TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

P. 767: WinterFest Media Night Report

^^Kings Dominion is my favorite park for Fastlane, with the exception of Volcano every single ride puts you directly in the station and the most you ever wait for anything is 5 minutes regardless of the crowds. The merge points always seem to be right in the station.

^^Kings Dominion is my favorite park for Fastlane, with the exception of Volcano every single ride puts you directly in the station and the most you ever wait for anything is 5 minutes regardless of the crowds. The merge points always seem to be right in the station.

Volcano's Fast Lane puts you directly in the station now as well! Every time I used it on Volcano I was on the next train out of the station. Wonderful! I don't think I'll ever visit the park again without it.

I never had more than a 3 train wait for I-305, either. My favorite seat was the left seat in the last row. I didn't try the front at all. The only time I even bother with the front row is on the Intamin Accelerators.

Going to King's Dominion for the first time tomorrow, so I came here to catch up and see what was going on. I was almost about to cry when I started reading these posts about I305 being down and hopefully running again next weekend. Ugh, reading this last page of comments was such a relief. I CAN'T WAAAAAIIIITTTT AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I'm being obnoxious, but I can't even sleep that's how excited I am!!!!!

I was able to get 9 rides on I-305 today. They fixed it up good because it didn't go down once from what I could tell.

That's good to hear. I think I've got myself over being scared of blacking out on it, so I'll be a little sad if it's not open. I've made the mistake of reading youtube comments for I305. I'm a little embarrassed about worried about this ride. I've never had a black-out (or grey-out), so it's freaking me out a bit.

Now hopefully the weather forecast will change for June 9.

Edited by KarlyP

^favorite seat?

The ride kicks A$$ in about any seat you ride in, but personally I think the last car provides the best experience IMO.

I agree that the back is the best, both in terms of ride and "value" since you wait only a cycle or so longer for a seat that is considerably better. The front is a close second, but that one has a significantly longer wait. If you haven't tried the front, I would recommend it since it is an absolute rush and exciting to see the twisties coming up.

I usually try to make my first ride on a new coaster the Front row. I'll do the same with i305

This is an any-row coaster, although the front and back are best. If you want my advice, ride front, then back, then get as many rides as possible without worrying about your row after that. By employing this strategy, I got over twelve rides in within 1.5 hours on a slow day.

Hi.. I was wondering if anyone has been to Kings Dominion that is about my size.. I am 6' and weight about 285lbs - 42 inch waist..

We are planning on going next week, and I want to know what rides I will have an issue with.. or should I not even bother going?

Thanks in advance

SS

I'm around 5' 9" with a 42-inch waist and haven't had a problem at KD. My guess is that the biggest challenge for you will be Shockwave. But it all depends on how weight is distributed.

I've never had a black-out (or grey-out), so it's freaking me out a bit.

If it's not something you're comfortable with you can just close your eyes during the first turn and on the way up the first hill. Then you'll never even know it happened.

My guess is that the biggest challenge for you will be Shockwave.

... and if you can't ride Shockwave is that really a bad thing? lol

i305 is fantastic in any seat. it maintains such a consistently fast pace throughout the whole course, even at its apexes. this means that none of the seats have g-forces that are all that much different from the rest. certainly you get more air on the first drop in the back row, but in general it hits most of its hills with such velocity that the speed difference over the top of a hill between the front row and back is fairly minimal.

I am 5'11 40 inch waist and 265. I will be there Sunday. I will post here if i have any trouble.

Well.. thank you, but I will be going Friday lol..

I'm around 5' 9" with a 42-inch waist and haven't had a problem at KD. My guess is that the biggest challenge for you will be Shockwave. But it all depends on how weight is distributed.

Thanks.. that sounds promising.. I have a bit of a belly, but it's mostly spread out evenly.. I am guessing this "Shockwave" is a nightmare? lol

Thank you guys I have some renewed hope! I am starting a diet, but.. yeah.. not going to be enough of a change in a week lol

^The restraints on Shockwave are pretty awkward for everyone, and I imagine even more so it you're tall. Try to ride the front row if you can. At least it's fun through the loop, although the rest of the ride can be rather rough and clunky.

Flight of Fear might be a tight fit for you, too--but you should be able to manage it.

Edited by cfc

I'm 5'11 260lbs, 40" waist. I didn't have trouble getting on anything at KD this weekend. For me the tightest restraint was Volcano but I still had room. Shockwave was very uncomfortable in the shoulders. My shoulders pressed into the top of the restraint, and it was a little difficult to even get my arms in at first.

Shockwave is a TERRIBLE ride though. When I say terrible I mean the only one I've ever been on that's worse is Hades 360. Unless you're a credit whore (like me and many others on here) you should avoid it at all costs anyway.

I've been at the park all day and I haven't see I305 run once. It's pretty disappointing since it's half the reason why I came here, but the park is completely empty though and my group has been re-riding everything. We even got a rollback on Volcano on our first ride of the day. Does anyone know how often Volcano rolls back? We asked one of the attendants and he said this was only the second time he's seen it rollback this year.

^Also, I agree. Shockwave's restraints are absolutely awful. I managed to bash my jaw on the shoulder restraints. The airtime is pretty decent though but everything else about the ride sucks.