TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

P. 766: Haunt Has Risen from the Grave

a B&M Hyper would be awesome, for the reasons Ape mentioned. it would be unlike anything else in the park, including i305.

so would a big, modern woodie. don't get me wrong, i love grizzly and rebel yell, but they are pretty ancient and small. (hurler should simply be scrapped)

Carowinds' is not going to be re-done. Kings Dominion is overdue for a coaster, not Carowinds, plus Cedar Fair does not clone coasters.

But don't you think eventually something needs to be done to Hurler? I know i was wishfully thinking....Fury 325 should suffice us for now...

At Carowinds, Hurler will either be taken down for a better woodie or get a completely different RMC treatment but around 2020-2021.

I think Kings Dominion would completely re name the ride rather than use Iron Hurler.

Why would KD get a hyper when they already have a giga?? Unless it was a hyper with wing rider trains and a few inversions.

Canada's Wonderland and Carowinds say hello.

I think what he means is why would they get a hyper when they already have a giga as it's taller and faster. One thing is "upgrading" from a hyper to a giga and another thing is the opposite. We all know that if it happens it will be a very different ride from I305 but I guess most people won't (at least initially) think this way.

a B&M Hyper would be awesome, for the reasons Ape mentioned. it would be unlike anything else in the park, including i305.

so would a big, modern woodie. don't get me wrong, i love grizzly and rebel yell, but they are pretty ancient and small. (hurler should simply be scrapped)

If Hurler closes (which it probably will, even before Shockwave), I want some sort of RMC to go in its place.

Here's a crazy idea: convert both Hurler and Grizzly into one big steel hybrid. They could run along each other with two lift hills sort of like Twisted Colossus. But I guess KD wants a higher coaster count, so they'd only do Hurler.

I posted this same Idea a few months ago, although not with the racing. This would totally complete the park's coaster lineup, the perfect attraction on that end of the park perfectly complimenting windseeker. The XLC area could be the new entrance and queue. They could use topper if they wanted a wooden angle. It would be pretty marketable too, as the longest wooden on the east coast, or most inversions, or anything.

Other than that, a Batman SFFT or YOLOcoaster type "gimmick" ride would do well there, very marketable. The worlds largest loop around a park entrance would be captivating, especially next to Dominator's giant loop.

Surely we'll get a family friendly beemer though, a wingrider seems like the surest bet.

The ride could be called "Fury". It would start with the Grizzly part with a blue track and be about the banked turns. Then it could go through the Hurler part and switch to a purple track and be about inversions and airtime, then a grand finale returning to the Grizzly station. The whole thing would be a good 6,000 feet long or so. Oh and it would have two lift hills and four inversions.

While I am drooling over this idea, you guys are smoking something if you think this would ever happen.

No, just imagining out loud, I don't think that's out of character with the thread as it is . I do think the "gimmick coaster" idea is sensible though, especially since it wouldn't cost B&M type money and wouldn't take up much room.

While I have yet to do a full TR from my first ever KD visit 2 weeks ago, here are a few cell phone pics I snapped throughout my visit. I didn't bring the DSLR because it was rather hot and I didn't feel like dealing with it.

I will say that I-305 is the best steel coaster I've ever been on. It didn't disappoint whatsoever. I absolutely loved it!!

Here are the pics. Enjoy!

20150530_110252.thumb.jpg.c21c01844358304f76a8ebdcd8543d6e.jpg

My #1 coaster on my US bucket list. And Anaconda.

20150530_164747.thumb.jpg.5ecce70bfa5f41cbe9c3c4268f5c0887.jpg

From the top of the tower.

20150530_204355.thumb.jpg.83ac0c5b22825c3aabf81461705febee.jpg

Ejector airtime at night.

20150530_164825.thumb.jpg.d8eb0b77a1c2c33d85a238bc2798f112.jpg

Eruption!!

I know people keep on saying a B&M hyper coaster is a downgrade from Intiminator 305, but really the next coaster, no matter what it is, will be a downgrade. I don't think this will matter. I think if the next coaster is brand new and well designed than it would be marketable. BTW, Intimintor 305 is so intense and designed for thrillseekers, so most people are too scared to ride. I think a B&M hyper would be more of a fun, but just enough intense expierence to please thrillseekers and for not so many people to be scared to ride like I305.

Don't know if you saw this but

https://dgg7tpqbqoprk.cloudfront.net/galleries/1431380576-78a3011f052ba9a2770c99720f2c0a7f.jpg

if you were to see in the back behind WindSeeker, you would see a orange and green HYPER COASTER.

