TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

P. 766: Haunt Has Risen from the Grave

... maybe it was just Fury has ruined me or maybe I'm just getting old but I felt like I had my A$$ kicked. I sat in the second row since the fast lane plus puts you into the station with no way of getting in the front row line. I'm definitely going to give it another shot, maybe at night when it's not so hot.

On my first ride on grizzly during the day someone took out a cell phone on the lift and they stopped the train and the operator was saying sir put your phone away. This selfish idiot took a few minutes before actually listening and putting it away. I couldn't see who had it out but nobody was talked to after the ride ended. All parks need to get more strict about this and just start throwing people out. Make some examples out of people so at least some will think twice about it.

I also much prefer Fury to I305 due to the fact that I305 absolutely kicks your ass. It's impressive and powerful and intense but I can only ride it so many times before I feel worn out, whereas I can ride Fury over and over again and I don't feel that way. Both are incredible. Heat and hydration levels do make a difference, too.

Completely agree with you about making examples of these dicks who continue to pull their cell phones out. When I was at GAdv last there was a lady in the seat in front of me on the mine train who pulled out her cell phone to record in selfie mode the entire ride with her daughter (who didn't seem to be having much fun.) The entire video is me tapping her on the shoulder and making nasty faces behind her to put her fking phone away. She refused and on the brake run slipped it into her pocket. Why do people feel the need to have to document every single freaking moment of our lives? I don't understand this. Maybe one day when she loses the grip on her phone and it cracks her daughter's skull in half she'll reconsider.

When I was at the park last Wednesday there were two guys working on Hurler on the structure. They were on the hill closest to the road. The only equipment I saw was a bucket truck but that wasn't being used. It looked like a ton of the demolition phase has already been completed. We may see new supports and maybe even track go up pretty soon.

And, bumping this just because I'm so curious as to why they would need to do this...

I saw something interesting at I305 today that I'm hoping someone here can explain. A train was boarded and they proceeded to check the restraints. I'm guessing some error was being given so the ride ops had the restraints rechecked several times. They then had everyone get out and get back in the line. That train was sent around empty. They then loaded the riders into the next train but made an announcement that they had to sit on the opposite side from where they were originally sat. If you had been on the left, now sit on the right and vice versa. After several checks of the restraints that train was sent out. The empty train came around and the next riders boarded without issue.

I've seen a lot of technical difficulties, block resets, restraint resets etc. This was the first I've seen where they had everyone on the train switch sides. Is it a weight/balance issue? Are the restraints on one side larger and they needed to accommodate a larger guest but didn't want to single them out individually?

While I may be in the minority, I like Coaster Studios. He seems like a cool guy and he's got a good thing going. That being said I think this is a little overly ambitious. It's not entirely crazy (aside from the B&M) but I don't see them spending this much. He seems to be operating under the premise that each year the park needs multiple additions and a Soak City expansion needs to coincide with a dry park expansion and I don't think either of those things are true.

While I may be in the minority, I like Coaster Studios. He seems like a cool guy and he's got a good thing going. That being said I think this is a little overly ambitious. It's not entirely crazy (aside from the B&M) but I don't see them spending this much. He seems to be operating under the premise that each year the park needs multiple additions and a Soak City expansion needs to coincide with a dry park expansion and I don't think either of those things are true.

1. I don't think you're in the minority. Most enthusiasts like him. It's just a few snobs that don't like a 19 year old giving his analysis.

2. I mean Kings Dominion has added an addition every year save for 2011. Maybe not two things per but this is my modification of Taylor's plan:

2018: RMC Hurler, WinterFest, upgrade of that back section

2019: Front gate update

2020: Mass Effect, Slingshot

2021: Soak City Expansion (yes maybe even a slide coaster).

2022: Disk-o

2023: B&M wing rider (having doubts about a flyer).

