TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

P. 767: WinterFest Media Night Report

Woohoooo!!!! What a massive upgrade from Shockwave! This is exactly what I was hoping for.

It is not a coaster, so by definition, it is not. It's a lot cheaper ride than a new Shockwave-class coaster, however. It shouldn't exclude a coaster soon, although seeing CF lately, another may have to fall to get that.

It would be a new experience for me, however, are thse rides in any way sickening like Berserker or Bourbon Street Fireball? Unless someone can convince it is not, I will never ride. Fireball was the worst experience I've had on a ride in years, almost ever.

I have been on bourbon street fireball and psyclone at CW, and I felt sick on fireball, and I rode psyclone multiple times, trust me, these are pretty tame in the sickening category.

Woohoooo!!!! What a massive upgrade from Shockwave! This is exactly what I was hoping for.

It is not a coaster, so by definition, it is not.

I fail to see how an amazing flat ride isn't a massive upgrade from a terrible coaster. If given the choice between Maxair and a piece of crap standup I'd pick Maxair in a heartbeat, this will absolutely be a better ride than many of the coasters at KD.

I fail to see how an amazing flat ride isn't a massive upgrade from a terrible coaster. If given the choice between Maxair and a piece of crap standup I'd pick Maxair in a heartbeat, this will absolutely be a better ride than many of the coasters at KD.

I just sent a picture of Maxair to my (GP) friend and he wasn't impressed. I told him that I had a lot of fun on it at CP and Delirium would be a big upgrade over Shockwave.

His words:

"Looks kinda average to me. I feel like I can can get a comparable thrill from The Berserker or Da'Vinci's Cradle."

I just sent a picture of Maxair to my (GP) friend and he wasn't impressed. I told him that I had a lot of fun on it at CP and Delirium would be a big upgrade over Shockwave.

His words:

"Looks kinda average to me. I feel like I can can get a comparable thrill from The Berserker or Da'Vinci's Cradle."

Which is completely false, berserker sucks and hurts, and davincis cradle isn't even worth standing in a 5 minute line for.

His words:

Which is completely false, berserker sucks and hurts, and davincis cradle isn't even worth standing in a 5 minute line for.

My response was along those lines. His point is that it's all just "swinging" the riders when you get down to it. My counterpoint was that not all flat rides are created equally and I hadn't ridden Berzerker in ages because of how brutal it is.

^ all Arrows could use that I think. I don't mind Arrows (possibly because I'm tall, possibly because I'm not made out of glass) but enough people have headbanding problems that I think most parks would do well to upgrade the restraints to something more modern.

Arrow trains are designed to keep your hands in the car. You will never see vests on arrow coasters with loops because the clearance ceiling is not enough. Next time you are on an arrow and about to do a vertical loop, notice that you could 'high five' the beginning and end of the loop if your hands were free.

^ all Arrows could use that I think. I don't mind Arrows (possibly because I'm tall, possibly because I'm not made out of glass) but enough people have headbanding problems that I think most parks would do well to upgrade the restraints to something more modern.

Arrow trains are designed to keep your hands in the car. You will never see vests on arrow coasters with loops because the clearance ceiling is not enough. Next time you are on an arrow and about to do a vertical loop, notice that you could 'high five' the beginning and end of the loop if your hands were free.

Why don't they make the sides of the train taller? Or would that look too weird?

Going tomorrow for the first time, and I am wondering if I need to purchase a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo to store my backpack or can I put them in the bins before the station?

Kings Dominion has bins for free use on all their major coasters and most of their flat rides. They let you bring your items with you on the top of the Eiffel Tower, bring them with you on the Americana ferris wheel gondolas, place them on the side of the Bad Apple, and place them on the seats of the antique cars as you ride Blue Ridge Tollway. There's no reason for lockers, unless you plan on going to Soak City and maybe for White Water Canyon.

Why don't they make the sides of the train taller? Or would that look too weird?

There are ways to fix that. I actually used to give that same reasoning, but there are always creative solutions to the reach envelope problem.

I like the way RMC fixed this problem personally:

GASM's old trains (now Ninja's) solved that problem with higher bars on the side.

03-great-american-scream-machine.jpg.4525d7e796326d9d5a012a733957a40d.jpg

With that being said, I've seen some Arrow loopers that allowed riders to keep their hands up. Demon at SFGAm, original Steel Phantom, and Tennessee Tornado ares some of the few that come to mind.

I hear a lot of people saying (read, whining) KD needs a coaster . . . Blah blah blah. But, am I the only one who remember that chart showing all 11 parks and their revenue? KDA is 6 out of 11 meaning it not one od the most successful nor is it one of the least successful. It would surprise if me if the even get a coaster in 2017.

Any news about the land clearing behind intimidator?

I really doubt they'd add a coaster back there. I mean unless they want four coasters in the same plaza circle. I think back by Grizzly and where Hypersonic/Windseeker was/is would be a good location.

I hear a lot of people saying (read, whining) KD needs a coaster . . . Blah blah blah. But, am I the only one who remember that chart showing all 11 parks and their revenue? KDA is 6 out of 11 meaning it not one od the most successful nor is it one of the least successful. It would surprise if me if the even get a coaster in 2017.

I'm pretty sure you'd get tired riding the same crap for six to seven years after a major ride was build.

I'm pretty sure you'd get tired riding the same crap for six to seven years after a major ride was build.

I know I am. The rides are cool and all but we all need something different

I know I am. The rides are cool and all but we all need something different

The main reason Kings Dominion didn't get a coaster these past six years is because of that stupid contract between B&M and BGW. 2017 is KD's first year of eligibility for a new B&M.

The main reason Kings Dominion didn't get a coaster these past six years is because of that stupid contract between B&M and BGW. 2017 is KD's first year of eligibility for a new B&M.

Where did you hear that? I've never heard this. And there are plenty of other coaster manufacturers that they could go to even if that was true.

I'm sure the real reason why they haven't gotten a new coaster in the last 5 years is that a $25 million dollar investment takes a long time to re-coup and it doesn't appear that the park has been doing badly over these last few seasons with the smaller additions that they have added since. The park actually has a pretty decent line-up of coasters already, and while yes, the majority of "coaster enthusiasts" on this site would like to see them unrealistically add a new coaster every year, but maybe that's not what they need?

It's funny how over on the SFMM forum they are dying to get a flat ride, a family ride or something added to the water park because all the park seems to add is coaster after coaster, and here, even though the park has an EXCELLENT collection of rides, we hear people complain that they are putting in rides that help the overall balance of the park.