TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

P. 766: Haunt Has Risen from the Grave

Strangely, Dominator is actually my favorite floorless coaster because it has fewer inversions than the rest. While B&M coasters always do have great flow through the inversions, I like how Dominator has elements like the overbanked speed turn, and that low-to the ground turn at the end of the ride. I thought those high-G elements added some good variation to the usual constant inversions I am used to on B&M's.

In terms of constant inversions, you cannot beat Kumba. Kumba has perfect intensity and flow through each element. Afterburn is pretty amazing too, to the point that I would call it the inverted version of Kumba. But other than these, I actually prefer a layout with more variation to the layout as opposed to constant inversions.

Discovery Kingdom's Medusa is my favorite floorless. I absolutely love the long straight drop and the rest of the layout has a nice mix of smooth inversions.

Dominator is really fast and forceful, but it's missing my favorite element on a floorless, the zero-G roll.

I'll hop on board in saying that Dominator is far and above the rest of the Floorless coasters I have ridden.

I haven't ridden Dominator at Kings Dominion yet, but I'd imagine it is the same as when it was at Geagua Lake. It was a really good coaster there, so I'd imagine it is still good at KD. My favorite B&M floorless is currently Hydra at Dorney, but it is possible I'm not giving Dominator it's fair due as it has been such a long time since I've ridden it.

Any ideas on the name or theming of the RMC?

Hopefully they won't pull a Six Flags and go back to terribly uninspiring names (Twisted Colossus, really?).

Iron Hurler, Hurler 2, Hurler: The Revenge, Hurler Returns, Iron Wayne.

Some other obvious names; New Hurler, Steel Hurler, Hurler Reborn.

I think it's more likely to become Intimidator Jr. than Hurler anything. Or something else to do with racing -- that definitely would have fit the original layout.

I don't think they're removing that much of it (yet?), maybe by length yes but not by weight, but they are taking more of it down all the way to the ground (and back) because it hits that threshold that's easier; the layout doesn't offer much for partial cutdown done on most of the others. In return, most of the more different stuff will almost certainly be concentrated there in the bits that really are "from the ground up". How do you really change Hurler's layout much otherwise?

There is a new video by Joe K. that shows it from the other side (hardest to see from Grizzly and Ricochet), I noticed the stretch of removed supports between the end of the first curve and the remaining part of the first hill after is longer than I thought, basically the whole section hidden behind the station, they have a lot there to work with. The other recent pic shows that temporary fencing is up slightly outside where the original first curve fence was. Thing I keep noticing is the backstretch and the missing part between the 2 last curves are extremely close together, but I can't figure out how they could use that to change the layout, maybe they won't but it looks significant.

^Kind of interesting how they're going about it. This could be the first ever part conversion, part ground-up RMC.

I think this is going to provide an El Toro-type experience where the focus is on ejector airtime but with 2-3 inversions.

And for the name/theme I can see another interesting name with a backstory like Cedar Fair has been doing recently.

I really like the name "Desperado" as it perfectly describes an RMC but I don't know if CF would want it to share the name of a pretty significant hypercoaster.

Any tips for the park and where should I sit on I305 for the best first ride?

I don't really have a preference, it's amazing in every seat. The only ride in that park where I have a strong seating preference is Dominator where you ABSOLUTELY need to sit in the back row and on the left (far) side of the train.

Edited by coasterbill

I hope we can still agree that the BTR zero-g''s are the poo-poo, though.

BTR's Zero G did nothing for me. The only Zero G Roll on a invert that I've ridden that actually provided airtime is the on found on The Hungarian Horntail side of Dragon Challenge.

Any tips for the park and where should I sit on I305 for the best first ride?

I don't really have a preference, it's amazing in every seat and every seat. The only ride in that park where I have a strong seating preference is Dominator where you ABSOLUTELY need to sit in the back row and on the left (far) side of the train.

Glad I got that seat broken in for you back when it was down the street from me...

The front is the best but the line for it gets looooooong. Early morning right after Volcano is a good shot at it.

Everywhere on the train is good, the middle is really underrated IMO.

The back seat is great on I305--crazy airtime on that first drop.

Quick question for anyone familiar with the park.

I'll be heading to the park in early August this year, and I was wondering if one full day (likely a Sunday) with FastLane+ should be plenty to cover everything? We're driving up from Charlotte the day before, and we want to make sure we have two full days for BGW after this park.

I'll be heading to the park in early August this year, and I was wondering if one full day (likely a Sunday) with FastLane+ should be plenty to cover everything? We're driving up from Charlotte the day before, and we want to make sure we have two full days for BGW after this park.

Quick answer.

Yes.

Honestly, if you arrive at opening (on a sunday) and hit volcano first you wont even really need the fast lane.

Honestly, if you arrive at opening (on a sunday) and hit volcano first you wont even really need the fast lane.

Volcano gets the largest crowds. Knockout that one when the park opens and do a couple of runs on I-305. It's feasible to do all the coasters in one day. Intimidator doesn't get crowded until 11am. You could get six rides in. Volcano isn't my favorite coaster in the park. Gets boring after the launch.

Ride Dominator in the afternoon.

I may be hitting up KD for the first time ever later this summer. Any tips for the park and where should I sit on I305 for the best first ride?

The line is usually short so it's easy to get multiple rides. I usually do the back car for the first ride, the drop is best there. Then I usually do row 2. Stadium seating means it's kinda like the front but with a much shorter wait.

I may be hitting up KD for the first time ever later this summer. Any tips for the park and where should I sit on I305 for the best first ride?

I305 is great anywhere but I think I prefer the back the best. Front is great too. Click the KD/BGW link in my signature for an indepth report about my visit to the park w/ Coasterbill last fall. It's a great park. I'll echo what he said about the back left of Dominator. Holy crap.

I'll be honest, I know you're not out here all that often and it's tempting to buy Fastlane but you probably don't need it.

When you get to the park, go straight to Volcano, then hit Flight of Fear, then Backlot and after that lines will be a complete non issue. If you want to mix in one ride on I305 before Backlot or Flight of Fear even though it never has a line but you want to get it out of your system then that's fine too. lol

PS: Ride the Log Flume.