TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

P. 766: Haunt Has Risen from the Grave

It is against park policy, but the airspace above the park is not their property at all. They have as much legal right to forbid air traffic as to forbid you from using your own bathroom, that is - none.

As far as I can tell, the only faa regulation that would apply is flying over crowds, but since the park is empty, this is perfectly legal drone flight. Drones are also not supposed to exceed 400', but I can't tell if this one is.

That aerial shot really highlights Hurler's lack of structure. I imagine RMC will add significant lumber to the ride whilst using the same footprint. I imagine this is why they're already starting, while usually most conversions of Hurler's size start in Aug/Sept.

That aerial shot really highlights Hurler's lack of structure. I imagine RMC will add significant lumber to the ride whilst using the same footprint. I imagine this is why they're already starting, while usually most conversions of Hurler's size start in Aug/Sept.

Also RMC Hurler will (likely) open earlier in the season than other RMC conversions

Technically this will be Cedar Fair's first ever RMC.

Huh? I thought RMC Mean Streak was pretty far along in its renovation; Hurler's reno just started (feel free to correct/roast me if I'm misinformed). The only way that this could be the first would be if it were first to open with an August/September opening, similar to Volcano, which is very unlikely but possible since this is a small ride. We'll see if they address what qualifies as "Really More Coming" tomorrow evening - hopefully that includes a 2017 Iron Hurler opening. Otherwise, we'll be left with an elephant in the Jukebox Diner vicinity for another year.

Huh? I thought RMC Mean Streak was pretty far along in its renovation; Hurler's reno just started (feel free to correct/roast me if I'm misinformed). The only way that this could be the first would be if it were first to open with an August/September opening, similar to Volcano, which is very unlikely but possible since this is a small ride. We'll see if they address what qualifies as "Really More Coming" tomorrow evening - hopefully that includes a 2017 Iron Hurler opening. Otherwise, we'll be left with an elephant in the Jukebox Diner vicinity for another year.

Because Kings Dominion opens for the 2018 season in March, Cedar Point in May 2018. First to open doesn't mean first to finish track installation.

There's a reason they're going cheap this year; one the families need their fix and two money needs to be saved for the 2018 RMC.

RMC Hurler will open before RMC Mean Streak (barring any delays) so it technically will be Cedar Fair's first RMC.

We'll see if they address what qualifies as "Really More Coming" tomorrow evening - hopefully that includes a 2017 Iron Hurler opening. Otherwise, we'll be left with an elephant in the Jukebox Diner vicinity for another year.

Is there some kind of announcement event during the preview? I haven't seen anything and haven't been to a preview night before. I know BGW usually does one on preview day...

Quick question since I've never been to a park preview night: I would just get my season pass processed before the event, right?

I was under the impression that it was only for those who renewed from last year or something.

Edited by SLCHeadache

Why do you need a teaser? You're getting RMC Hurler in 2018. There's no need for a "Watch for Falling Trees" sign, we already know what they're getting aside from the name and layout, none of which we'd get from a teaser on a construction wall.

I actually think building a coaster mid season with no teasers or anything is a great form of advertising. If I make it to Kings Dominion this summer I'll be super excited to see it. Even better, you don't need to be an enthusiast to know that it's a coaster they're building, unlike with a teaser wall.

Why do you need a teaser? You're getting RMC Hurler in 2018. There's no need for a "Watch for Falling Trees" sign, we already know what they're getting aside from the name and layout, none of which we'd get from a teaser on a construction wall.

It's for the general public. Cedar Fair does this with every coaster.

I actually think building a coaster mid season with no teasers or anything is a great form of advertising. If I make it to Kings Dominion this summer I'll be super excited to see it. Even better, you don't need to be an enthusiast to know that it's a coaster they're building, unlike with a teaser wall.

Clearly this is true. In RCT2, my peeps would stop and watch my construction, take pictures and get hyped up to ride it.

Clearly this is true. In RCT2, my peeps would stop and watch my construction, take pictures and get hyped up to ride it.