Please tell me you're joking, did you actually read any of this thread? This exact picture was discussed over the span of about 10 pages... If you think that this picture means anything besides an artist filling in empty space, than your hopes are totally misplaced.

People keep saying that a hyper coaster would be a "downgrade" but in reality, who cares? The types of rides are completely different, I305 for high sustained positive g's and a B&M hyper for lots of floater airtime. The GP certainly won't care, they didn't complain when CP got Maverick after MF, or when CF got WMG. The only people who will care is a couple dozen enthusiasts who happen to care about statistics over experience.

Hasn't there been a rumor floating around that B&M submitted a plan for MF but it was way more expensive than the Intamin plan?

Yeah I heard that one...but did you hear the one about B&M refusing to go over the 230ft mark on ANY coaster ever...

Ahh, 2009. Back when we thought B&Ms were short and forceless.

^Actually it's sorta the opposite. People think old-school B&M's are intense and forceful (ride any one of the Batman clones to find out) and the new, post-Stengel B&M's are forceless for the most part.

Before 2009, people thought B&M only did things one way, but now we know B&M can do whatever the heck they want (Thunderbird is proof)

Our trip is finally here!

Plans right now call for us to be in KD on Friday 6/19, from Open until ~6pm.

we have no real "plan" other than to hit Volcano first, and then simply work our way thru the park, riding things as we get to them.

of course, we're hoping that crowds will be a little light as it's still during the week, even if a Friday. . plan might change if we get there and it's PACKED. . that might mean I have to do some planning (MAYBE a fast pass? tho we tend not to do those).

anyways, if anyone is in the park that day from TPR and sees us, please say hello. . maybe we can ride some things together (since my Partner won't ride: Drop Tower, Intimidator305, Dominator, and probably a few others.

here's what we looked like in November of last year. . I think we still look similar!

10624759_891808650837134_2998224970770159406_n.jpg?oh=2105bde43198ef50d9c4eb04cf8d87e4&oe=56322F30

I hope you enjoy your trip. After you ride Volcano first (like you said, a must), I'd recommend riding Intimidator 305 just in case it goes down that day (although I doubt it will). Intimidator 305 is obviously the standout of the park and it would be a shame to miss out on it because you skipped it earlier in the day.

I hope you enjoy your trip. After you ride Volcano first (like you said, a must), I'd recommend riding Intimidator 305 just in case it goes down that day (although I doubt it will). Intimidator 305 is obviously the standout of the park and it would be a shame to miss out on it because you skipped it earlier in the day.

good plan, thanks for the suggestion.

I've pretty much already decided to skip Shockwave (the only stand up coaster I've ever been on was Batman at Astroworld, and I hated it). . . only if the line is non-existent will I bother, and hopefully that will allow us to get on all the other coasters, and any flats we want to during our stop there

Don't know if you saw this but

https://dgg7tpqbqoprk.cloudfront.net/galleries/1431380576-78a3011f052ba9a2770c99720f2c0a7f.jpg

if you were to see in the back behind WindSeeker, you would see a orange and green HYPER COASTER.

Please tell me you're joking, did you actually read any of this thread? This exact picture was discussed over the span of about 10 pages... If you think that this picture means anything besides an artist filling in empty space, than your hopes are totally misplaced.

So I visited KD this past week, on the 10th, and i noticed that the ride operators were very slow. Not sure if it was because the park was dead or not, but they were very slow. On the other hand, my trip to the park was good. I305 was wonderful. Woodens gave me a headache for the ages. And for working at a Cedar Fair park myself, i've never seen food prices so high before. Will make a trip down again in the future.

Why would KD get a hyper when they already have a giga?? Unless it was a hyper with wing rider trains and a few inversions.

Canada's Wonderland and Carowinds say hello.

Yes, but they built rides that were bigger than what they already had, which was the whole point of building them.

I don't see why KD would install a B&M Hyper and say "come ride our new ride, it is similar to I305, only smaller".

Is there any way to contact Pat Jones of Kings Dominion directly? I met her at the park a while back and she is a very sweet women. I would like to message her about something directly. Thanks

https://www.kingsdominion.com/contact-us

Your best bet is to just do the general 'contact us' and address it to her. Surprisingly, Kings Dominion does a nice job at passing along the emails to whoever you're trying to contact. It could take up to 2 weeks for a response though.

I wish Pat Jones had a Twitter, she'd be a good park GM to have one - great personality and strong love for the park.