TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

P. 767: WinterFest Media Night Report

Call me crazy, but my gut feeling tells me that there are possibly three RMC projects at Cedar Fair next year. Canada's Wonderland's announcement is still pending, KD's big hype turned into a big let down, and Cedar Point announced the closure of Mean Streak with no news on what's to come. Something tells me that Cedar Fair and RMC are still working out the final kinks in the designs, contracts, etc. and it may be due to RMC's troubled year with Lightning Rod and the recalls. It probably threw Cedar Fair off and they had to compromise with their capital announcements.

Did anyone else realize that in the background of Snoopy at the fence right by Hurler, there was a poster that said Planet Snoopy on it with the rides they were adding I believe (don't quote me if I'm wrong). I think that we could still see an RMC Hurler, just annouced at a later time. I personally think that this Planet Snoopy "disappointment" is being used to draw everyone's attention away from the closure of WWK, so we all need to chill. Even if we didn't get a new coaster, we should be happy. We got a thrilling ride last year, so its the kids turn, we can't get a new coaster every year and I think we should be glad that we already have 2 world class coasters and several strong supporting ones. Please stop complaining everyone as my homepark hasn't gotten a thrilling attraction in 12 years, and you don't see everyone complaining after we went yet another year without one. They hyped it for a reason, lets just trust they know what their doing. Thank you

What picture? I can't find it

It is on page 1541. I see nothing that would be a sign in the back ground.

Did anyone else realize that in the background of Snoopy at the fence right by Hurler, there was a poster that said Planet Snoopy on it with the rides they were adding I believe (don't quote me if I'm wrong). I think that we could still see an RMC Hurler, just annouced at a later time. I personally think that this Planet Snoopy "disappointment" is being used to draw everyone's attention away from the closure of WWK, so we all need to chill. Even if we didn't get a new coaster, we should be happy. We got a thrilling ride last year, so its the kids turn, we can't get a new coaster every year and I think we should be glad that we already have 2 world class coasters and several strong supporting ones. Please stop complaining everyone as my homepark hasn't gotten a thrilling attraction in 12 years, and you don't see everyone complaining after we went yet another year without one. They hyped it for a reason, lets just trust they know what their doing. Thank you

What picture? I can't find it

Sorry, I am having trouble uploading photos, so It will show up as a 7sec movie. I know that sounds weird but trust me

snoopy kd 2017.mov

Planet Snoopy is used well past age 5. Seems a good investment to take a slight loss to make a customer for another 5-7 years of Planet Snoopy and the park long after. It may not be doing as well as hoped but they're not giving away the whole thing.

I agree that families spend more, but unless they can find a way to really crank up the families business at the expense of other segments, they need everybody.

As to Hurler, I think the park maintenance can do some good trackwork, but the improvement will be short lived with the same trains. So even that route may need to wait. Or just wait another year if that has possibilities. It just sitting there is not entirely negative.

I still contend that Flight of Fear is awesome and I never understood why nobody agrees with me. I love that thing, it's probably my favorite indoor coaster in the U.S except maybe Mummy. Backlot is also a great family coaster as is Avalanche and I'm one of the eight people that actually likes Anaconda so it makes for a pretty killer lineup for me.

I enjoy Flight of Fear, too--but it can give you a good bone shaking from time to time.

I have to admit (and maybe I'm just lucky), I've never experienced that on the KD version. It's always been perfectly smooth. The KI version (while still a great ride) runs bit rougher but I never experienced that at KD.

Hurler will be converted to the world's largest spinning coaster, finally living up to its name. No track work, trim brakes everywhere.

(maybe I shouldn't give them ideas)

Its going to go through a large GCI retracking like most other CF woodies (Thunderhawk, Ghostrider) .02

Thunderhawk did not get any GCI retracking (maybe some in-house but I didn't notice anything), just new trains, a fresh coat of paint, and a lighting package.

Didn't know this before. So CF does do new trains .. sometimes ..

The past thirty or so pages of this thread have given me an unyielding headache.

Speaking as a father of a four-year-old who's tall enough to ride coasters with a 48" requirement, I'm very curious to see the workings of their "Pre-K Pass". Perhaps I can convince the whole family to go on a Virginia road trip next year. Needless to say, I won't be joining Max's boycott.

Has the dust settled yet?

