TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I'm starting a boycott of KD. Already got over 50 going along with me on social media. Anyone want to join?

We simply cannot tolerate any more of your insanely stupid posts. Banned for being one of the biggest idiots we've ever had on TPR.

Thank you Larry and Robb for banning him. This thread was nothing but a nightmare with him here. Hey with him gone Bill should be coming back now. I'm willing to bet that he's going to try and create another account. Is anyone else willing to bet this?

That would be a bad bet. You know he has already started another profile.

Honestly lurking on this forum isn't that bad. Its mostly what I do, although during rumor season I post a lot.

Was I disappointed by the announcement? Yes. But, I can get over it because KD has the best coaster in the world.

Yeah. Plus KD is the 3rd best CF park under CP and KI. (Although I personally would put KI and KD over CP, because quality over quantity, but I'm just going by the popular opinion.)

Was I disappointed by the announcement? Yes. But, I can get over it because KD has the best coaster in the world.

Yeah. Plus KD is the 3rd best CF park under CP and KI. (Although I personally would put KI and KD over CP, because quality over quantity, but I'm just going by the popular opinion.)

I didn't know carowinds just closed.

I have to give it up to the marketing team at KD. They new EXACTLY what they were doing, and they succeeded! This announcement is getting a lot more attention, and definitely a lot more than most other parks who recently announced 2017 additions.

I have never been to KD, but I certainly cant see what there is to complain about. They have a lot to offer, and a lot that other parks do not have. What am I missing here?

It didn't. King's Dominion is just a more well-rounded park. Nicer atmosphere and better line up of rides. Fury is killer but the rest of the park can't really stand on its own. Afterburn and Intimidator are fun too but everything else is just... meh.

Carowinds has nothing outstanding other than Fury 325 and Afterburn (I really don't find I232 that impressive personally). Their flats prior to 2017 were really lacking, and the rest of their coasters range from decently mediocre to impressively bad. I love Fury; it's my favorite coaster, but the park as it stands currently isn't all that great. In my opinion, KD has a far better selection of coasters, flat rides, and landscaping. Even though I like Fury more than I305 and Afterburn more than Volcano, I still think KD takes the cake in nearly all categories here. Obviously, with so much investment in Carowinds recently, this is subject to change.

It didn't. King's Dominion is just a more well-rounded park. Nicer atmosphere and better line up of rides. Fury is killer but the rest of the park can't really stand on its own. Afterburn and Intimidator are fun too but everything else is just... meh.

I'd rather go to Cedar Point, Kings Island, Carowinds, and Knott's before I go to Kings Dominion.

I'm starting a boycott of KD. Already got over 50 going along with me on social media. Anyone want to join?

We simply cannot tolerate any more of your insanely stupid posts. Banned for being one of the biggest idiots we've ever had on TPR.

Thank you Larry and Robb for banning him. This thread was nothing but a nightmare with him here. Hey with him gone Bill should be coming back now. I'm willing to bet that he's going to try and create another account. Is anyone else willing to bet this?

Honestly lurking on this forum isn't that bad. Its mostly what I do, although during rumor season I post a lot.

You should post more. It makes me feel better about humanity to see someone who's 16 and actually able to form a complete sentence / rational thought. We don't get much of that around here.

And yeah on the subject of Kings Dominion, I know I said this a few pages back but I prefer it to KD and Carowinds and the section that really sells me is the area back by the flyers and flume and international street which is much nicer than the KI version. I guess I have a thing for trees which those other parks are lacking in and KD has a ton of. KD is very underrated in terms of aesthetics.

You should post more. It makes me feel better about humanity to see someone who's 16 and actually able to form a complete sentence / rational thought. We don't get much of that around here.

And yeah on the subject of Kings Dominion, I know I said this a few pages back but I prefer it to KD and Carowinds and the section that really sells me is the area back by the flyers and flume and international street which is much nicer than the KI version. I guess I have a thing for trees which those other parks are lacking in and KD has a ton of. KD is very underrated in terms of aesthetics.

While the entrance plaza to Carowinds looks nice and futuristic, KD's entrance plaza is absolutely beautiful, it's like a grand promenade...

Obviously this announcement does not excite someone like me, a roller coaster enthusiast with no kids, but I get it. Though KD has not added a roller coaster in a while, they have doing a good job upgrading the other parts of the park where they may have been lacking.

In general, KD is a hard nut to crack roller coaster wise b/c they have such a unique, and impressive roller coaster collection that checks off many boxes. Even if they added a new coaster you would hear either:

A. That ride is not good enough compared to Volacano, i305 or Dominator or;

B. They already have a roller coaster like what ever they'd add. For example, if they added a winged coaster people would say 'they already have a invert and a floorless ride.'

As an aside though I thought there social media roll out was cute.

"I won't be renewing my season pass next year, Busch gardens here I come!"...... coming from the same person who will be first in line to enter the park opening day. You went to the park in previous years, why stop now? I agree that KD shouldn't have teased the planet snoopy exapansion, which led to so much disappointed people, BUT, KD arguably has one of the best roller coasters in the world, two of the most unique coasters (volcano & Avalanche), and a top 5 b&m floorless. My home park is SFA, so just be grateful. Our last REAL coaster was batwing in 2001. It is SLOWLY improving, but I would love to have intimidator and dominator at my park instead of slightly overrated, somewhat boring superman and a relocated pile of garbage, apocalypse.

