TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Well, I didn't mind shockwave one bit. I actually like standups, but I understand I'm in the minority. What I won't miss is the lines on that thing. What a capacity nightmare! I would rather have seen hurler go (since they already have other great wooden options at that park, and Hurler sucks), especially since this is the only Togo standup left in North America, but meh, can't say I'm heartbroken that it's going either.

As to the people calling for Anaconda to be next, you're probably right, but I hope not. I wish someone would come alone and offer a bogie system parks can put on their old Arrow trains to get rid of the headache rattling, instead of just scrapping them as if a ride can't be modified. Hell, look at how much better and smoother Phantom is with the Morgan trains!

As to the speculation for what will be going in, I have a bad feeling it will be a pipescream :/ A more hopeful me would bank on one extreme flat ride, and maybe one medium flat ride.

Of course, looking at the footprint, there might be enough land nearby for a midsize coaster. I know everyone is hoping for a launched wingrider, but I bet an ultralight would do well in that spot! Maybe a Maverick-like coaster is a possibility too!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kings+Dominion/@37.8387238,-77.4447545,151m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89b130e911df49fb:0xfb9756c680858525

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apparently the park sent out an email saying that Kings Dominion will open on March 22nd! Oh, did I say March? I meant May. Alpengeist, InvadR and Verbolten are open tomorrow. This comp

Yesterday, after my brief stop at SFA, I fought through the perpetual Northern Virginia I-95 traffic to check out Kings Dominion's Taste of the Season event - a COVID-blamed Winterfest-lite.  And beli

Too bad Volcano isn't still around. It was ahead of its time not only technologically, but it already had limited capacity down to a science.

Posted Images

A pipe scream would be disappointing...If its a flat ride, I want it to be a HUSS Frisbee. It seems possible, and it would fit in the footprint left over. If its a coaster...I'll still be happy. Maverick-like, though? I mean, I305 is kinda like Maverick already, with all of the turns in the middle of the ride. Launched coaster, however? Heck yea.

Anything but a pipe scream though. I just don't like those things.

If Dorney does get Shockwave,

But, who cares about my opinion?

Edited by BeansproutMidget

It really is the end of Cedar Fair standups.

Shockwave wasnt too bad, but the transitions were very rough, the chainlift is almost as slow as a jetcoaster, and you sit on the brake run forever because the loading process is eternally long.

Im actually surprised they're removing it this soon, I thought it had 1 or 2 years left. (If anything, they should have removed Hurler). This basically confirms a new coaster for 2016 or 2017, and I'm sure whatever they replace it with will be worth it

That being said I found this out right after planning a trip to KD yesterday. Im going on July 18th, give or take a day or two, and I'm definitely going to get my last ride on Shockwave. Maybe they'll do a celebration like Carowinds for Thunder Road? I'd like to get some little souvenir. I also want to get in as many coasters as possible so I have a few questions. Will it be crowded around that time? Should I get a Fastlane or Fastlane +? Other than that I should be good

Edited by Coaster Hero

^I agree about the lift chain, but this isn't the "end of Cedar Fair standups", just the end of the contentious Cedar Fair - TOGO relationship (remember the HeadBanger er Windjammer Surf Racers at KBF?). Carowinds and California's Great America still have their B&M standups named "Vortex" (although if the rumors hold true, California's may soon be a floorless). This also doesn't confirm a new coaster for 2016 (although it does significantly increase the probability for 2017, but I'll get to that in a later discussion on a different day when I'm not so tired), and I'd bet that the land is used for two or three large flat rides, one of which will most likely be an upcharge FunTime SlingShot. I agree that flat rides of most varieties are superior to the Shockwave (except for anything upcharge, since I tend to avoid these).

As for your trip, expect fairly large weekend crowds. You should be able to hit all of the coasters at least once (if you stay the whole day), with an opportunity to hit some flats/shows/coaster re-rides (with the exception of Volcano, DO THAT FIRST OR YOU WILL MISS OUT). Good luck finding any Shockwave merchandise, since that ride isn't much for bragging rights (although I'd expect lines to spike here in its final month with plenty of nostalgic fans who will leave green-faced and disappointed). I'd guess that Kings Dominion will do a last rider charity auction, and maybe some giveaways along the way, since they hinted at some "special events", but don't count on anything during your visit. If you're going to focus on Shockwave, don't bother picking up a Fast Lane, since you can't use the passes there, but buy a Fast Lane Plus if you really want to maximize your ride count on just about everything else and/or want more rides on Volcano. Hope this helps!

I say if Cedar Fair can spare Shockwave from being scrapped maybe they can sell Shockwave to Darien Lake, besides we need a new coaster even if it's a used TOGO stand up coaster!