People are convincing themselves that this can't be it and that Kings Dominion is just trying to get them even more hyped up for RMC Hurler. So absolutely not.

how many have been banned?

Just one. Poor madmax, we barely knew thee.

how many have been banned?

Just one. Poor madmax, we barely knew thee.

There was at least two, user mooniefins was also banned shortly after the annoucement because of a post in this thread.

It doesn't really matter how many got banned though, however many it was. This forum is a better place without them.

Edited by SteelForceless

The past thirty or so pages of this thread have given me an unyielding headache.

Speaking as a father of a four-year-old who's tall enough to ride coasters with a 48" requirement, I'm very curious to see the workings of their "Pre-K Pass". Perhaps I can convince the whole family to go on a Virginia road trip next year. Needless to say, I won't be joining Max's boycott.

One thing to remember is to get it processed by April 30th; I believe that's the date.

People are convincing themselves that this can't be it and that Kings Dominion is just trying to get them even more hyped up for RMC Hurler. So absolutely not.

FACT: There is NO proof, anywhere, that RMC Hurler isn't still happening at some point. In fact, there are some very legitimate, FACT based reasons, to think "there's really more coming." So, those who believe it may still happen, have just as much reason to think so, as those who don't think it's going to happen. Again... This thread has become a travesty because of people on both extremes, and neither one being willing to just accept the other as having a valid place in the conversation...

FACT: There is NO proof, anywhere, that RMC Hurler isn't still happening at some point. In fact, there are some very legitimate, FACT based reasons, to think "there's really more coming." So, those who believe it may still happen, have just as much reason to think so, as those who don't think it's going to happen. Again... This thread has become a travesty because of people on both extremes, and neither one being willing to just accept the other as having a valid place in the conversation...

It could happen as long as Hurler stands, but if it is going to occur, can we all agree it isn't for 2017? And that there is no announcement imminent in relation to this?

Right now I'm officially stumped as to what's going on with Hurler. If it doesn't open with the park next year it'll raise a lot of questions, but I agree that we can safely assume that there won't be any major changes with it for 2017. It seems like the only options are that it re-opens, probably with some minor track work or it doesn't and we start this whole cycle over again.

That's where my confusion lies... Why would CP and KD host announcement events, only to announce "that's not all?" It just doesn't add up, but we're almost too late in the season to expect that "something else" to be something big. A small part of me wanders if there isn't some outside force keeping them from making the entire announcement when it was scheduled. Unlikely, I just don't understand them this go-round.

It could happen as long as Hurler stands, but if it is going to occur, can we all agree it isn't for 2017? And that there is no announcement imminent in relation to this?

My stance, at this point, is that 2017 seems ambitious, for an RMC Hurler. Not impossible, but probably solidly in the camp of unlikely. What I do find interesting, is how non-committal Chad was when asked about whether Hurler will be able to be ridden next year... I don't expect him to come out and say much on the topic, but his reply seemed to give some credence to the notion that it might operate next year in some form.

Personally, it doesn't matter much to me one way or the other, as I haven't been to KD in 14 years, and I'm not sure when I'll be able to go back. I just think the mystery surrounding Hurler is one of the more fascinating things in the "industry" right now, and I'm curious to see how it all plays out.

Regarding an "imminent" announcement, I don't think so. But it may be sooner than next year still. One thing I haven't seen many people address, who think there's nothing more to announce, is the fact that the screen literally said "there's really more coming" at the end. That seems to indicate something more will be announced, at some point. But what, and when, and how soon, is anybody here's guess, really...

KD's not gonna call a press event for their park's 2017 announcements and leave out the major capital expenditure for next year, especially since that expenditure would be desired to be open in 7 months time and nothing has happened there as of right now. Like I said before: As long as Hurler is standing, any number of things can happen to it. It can be RMCed, it can be GCIed, it can be torn down, it can immaculately ascend into heaven, it can be transformed by a wizard into gold or a mountain of weed. All are possibilities.

What I'm saying, is that there is valid reason to believe there is more coming to be "announced", even if it's just related to Hurler's status for next season. Yes, an RMC opening next seems very unlikely at this point. But clearly, something is likely to happen with it, and they did tease "more coming", so at this point, expecting another announcement at some point, even if it's months away, is not unreasonable...