TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wait, there is actually going to be a safari-themed ride in Safari Village? Is that allowed? 🤣

My money, in all seriousness, is on Tiki Twirl.  CF already has a logo drawn up and everything.

He has a lot more history with Kings Dominion than just 2 years. You also forgot that Carnival and Winterfest also came in under him (I know they aren't rides, but I feel they are big improvements for

Posted Images

All those people thinking RMC Hurler could be 150+ tall, while I'm no physics/engineering expert, it might make more sense in that case to take a wrecking ball to the entire track and build from the ground up. So I agree with Bill in the Storm Chaser comparisons. And it's yet another reason I need to make use of the timeshare across from BGW and make a trip out of that and KD.

All those people thinking RMC Hurler could be 150+ tall, while I'm no physics/engineering expert, it might make more sense in that case to take a wrecking ball to the entire track and build from the ground up. So I agree with Bill in the Storm Chaser comparisons. And it's yet another reason I need to make use of the timeshare across from BGW and make a trip out of that and KD.

Or it could be that the existing "lift" will be used as an airtime hill.

We still don't know the relative layout.

Cedar Fair could have a completely different approach to design than Six Flags did. They may just be trying to make these coasters all they were intended to be, with less maintenance. RMC would benefit from an example of Iron Horse being used for a less extravagant, costly process. As to Hurler specifically, exactly it's not going to be something where it would be better just to start over. At the least, it will remain a coaster that tends to stay closer to the ground to maintain speed, it will not become all about height. The one tall, complex portion of the coaster will not somehow be rebuilt a lot taller, it would be easier to leave that unchanged and tear down all the low parts, unless the extra height is steel going all the way down to the ground. Maybe some spots will come down lower to the ground, the cut-out section at the bottom of the drop could be that (although if I didn't know better I'd say they're putting in a loop).

As to the timing, neither of the coasters in progress have contributed significantly to their parks for years. I thought RMC said they were getting away from conversions a couple years ago, at least for a while. I haven't heard of them doing anything else right now, maybe they have something planned already next winter, or they just know they can do it now. And it is 2 coasters and Mean Streak is huge.

I sort of feel like this is going to be kind of a small / budget RMC like Storm Chaser. It's really just a gut feeling, I'm not speaking with any authority but I don't expect crazy height increases or anything like that. Maybe I'm wrong, but if this is the case it'll still be a completely balls out insane ride and the thought of pairing that with I305, Volcano, Dominator and Flight of Fear is pretty incredible.

Same thoughts here. As long as it's better than The Joker, I'll be happy.

Yeah I definitely sense a Medusa/Storm Chaser sized Iron Horse. That first drop is ripe for an inversion like the aforementioned. I do feel they'll add some lumber to the structure thouugh. That first right hand turn I could see being an overbank or some type of tophat. Then an airtime hill ala SC's second hill. Even the most basic iron horse conversion will be in the top 3 rides at KD.

I sort of feel like this is going to be kind of a small / budget RMC like Storm Chaser. It's really just a gut feeling, I'm not speaking with any authority but I don't expect crazy height increases or anything like that. Maybe I'm wrong, but if this is the case it'll still be a completely balls out insane ride and the thought of pairing that with I305, Volcano, Dominator and Flight of Fear is pretty incredible.

Same thoughts here. As long as it's better than The Joker, I'll be happy.

This is the Kings Dominion thread, you either match I305's intensity or go home.

Yeah I definitely sense a Medusa/Storm Chaser sized Iron Horse. That first drop is ripe for an inversion like the aforementioned.
I had forgotten about Medusa (shame on me). Since RMC has done the rollover drop a couple of times, I think it's fair to call that something they do and to speculate that they will do it in other reasonable instances the way that we speculate about wave turns and zero-G stalls. So I do think the lift will go into a curve and then a rollover drop. An interesting take on the Medusa/Storm Chaser drop, though, would be for the turn to bank to the outside and then continue rolling that direction for the drop. I think that would give some interesting forces.

Since the official park map is littered with irrelevant information and geographical inaccuracies, I created the streamlined 2017 TPR KD map, with clear boundaries between regions of the park and all the "important features" denoted. Enjoy!

kd2017mapv1.thumb.JPG.077963eacfcd2cbd378179f227ff71bb.JPG

Guide: "SBNO" = "Standing But Not Operating", pretty self-explanatory; "Closed" = permanently shut down, although there are significant remnants.

Sidenote: I don't have actually have any major issues with the current KD park map, I just thought this might be helpful for the credit-minded among us (myself included) and to emphasize how much room the park has for future expansions.

It's a competitive coaster region, I imagine it would have some sort of marketable feature.

Um, how about "better than InvadR" ?? (apparently someone in this state thinks a brand new woodie is in itself a marketable feature.)

all the "important features" denoted.

... ahem, I believe you forgot something over in Old Virginia.

I give it a C+ at best. Corrected for accuracy.

^^ Post of the year . I know a legendary roast when I see one.

Haha that really does capture most of what's important at the park. Though I would add the very snappable flyers and Grizzly as two rides that deserve to be listed.

Someday I think they should get a B&M Junior Invert. I think it would be the piece de resistance to Planet Snoopy.

I wish both CF and SF would jump on the junior invert ride, be it with B&M or Vekoma.

Someday I think they should get a B&M Junior Invert. I think it would be the piece de resistance to Planet Snoopy.

I wish both CF and SF would jump on the junior invert ride, be it with B&M.

Fixed it for you.

I wish both CF and SF would jump on the junior invert ride, be it with B&M.

Fixed it for you.

Much better!

Having ridden 7/7 of the IBox conversions, I can tell you that even if RMC Hurler maxes out ~100' (like Storm Chaser, Joker, Medusa) it can still be incredible! Medusa is the most intense steel RMC and doesn't have the most impressive surface stats.

Regardless, having I305 + any RMC basically creates one of the best 1-2 coaster punches in the US!