I'm definitely interested to see how the RMC comes along over the course of this season. Hurler wasn't a "big" coaster as far as they go, but after seeing what was done with Storm Chaser, RMC proved that they can pack a hell of a punch even in a small, "short" layout. Plus, we can't rule out them adding to the height of the lift like they're clearly doing with Mean Streak.

I'm definitely interested to see how the RMC comes along over the course of this season. Hurler wasn't a "big" coaster as far as they go, but after seeing what was done with Storm Chaser, RMC proved that they can pack a hell of a punch even in a small, "short" layout. Plus, we can't rule out them adding to the height of the lift like they're clearly doing with Mean Streak.

Honestly I think this could be the first conversion where the new one is actually longer than the old one. Usually it's the other way around.

I mean wow what a top 3: A giga, RMC, and launched invert.

Don't forget the best floorless. Seriously a great lineup. Can't wait to get back, it killed me to pass it twice in the past week and not go in.

Don't forget the best floorless. Seriously a great lineup. Can't wait to get back, it killed me to pass it twice in the past week and not go in.

Yup. No other floorless can match Dominator's intensity

I'm still stunned how Kings Dominion got Geauga Lake's best coaster. I mean the other parks (while still receiving good rides-ooh wait nevermind Michigan's Adventure) got clones and we got an almost world class ride.

After 2018, my updated top 3 for the park will probably be I305, Grizzly, and hopefully RMC Hurler! And then of course there's other coasters I love like Dominator, Volcano, and Anaconda, with Rebel Yell and Flight of Fear also being really good. And I still didn't mention Backlot, Avalanche, and Woodstock yet!

Bizarro is right up there with Dominator for me. I love them both. Dominator just rips down the drop and all through that first half, I love that its all about speed, and then that sweet pop off the midcourse, but Bizarro has that bomb diggity zero-g, and I like the ending better a little better - I'm a sucker for that helix after the midcourse. Also fire.

but Bizarro has that bomb diggity zero-g

This right here is what does it for me. The lack of a zero-g is my only "problem" with Dominator. This is going to be a classic case of my favorite between the two is the one I happen to be riding at the moment. Either way they're 1&2 for sure to me though.

Dominator is the most intense (and longest), Bizzaro is the best themed, and Krypton Coaster has the best scenery.

I wish Dominator had a zero g-roll but it's still the best floorless because of all the overbanks it has. You actually get some airtime on it. I do want to see a wingrider one day to provide a more relaxed B&M expwrience.

Dominator is the most intense (and longest)

Let's not pretend It's noticeably longer. It only has ~200 ft. more of track and I would argue that Bizarro feels longer, likely because it does more than Dominator, however, what Dominator does, it does better.

I find Krypton Coaster and Kraken to be far better than Dominator. Not to say Dominator is a bad ride, I just don't think it is as intense, and Zero-G rolls are my favorite element on floorless coasters, which Dominator lacks. I do like it better than Bizarro and Scream however.

Edited by X2coasterfreak

I liked Dominator. What stood out to me the most were the high speed turn and the hangtime in the loop. That loop really seems to go on forever! However, I liked Bizzaro more because of the zero-g roll, headchoppers, and more layout complete-feeling layout.

I know Coasterbill is going to kick my a$$ for saying this, but Bizzaro's zero-g is so good that it's even better than Kumba's. I hope we can still agree that the BTR zero-g''s are the shit, though.

Edited by RollerManic

Dominator used to be my favorite ride in the park. However it's my 3rd favorite now. (Only because I've ridden it so much that it doesn't have that amazingness to it anymore.) I definitely think it's better than all the other floorlesses I've ridden (Superman, Bizarro, Batman, Rougarou, and Kraken.)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Bizzaro is the best themed

While this may actually be true by default, let's not pretend any of these rides are "themed".

And I'll testify as well that Bizarro when I rode it opening day at Great Adventure was running like it's Medusa days. Front or last row in the far right seat delivers crazy floater air.