I could see a new coaster going in the are that occupies Shockwave, Flying Ace, and Blue Ridge Tollway.

Sadly, I think this might be what's happening...

I see sadly, because I really like that tree lined path, it's a nice breather in your daily walk

^I agree about the lift chain, but this isn't the "end of Cedar Fair standups", just the end of the contentious Cedar Fair - TOGO relationship (remember the HeadBanger er Windjammer Surf Racers at KBF?). Carowinds and California's Great America still have their B&M standups named "Vortex" (although if the rumors hold true, California's may soon be a floorless). This also doesn't confirm a new coaster for 2016 (although it does significantly increase the probability for 2017, but I'll get to that in a later discussion on a different day when I'm not so tired), and I'd bet that the land is used for two or three large flat rides, one of which will most likely be an upcharge FunTime SlingShot. I agree that flat rides of most varieties are superior to the Shockwave (except for anything upcharge, since I tend to avoid these).

As for your trip, expect fairly large weekend crowds. You should be able to hit all of the coasters at least once (if you stay the whole day), with an opportunity to hit some flats/shows/coaster re-rides (with the exception of Volcano, DO THAT FIRST OR YOU WILL MISS OUT). Good luck finding any Shockwave merchandise, since that ride isn't much for bragging rights (although I'd expect lines to spike here in its final month with plenty of nostalgic fans who will leave green-faced and disappointed). I'd guess that Kings Dominion will do a last rider charity auction, and maybe some giveaways along the way, since they hinted at some "special events", but don't count on anything during your visit. If you're going to focus on Shockwave, don't bother picking up a Fast Lane, since you can't use the passes there, but buy a Fast Lane Plus if you really want to maximize your ride count on just about everything else and/or want more rides on Volcano. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info, but I'm definitely not focusing on Shockwave lol (my body wouldn't handle it too well ) I just want one more ride and I'll be good. I mainly want a ride on Volcano (I missed out last time by heading to Dominator first. By the time I went to Volcano the line was 2+ hours. I ignored the advice someone gave me to do that first) and I want as many rides on I305 as possible because I only got one ride last time. I also wanna do Dominator a couple of times too. Everything else would be a bonus, not necessary, but I would definitely be happy.

By the way it's pretty much confirmed that California's Great America will be a floorless, so that would leave the other Vortex, and I'm not sure what else. 4 standups will be gone by the end of 2015. I think it's safe to say that it's nearly the end.

Also I think 2017 is much more likely than 2016, but you'd be surprised at how clutch CF can be sometimes.They might just surprise you

Shockwave wasn't as terrible as everybody says it was. Granted, it was still my least favorite coaster at the park and I really hope that they put a new coaster in the park to fill that void. A Eurofighter or an Anubis-The Ride like coaster would be great.

I can't believe that Shockwave is the number 2 trending thing on Facebook right now, it is ahead of the Ariana Grande controversy!

I found that a bit surprising myself. I guess Kings Dominion is more well known than I thought.

I wonder how much longer till we see a petition to save Shockwave.

Flying Ace may be leaving too if they need more space for the new ride. I could never understand why they need that ride when they have Windseeker, Wave swinger and Flying eagles?? Plus it is tucked back in a corner so it is not easy to find. Or maybe they may move it to another section of the park.

Great America's Vortex being converted is ridiculous! Why bother? It's such a small ride. Does not seem worth the money or effort. It;s possible Shockwave may go to Dorney. They did get Cedar Point's old freefall Demon Drop, so who knows.

So, they are finally getting rid of that piece of scrap iron in the middle of Candy Apple Grove....YES!!!! I am one of those coaster fans who would normally try to get a last ride on a coaster before it goes away for good, but on this one I will pass. Whatever they choose to put there will at least be something I can ride without being in pain....

I could see a new coaster going in the are that occupies Shockwave, Flying Ace, and Blue Ridge Tollway.

Sadly, I think this might be what's happening...

I see sadly, because I really like that tree lined path, it's a nice breather in your daily walk

Yeah I hope this doesn't happen, but as long as they don't touch the flume I'm happy.

Rode it the first time last month, sucker punched me right in the jaw. Good riddance.

Just build a carbon copy of Volcano there. That ride was simply awesome, my favorite in the park.

I never had a problem with headbanging, but the pain I did experience was severe leg cramping and fatigue, especially during that helix where you're being pushed down into the bicycle seat.

Need to replace it with a launched RMC standup.

It was also recently upgraded with SSS. I don't think they're going for any route that degrades the appearance of the park. The wooded areas do allow replacement attractions to not be shaped exactly the same, but they won't be clearing it all out.