TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

P. 767: WinterFest Media Night Report

In other news (and no this is NOT an April Fools' Joke) the entire first turn of Hurler has been removed.

The aerial shots posted two pages back told us this.

Nah the track was removed back then but not the entire structure.

Bruh

Okay maybe I was wrong but I could have sworn a week ago the supports were still there.

You gotta be fast to keep up! Actually the drone shot looks to me to still have the fence, the later shot does not, so they took down the supports first and the fence removal was their progress later this last week.

Having ridden 7/7 of the IBox conversions, I can tell you that even if RMC Hurler maxes out ~100' (like Storm Chaser, Joker, Medusa) it can still be incredible! Medusa is the most intense steel RMC and doesn't have the most impressive surface stats.

Regardless, having I305 + any RMC basically creates one of the best 1-2 coaster punches in the US!

And that's before you realize that the park also has Volcano and Dominator.

Kings Dominion basically has everything you could ask for in a park. Even their worst coaster (Anaconda) is still pretty thrilling.

Alright the offseason ended for this park why is there an argument over a junior invert

Hey, better than last year when the schadenfreude over Planet Snoopy was palpable.

You get extra cool points for the use of "schadenfreude." I freaking love that word and the concept

Anywhoo.....I'm really looking forward to see what they do with the Hurler layout. I never experienced either of them when they were "good" and never understood the wisdom of a large drop into a turn on a woodie.

I am just curious to see how much height RMC is gonna add to this if any? I have yet to ride Storm Chaser, but I have heard nothing but good things. As a matter of fact, I have yet to ride an RMC period. I am a bit behind I know. Even though Hurlers layout was a bit lack luster, I think RMC can work some magic with it. I can definitely see some inversions in this!

Is it me or did Anaconda suddenly get smoother? Because when I rode it last Saturday it was buttery smooth.

So I'm not the only one who got a good ride on Anaconda that day. On top of that, the head banging / neck chopping from the transitions was nowhere near as bad as I expected.

I've never been damaged as bad by Hurler or Shockwave as I have been on Anaconda (or Grizzly, RY or the flume or, really, Dominator or I305). But they did something (?!?) that made "the Spot" on the old snake a lot better 3-4 years ago and I'll have to check out if they've worked some more sledgehammer magic.

As to Rebel Yell, I rode the South side and it's very smooth, but seemed slow. To my surprise they were racing it, or running both sides anyway.

Hurler was amazing in 2006, one of the years it was completely retracked. The ride was fast, smooth, and had really good airtime. My most recent ride in 2014 was rough, slower, and had much weaker airtime. I still wouldn't call the ride painful by any means, but I am glad it is being RMC-ed.

I honestly preferred the Togo stand-ups to the B&M ones since they had less head-banging.

To anyone on the board that is in the know....

Now that we know CF is in collaboration with RMC for MS & Hurler, does anyone have any clue (other than the expected construction delays) why it is taking 2- 3 years to convert a wood coaster to an RMC hybrid?

Let's look at the stats...

Texas Giant closed for 18 months during it's conversion (large footprint)

Iron Rattler, Joker & Twisted Colossus closed for 9 months (remembering Colossus was dual track)

Medusa & Wicked Cyclone closed for 10 months.

I did not include ground up coasters like Lightning Rod and Outlaw Run nor did I include Storm Chaser due to it's steel support structure.

So...with that said we know that KD Hurler closed in 2014 and MS in 2016. I can see the 2 year closing for MS due to it's large footprint, but if we use the I-Box conversion timeframes above, shouldn't we be looking at a 2017 opening for Hurler just based on the footprint alone?

Unless CF purposely delayed Hurler, or RMC has a manpower shortage, I really can't see why we are looking at a 2018 opening.

So...with that said we know that KD Hurler closed in 2014 and MS in 2016. I can see the 2 year closing for MS due to it's large footprint, but if we use the I-Box conversion timeframes above, shouldn't we be looking at a 2017 opening for Hurler just based on the footprint alone?

Unless CF purposely delayed Hurler, or RMC has a manpower shortage, I really can't see why we are looking at a 2018 opening.

Simple; the park saved money last year by not running Hurler. There didn't seem to be any notable work going on with the ride until after the 2016 season but they probably saw it as an opportunity to save money on staffing and maintenance for a year since the ride was tremendously unpopular and generated virtually zero in-park spending.

Edited by coasterbill

I really can't see why we are looking at a 2018 opening.

The teaser put out in October literally says it's for 2018. End of argument.

Not to mention that the 2017 season just started and Hurler's construction is in it's first phase. Not sure why anyone would think it should open this year.