Regardless of all the disappointment and enthusiast entitlement currently happening in this thread, KD still has one of the best coaster lineups in the chain and undoubtedly the most intense giga in the chain (imo), so I can be patient and wait for a new coaster while I marathon backseat rides on I305 next summer.

Lol,..after going back and reading some things in this thread, I don't think the 'enthusiast entitlement' claim applies. I believe most of the disgust is directed more at 'how' they announced for what was given. I really haven't heard the 'they were supposed to add', etc. My opinion is that this type of announcement didn't warrant the 'spectacle'. Some are upset about the teaser with Snoopy looking at plans with the coaster in the background. The teaser was probably met to mislead (get u thinking in the wrong direction) They got you..deal with it..lol... I'm man enough to say that they got me too. My hats off to them.

Bottom line is that they are going to pull some serious gate with family oriented stuff, especially with free 3-5 year old entry. People that would not have normally gone will go next year. Pairing the free pass with new family rides will be a hit. Family FTW; look how they cram into parks for holiday events, no matter the temp.

They still have I305, and my personal favorite: Volcano. Though, I still would ride everything, I actually could take a pass on most everything else.

KD FANS MUST READ

Reasons to invest in families and kids;

1. Families come in larger groups then young adults and teenagers.

2. Families spend more money on tickets and food then young adults and teenagers.

3. Canada's Wonderland one of the chains biggest parks has had tremendous success with expanding the kids area to a very large extent so why not copy and paste?

4. Investing in families encourages repeats visits by these high average ticket spenders which in turn will eventually lead to large investments.

5. Yall started in the kids area at some point before coming to this forum and demanding coasters. Do you all want 5-10 million dollar coasters, or would you prefer the 30 million dollar ones?

6. Cedar Fair knows how to invest in the park beyond anyone on here. Stop trying to act like this is Roller Coaster Tycoon and you're in charge.. They have people in charge of studies and figuring out what's best. The fact that the park keeps growing, means they're doing their job well and to shut up and let them do their thang!

It really seems like a great marketing strategy when you think about it.

I know that most everyone loves or wants to go to Disney, but let's face it...it can be a huge blow to the budget to get your family down for one visit per lifetime, let alone multiple visits. Simply stated, not everyone can afford it.

By CF gearing their parks towards lower (or free) ticket prices for kids and expanding their kids area(s), where do you think a lot of families are going to be planning their next summer vacation/theme park experiences? Throw in some online deals, coupons/groupons, family meal plans and hotel combos at a more reasonable rate and people will come whether there is a new thrill ride/coaster addition every year or not.

Granted, it still won't be cheap per say...but it will be cheaper (and closer) than any of the parks in Florida or California. And that certainly isn't a knock on the Florida or California parks because I personally love them ALL for what they are!

We have family that lives right outside of Richmond and for years, we have been going every year and splitting up time between both BGW and KD. Last year we went to BGW and by like 3:00, Michael's grandson was bored and wanted to go home because there really wasn't enough of a ride selection for him as he is scared to go on the coasters and some of the flats. He freaking LOVED Kings Dominion with their family friendly ride selection though, so where do you think that we'll be going when they do yet another expansion next year? Most likely KD, despite the fact that I would rather go to BGW myself!

I also think that RMC is coming to CF eventually, but people just need to be patient and trust the experts here...they know what they're doing!!

TBH: Free admission to anyone 5 and under in an attempt to score per cap spending from the parents sounds like a desperation move. "We built rides for kids and not enough came. Double down!"

Go take a lesson in business and then come back. The park and Cedar Fair know what they're doing far better then you will ever grasp.

TBH: Free admission to anyone 5 and under in an attempt to score per cap spending from the parents sounds like a desperation move. "We built rides for kids and not enough came. Double down!"

When I worked for a park, one of the biggest complaints we received was "I paid $XX.XX for my kid to get in and they're too small for everything!" I know, not the parks problem right? Well, this helps alleviate that. It's a good PR move and brings a lot of good will to families with small children. I wouldn't be surprised if this rolls out to more parks after a test year at KD. Most stroller age kids get in free anyways. This just expands that a little it now. They will still get cash from families buying food, merch, playing games, etc. It's kinda a no brainer.

But I do wonder where the cut off is. My nephew is 7 but isn't even 46" yet, while his step brother who is 9 is almost 60". Do parents have to supply a birth certificate? Honor system? If a 5 year old is 48" are they still required to buy a regular jr pass?

^^You're talking to someone who understands the business side of the industry fairly well actually. Unlike with 99% of the people on this site when he posts about these types of things it's worth listening to. You don't have to agree but it's not like he's just spewing bull*** like just about everyone else does on a daily basis.

This feels like one of those years where the park did one of those things they "Just had to do". It suprised me because of the presence of Hurler in the marketing and the semi recent expansion done a few years ago. Now I'm gonna whine and be pissed at the park all season, even though I realize it was the best thing to do.

Overall, I'm unhappy but understanding. I just want me a rollie coaster.

How do the flyers at KD compare to, say, the flyers at Carowinds? Those are the only ones I've been on. We are new to the whole flyer thing and SO was able to get some serious snappage at Carowinds. We'll be at KD this week and I'd like to try to get the hang of this mysterious snapping thing for myself, if KD's are possible to snap.