they save the blue for a future B&M or so.

I suppose you're referencing that B&M flyer that some kid pipe-dreamed into existence?

And the new RMC track looks impressively big and solid too. This seems like a pattern, to lay track at the bottom of the lift very early, must help reinforce it at the base.

I doubt this is the reason why, though someone correct me if I'm wrong. I think a better guess is that its because its easier to start installing track on the lower parts of the structure where they don't need large cranes, which the parks tend to have for limited amounts of time during construction due to their cost.

I know they'd do that anyway. But they lay the track on the lift before even completing the lift hill itself. And how many months went by between the first track up the lift (STILL incomplete) on Mean Streak and track anywhere else? The only other reason that would make sense is they want to get some visible track on the coaster and that's the bit that suits them to start with, but then part of that reason wraps back around to where we started. Plus it brings up the question of if announcing by doing is something they do intentionally (I think so, but the parks don't act like it)... The new part of the Hurler lift structure also doesn't look stronger than the original, in fact there's no cross braces (edit: diagonals) at all on it right now, which points back at that bit of track at the bottom tying it down. Looking at other bits of RMC, the wood part of the structure never looks very strong, they must rely on the track itself to hold up to more intense elements.

Intimidator was "slowed" by a minuscule amount

No, they trimmed the living sh*t out of Intimidator. That trim bites harder than any non-midcourse trim I can think of, but guess what... the ride is still awesome.

The mid-course trim was there opening day on I305. It's no less intense now than spring 2010.

Hello! I already asked for BGW tips in the BGW thread, but since I'm also visiting King's Dominion on Wednesday, I'd like to hear some input on the same practical questions:

- What crowds and queues can I expect?

- Which rides get the biggest queues and should I try to do first? Is there a recommended order?

- What are the best seats in every coaster?

Thanks!

Hello! I already asked for BGW tips in the BGW thread, but since I'm also visiting King's Dominion on Wednesday, I'd like to hear some input on the same practical questions:

- What crowds and queues can I expect?

- Which rides get the biggest queues and should I try to do first? Is there a recommended order?

- What are the best seats in every coaster?

Thanks!

-Since you're going on Wednesday, crowds should be pretty light and I would expect most queues should have minimal wait times with the exception of a few rides.

-Head to Volcano first since that always has a long queue through out most of the day,. If you get there first thing in morning when the park opens, you can get a few rides in.

-I might be a little biased since I'm a backseat rider, but most rides there are great in the last row, notably Dominator, Intimidator, and Grizzly. However, I do prefer the front on Volcano and Flight Of Fear.

That screams "announcement date" to me. It's a Wednesday in late August with an 8:00 close (so they expect the place to be dead) so it's a great day to hold an announcement event at the park (assuming that's how they do it) to try to get a few extra people through the gates.

That screams "announcement date" to me. It's a Wednesday in late August with an 8:00 close (so they expect the place to be dead) so it's a great day to hold an announcement event at the park (assuming that's how they do it) to try to get a few extra people through the gates.

Everybody already know they are getting RMC Hurler for 2018 so it's interesting to do a tease. Any secondary addition if there is one, likely won't be big. They already recently did Planet Snoopy 2013, the water park expansion 2015, and 3 kid rides in 2016. They could add another flat, they added Delerium in 2017

No, "everybody" does not know that. Enthusiasts know that. Lots of passholders go to the announcements that aren't as fanatical as the enthusiast community.

Also, while we know it's an RMC we don't know much about the layout. We'll know more by August, but I'm sure it'll still be far from complete.

When looking at the image, I noticed that the order happens to be, "GROVE", "APPLE", "SNOOPY", and then "2018" in the text. This also happens to be chronological order, going from the Candy Apple Grove addition of Delirium, then to the Planet Snoopy expansion with the family rides, and then 2018. Just a thought, maybe it listed the prior additions, and then '2018' signifying that it'll be their next new ride, RMC Hurler.